General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Opera Turbo (beta) - 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM

Hey all, first post here but I've been lurking like crazy until now.

For those of you who tether your mini to a mobile phone for internet and have limited bandwidth or monthly transfer caps, this appears to be the perfect solution... Obera Turbo (beta)

http://labs.opera.com/news/2009/03/13/

Quote:
That’s why we’ve been working on Opera Turbo, a server-side optimization and compression technology that provides significant improvements in browsing speeds over limited-bandwidth connections by compressing network traffic. This does not only make you surf faster, but also lowers the cost of browsing when you are on a pay per usage plan.
Works perfectly on my mini and saves a decent amount of bandwidth, the only con being image compression and artifacts on most pages (acceptable though -- this is how they save bandwidth)
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Opera Turbo (beta) - 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Wow....great improvements in web browsing finally! This makes a perfect addition to my mini as well. I tested it on my desktop and noticed a huge difference in web page load times.

Great find!!!

It's going to be included in future versions of Opera as well! Just another reason to switch to the best browser available.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Opera Turbo (beta) - 03-28-2009, 01:41 PM

Perfect for tethering.

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Opera Turbo (beta) - 03-28-2009, 09:31 PM

A quick update -- I used this all week when tethering on my commute, it's a great feature and has saved me a lot of bandwidth. I still highly recommend this download. Can't wait until it's part of their mainstream browser.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to Sin Send a message via MSN to Sin
Default Re: Opera Turbo (beta) - 03-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Sounds good for tethering, but I've not been a big fan of Opera in a long time, so I don't expect to use normally. Guess I'll see if they have improved.

My Dell Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 2GB Ram, 64GB SSD, 1.3mp Webcam, Bluetooth
Windows 7 Build 7100

« SSD in desktop??? | netbook of the year engadget awards 2008 »