General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Anyone Try SSD Tweak Tool? - 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM

SSD Tweak Utility

http://members.westnet.com.au/elpamyelh ... weaker.zip

With all the advice online for SSD hard drives it can take hours of research and fiddling to properly setup your SSD drive. Now with this little app you can Tweak Windows 2K/XP & Vista in seconds.

Lets you Tweak the following:
Windows Indexing Service
System Restore (Only XP)
Use Large System Cache
Ntfs Memory Usage
Disable 8.3 Filenames
Disable Date Stamping
Disable Pagefile Use (Large RAM Systems)[
Windows Prefetcher
Windows Vista Superfetch
Attached Images
File Type: png 2s93r75.jpg.png (52.8 KB, 20 views)

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Anyone Try SSD Tweak Tool? - 04-11-2009, 04:24 PM

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Anyone Try SSD Tweak Tool? - 04-12-2009, 12:41 AM

Looks very interesting and promising.
Hopefully someone more daring and knowledgeable than I will give this a try and report back.

I did notice the discussion and author's link is posted in the SATA SSD devices forum there at OCZ.
Would it make any difference on a PATA device?

A+ Certified,
Tech wannabee!
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Anyone Try SSD Tweak Tool? - 04-12-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileslb56
Looks very interesting and promising.
Hopefully someone more daring and knowledgeable than I will give this a try and report back.

I did notice the discussion and author's link is posted in the SATA SSD devices forum there at OCZ.
i don't believe it matters as SATA is Serial ATA and PATA is Parallel ATA. They are both ATA. I recall adapter dongles that came out to convert PATA to SATA drives. Never really took off as it was more of a pain with no real improvement. Generally speaking SATA introduced more bandwith on a smaller cable and is hot swappable.

From http://www.harddrivereport.com/pata_vs_ ... s_ide.html
"PATA and ATA mean the same. They both stand for "Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment'. The 'P' was added to make the difference clearer when SATA came along. ATA is still the more common term."

I notice you want to become A+ certified. You want to become very familiar with drives for your exam. Before SATA came along ATA was used as in ATA/66, ATA/133, etc. (I wouldn't be surprised if the older standards aren't a couple of exam questions). I was tested on ATA & SCSI drives & controllers. I got my A+ in November of 1999. :shock:

(#5) Old
Guru

Default Re: Anyone Try SSD Tweak Tool? - 04-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileslb56
SATA drives can have NCQ (native command queueing) to increase performance by reordering I/O requests. If your SATA SSD supports it, then I expect there will be less benefit for smart caching by the OS, since the SSD is already trying to be clever.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Anyone Try SSD Tweak Tool? - 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM

People have also said that this works with Windows 7. Thinking of giving it a spin on my Mini...

« High-res Dell Mini 10 option appears across Europe | Dell ranks 33rd on Fortune 500 list »