General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Shall i do the needfull - 04-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Before i start a bit about me I do have 10 + yeas in the outsource support industry so yes i am part of the problem … :twisted: also I cant spell to save my life... spelling has been a “developmet issue” on I think every evaluation I have ever had. Come on do you want a 5 minn call or perfect spelling.. cant have both.

Now the saga begins...
I am the prowd owner of a mini9 that basically uses it for note taking at church i have the ubuntu preinstall and have stripped the games and educational stuff so i don't have any distractions from note taking
so a day or 2 back i notice that the are some up dates to the dell ubuntu and i install them.
the reboot after the install appers to go ok i dont recall any errors. system appers to work ok normally. i look over at the system about 10 mnn later and clok is froze mouse is not working cant press ctrl aot delet. hard reboot system did not fully reboot i did not ge any menu bars i was aboe to so a soft reboot this time byt the new kernel only boot looped and the old kernel went to busy box
boot off a thumbdrive sees nothing for /dev/sda in gpartd or installer

trying manually to do a dd of sda1 and sda1 also fruitless
surprising system will boot to diag howere I have boot aet to bypass autoxec an config so I can boot vanilla dos to do bios update. So I try to copy config and autoexex bace and get abort retry fail error
messages. I figuer I will try one more old old test
copy con test.txt
this basically should make the console a totally ghetto typewriter so what happens you got it abort retry fail
one more thing to check
cd diags
dir
gets in the the s files and does the same thing.

So I decide I must have a bad ssd so I get on chat with dell

well he sees I have ubuntu and I cant boot and I get the normal answer

Geetanjli_183758 John, it seems to be an issue with some of the operating system files, I would suggest you to contact our Ubuntu support at 1-866-982-8688 or 1-866-622-1947 numbers.

The suport contact was today however I did update my usb key to 9.4 beta night before last so I decide to boot from it again and see if the installer would see the drive and it does not even see /dev/sda so drive must be dead. I guess it is now off to frys to get a cheep cheep usb dvd to try to se if I can reimage from that which I know will not work I will then tell the agent that is not working and will still be told it is an issue with my os files oh and yes the fist thing I did was reset the gosh darnd drive thingamgig.

I have done much more testing than mentioned but who wants to read all that stuff...

I will updat this after i try to reimage the system ...
oh and even though i know better i did not have the documents backed up.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Shall i do the needfull - 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM

this is totally strange the disk is there but it is not there

if i do a
sudo gpartd //dev/sda it dos come up and show a 7.5 unpartation drive
however fdisk sees nothing
cfdisk gets a fatal error and like i said there is some stuf seen in the diagnostic partation..
the partation table must be totaly jacked...

I really dont want to belive this ssd is toast.

edit 1 arrrrgh

I really dont get is i have had gparted showd the partation 1 time when starte from the command line. the stuff is there is in /dev when i boot in ubuntu9.4 but is i start gparted form in gnome never shows anything and fsck is at a loss for what to do wih the disks.
edit 2
starting to look likd somthing might have actually barfed all over teh partation. however gparted still shows no drive and fdisk and cfdisk are not working so a am almost positive the drive is dead all i want is 5 -10 minn of life of mount the dang thing copy my data.
edit 3
might as well just try to install normal ubuntu and see if it works if it does i will get a dev and reshoot with the dell lpia image.

Dell vostro 1400
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Shall i do the needfull - 04-18-2009, 02:29 PM

well they are sending a new drive,

what stinks is the agent accidentally disconnected me while try trying to connecting to his supervisor. and i really did want to appologisie for the 40 mnn chat session. so i am hoping it is just the flash card.

Dell vostro 1400

« Battery life of 13 netbooks compared, MSI U115 emerges victo | Apple: Only good. Dell: Poor and very poor »