General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Please help me in choosing web hosting - 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM

Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (ixwebhosting.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting - 04-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Yeah, whenever a host promises unlimited disk space, realize that if you in fact start using hundreds and hundreds of gigs, you'll find that there is actually a limit, and the host will let you know. I know nothing about hosting24, so I can not talk about their quality personally, but I have used hosts with similar promises and have talked with users who have been booted off for actually taking them up on said offers.

I currently use WebFaction (webfaction.com) and am very happy. They have responsive customer service and a very nice interface for setting up a large collection of apps. They don't give you the "unlimited promise" but instead have very reasonable tiers of service. They also realize that hard drives are getting cheaper and larger, and twice since I've been using them they have increased each tier's max without raising the prices.

I'm not a WebFaction employee or anything like that, and I'm sure you'll find many hosts out there who will more than meet your needs - I'm just letting you know my experience.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9 | Ubuntu 9.04 | 64 GB Runcore SSD | 2 GB KINGSTON HYPER-X RAM | A05 BIOS | US-International Keyboard | Intel WiFi Link 5350 with third antenna | Orange Neoprene Sleeve
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting - 04-16-2009, 01:04 PM

I've been on Dreamhost since 2004. No complaints, more disk space than I can ever use (seriously... I run a message board for a hockey team's fans, and we have video highlights and full games for download.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 09:40 AM

hi,
through out my life i've been with a lots of hosts, but the feature u must look for in a host is the Technical and Backsupport they offer, in my experience
X n Y n Z.com : Search, Register and Transfer Web Domain Names and More offers them well and good
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM

I use both Dreamhost and 1and1 - both are fine choices. 1and1 is more reliable in my experience than Dreamhost, though - with the latter I can usually count on at least 2-3 short outages a month, whereas with 1and1 it's rare to have that many a year.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-31-2009, 04:41 PM

I've been using FatCow for a few years now with no problems, and only $88 a year for unlimited storage and data transfer, check out the moo plan.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP

« These are the CPUs that are shot from guns... | Vostro v13 »