General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Question Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 10-30-2008, 12:59 AM

Engadget Review Roundup

We were certainly suitably impressed by HP's new Mini 1000 netbook when we got our hands on it earlier this week, and it looks like that may be the common sentiment about the device, at least if this first batch of reviews is any indication. Like us, other folks were especially impressed by the netbook's keyboard, with Computer Shopper, Laptop Magazine, and PC World each singling it out as one of the stand-out features, and CNET going so far as to declare it "the best netbook keyboard" they've seen. Each of the aforementioned sites also welcomed the step up to the now standard Atom processor and, of course, the cut in price compared to HP's more business-minded 2133 model. That's not to say the netbook is without its drawbacks, however, with most complaining about the lackluster 3-cell battery (though that's due for an upgrade in January), as well as those unfortunately placed trackpad buttons and, last but not least, its glossy screen -- although, as is often the case, there's not exactly a consensus on that last point, and Laptop actually lists it as a plus. Still undecided? Then dig into the links below for plenty more details, pics, and benchmarks.

LAPTOPMAG REVIEW:

[youtube:2bc51cog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBBBnqBtAI[/youtube:2bc51cog]

Engadet Hands-on:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/29/h...1000-hands-on/

Gallery:
http://www.engadget.com/photos/hp-mini-1000-hands-on/
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 10-30-2008, 05:41 AM

I like it... I just can't understand those god forsaken mouse buttons
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 10-30-2008, 05:54 AM

I can't wait to get one of those. Too bad it's not available in Canada yet....
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 10-30-2008, 11:55 AM

if i could stand those mouse buttons, i would have just kept my aspire one
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Last time I bought an HP machine (about a year ago) it came loaded with crapware.

It also only came with a system restore image (including all of the crapware) and I could not get the drivers for it from HP so I could not install a generic version of XP on it without the crapware.

I never did manage to fully clean that system.

I swore never to buy anything HP again.

One of the reasons I have always liked Dell is that they provide a full OEM OS install CD with their machines, and the first thing I do is to re-load the OS without all of the 'free gifts'. This is a major feature, maybe the major feature that led me to wait until Dell came out with a netbook.

Having said that, I understand that HP plan to go crapware-free sometime next year, so maybe they will be worth re-visiting at that time.
  (#6) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 10-30-2008, 03:59 PM

Admittedly, does look good.

Keyboards looks like what we should have had on dell minis.

From what I've been told there is a myhpmini site cropping up (but nothing to do with us)

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 10-31-2008, 05:58 AM

Also not a fan of the mouse button layout. My GF has the Aspire One, she actually likes the button layout like that, I hate it. The keyboard is just amazing... I saw the original HP Mini-Note, I love it's keyboard, but wouldn't get it because of the VIA Processor. Now that this has been updated with the HP Mini 1000, I love it. If my battery issues that I'm having on my Mini 9, I may consider switching to the HP Mini 1000 once they release it on the Canadian HP Store.

EDIT: just found one that i'd rather over the HP Mini 1000... the Samsung NC10... very nice... over 7 hour battery life (it's 6-cell) when tested by laptop mag!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM

I'm going to wait for the new year and see how much the 6 cell will cost, the MIE Ubuntu stuff looks really good. I have to say that I am also very very jealous over the keyboard.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 11-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattobilla
I can't wait to get one of those. Too bad it's not available in Canada yet....
Ya, I emailed HP Support Canada, they said that I would have to contact a HP retailer, and I did, they said that there supplier can't provide a shipment date. Hopefully that means it's still coming to Canada. I can't wait to get it, the top two netbooks I want are the Mini9 and or the HP 1000, but right now the HP one looks more promising, and when it comes out with HP's MIE Ubuntu Interface, I'll be the first one in Canada on it .

LOL can't believe we always get stuff last! :x
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Most impressive Netbook yet.. HP Mini 1000 - 11-07-2008, 10:55 PM

I called HP Canada sales division, the guy on the phone seemed to be fairly positive it would be available for sale on the week starting by the 16th of November.... I hope he's right !

« Before you vote, Read this. | 64 bit OS »