General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Jobs Heading up Apple netbook project - 04-13-2009, 11:18 PM

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3680
2008 Steve Jobs called the netbook market “nascent” and in October he dismissed the entire category saying “We don’t know how to make a $500 computer that’s not a piece of junk, and our DNA will not let us ship that.” Since then Jobs has come around, upgrading his remarks to take a “wait-and-see” approach on the diminutive notebook computers.

According to NPD Group netbooks accounted for 12 percent of (notebook computer) unit volume in December, their highest total of the year. Nearly 50 percent of all netbook sales for 2008 occurred in December.

Less than a year after Apple dismissed netbooks as a “wait-and-see” product it may be getting upgraded to an actively-developed project overseen by none other that Apple’s mercurial CEO Steve Jobs. According to the WSJ the Apple’s netbook-like device will come in at a size larger than the iPhone/iPod touches, yet smaller than any of its laptops.

Wall Street Journal reports that while Jobs is technically on medical leave from his duties as CEO, he remains actively involved with business decisions and has completed a 180-degree turn and is taking a more critical look at a netbook device.

Last month Reuters reported that Apple ordered a substantial batch of 10-inch touchscreens from Taiwan for delivery in the third-quarter of 2009. Taken at face value this would indicate that Apple’s leaning more toward developing a tablet Mac than a MacBook mini (nee netbook) – however one doesn’t preclude the other. Apple’s tablet Mac could also morph into a “convertible” form-factor with the addition of a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Personally I’m hoping for an Apple netbook (to replace my Mini 9) and the tablet Mac I had a dream about in 2006.
Bold is mine.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Jobs Heading up Apple netbook project - 04-14-2009, 02:02 AM

That leads to an excellent question:

Would you, after working on the hackentosh aspect of creating your OSX capable Mini 9, trade up to an Apple machine if only for the name?

If all things were the same; 9 inch screen, 1.6 Atom, 2GB memory, 64GB/128GB (coming), what would it take for you to buy a comparable Mac?

Firewire (I know According to Jobs that is no longer in vogue)
Moving eye camera on the outside cover (for video conferencing - I need one of these SO BAD for recording lectures or Class)
Additional USB ports
HDMI
SPDIF
WIMAX
GPS
TouchScreen
Accelerometer
180 screen that works as a tablet
Long-life battery that is not obtrusive
Proximity Battery charging (No connector)

What will actually happen?

I predict the following:

GPS,WIMAX,Touchscreen, HDMI

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Jobs Heading up Apple netbook project - 04-14-2009, 04:30 AM

"Personally I’m hoping for an Apple netbook (to replace my Mini 9)"

To partially answer your question, the writer of the article is looking to go from a Mini 9 to a Mac. The missing piece is he did not mention the OS he is running on the Dell. My guess is he may have a Mini 9 for the hackintosh?

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Jobs Heading up Apple netbook project - 04-14-2009, 05:30 AM

I doubt Apple will enter the market with anything similiar to the mini 9 (or any of the other netbooks) - they would either have to drop the price of their hardware big time thus questioning the cost of their other offerings or merely offer a tie-in with the likes of Dell to sell OSX

« Greetings, new Mac Book Mini(Dell 9) owner | Netbooks, Google Android Look to Thrive Despite the Economy »