General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Boot time shootout: MacBook Air v. Dell Mini 9 - 04-14-2009, 03:00 PM

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3484 Link contain YouTube video

A friend forwarded me this video that compares the boot time of the MacBook Air to that of a Dell Mini 9 netbook and the results are pretty astonishing.

Keep in mind that this test is unscientific and that the MacBook Air is using a standard SATA hard drive whereas the Dell Mini 9 is using Solid State Drive (SSD). It’s also worth noting that the MBA’s Core 2 Duo processor is much faster than the Atom processor for day-to-day use. Anyone with a MBA/SSD want to do a test?

The more that I use my Mini 9 the more I realize how much Apple is missing the boat by not releasing a netbook. Apple could capture a lot of incremental revenue that they’re currently ceding to Acer, Asus and Dell by releasing a netbook. At minimum, Apple should release a mini-tablet/larger iPhone and with Bluetooth accessory support for keyboards and mice as this could possibly stem the tide.

I don’t buy for a minute that Apple’s not interested in the netbook space, it would simply be bad business for Apple to ignore this white-hot market. Unless you believe that Apple can’t make a computer under $500 that isn’t a “piece of junk” in which case, it’s admitting that its computers are overpriced. Because Dell makes a pretty darned good computer that starts at around $250.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default Re: Boot time shootout: MacBook Air v. Dell Mini 9 - 04-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The linked blog
The more that I use my Mini 9 the more I realize how much Apple is missing the boat by not releasing a netbook.
I'd say that the MacBook Air IS Apple's netbook. Like normal netbooks, it compromises features and speed for portability. But they just don't call it a netbook, because they want people to think it's worth a couple thousand bucks extra.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Boot time shootout: MacBook Air v. Dell Mini 9 - 04-14-2009, 04:52 PM

The Sony Vaio netbook is right around $1000. Apple sells their Mac Mini for $500. I think they could get in the market for somewhere in between. Personally I don't think Apple over prices their products. I've owned three Apple computers and have never, never, and I literally mean never once had one of them freeze. Never had to alt, ctrl, delete. I can't say that about any PC I've ever owned. For the price you're paying you're getting the best customer support (which you won't use), the best OS (usability wise, I can't speak for technical), and amazing quality of product design. You get what you pay for. Just look at their products compared to any PC. Plus, no Windows which is the best thing of all. I'm not trying to stir up the hornets nest, just speaking from my experience.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Boot time shootout: MacBook Air v. Dell Mini 9 - 04-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL
The more that I use my Mini 9 the more I realize how much Apple is missing the boat by not releasing a netbook.
I'd say that the MacBook Air IS Apple's netbook. Like normal netbooks, it compromises features and speed for portability. But they just don't call it a netbook, because they want people to think it's worth a couple thousand bucks extra.
I didn't say that. Please quite correctly or use ""

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default Re: Boot time shootout: MacBook Air v. Dell Mini 9 - 04-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I corrected the quote source.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Boot time shootout: MacBook Air v. Dell Mini 9 - 04-14-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex
Quote:
I corrected the quote source.
Cool.

(#7) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Boot time shootout: MacBook Air v. Dell Mini 9 - 04-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Beautiful background music on the video. Made me all warm n fuzzy and glad I own a mini-9 instead of a 3-4 grand macbook air. Ohh look theres the Adamo, its so cute too especially in the brushed black color BUT i'm not going to pay their asking price for one.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Boot time shootout: MacBook Air v. Dell Mini 9 - 04-17-2009, 01:52 PM

After my osx install I did a boot comparison between my powerbook g4 and an intel based macbook, all running leopard, the mini smoked both of them.

---b

Obsidian black mini 9|32gb STEC ssd|2gb crucial ram| sleep working (usb legacy disabled in bios)|1.3 mp webcam (photobooth and everything is working out of the box)|250GB external cavalry HDD+time machine|bios A04

« Dell Offering Samsung Encrypted SSDs, Security Suite | Battery life of 13 netbooks compared, MSI U115 emerges victo »