General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Hotspots and Clearwire - 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM

I just got my Dell Mini 9 (ubuntu) a few days ago...very excited!

First thing I noticed -- all those "free" wifi networks? Well, they just don't exist.

However, that's ok, because my intent has always been to hook this guy up to a Wimax network.

In the meantime, it seems like if I want wifi I have to pay for it. I checked out Boingo and it seems reasonable -- $10 a month unlimited access via hotspots like McDonalds and Starbucks. Any users? Or recommendations for other WiFi options?

Clear/Clearwire. I'm a home Clearwire user in Kent, WA and I like it a lot. Now I see there is "Clear" in Portland that they call a "giant hotspot". That's what I want! ClearWire in Kent has a mobile option, but with a PCMCIA card...can that be connected to a Dell Mini 9 ?! In Portland they offer the USB stick modem for go anywhere WiMax -- that's what I want!!

Mini 9 | 512M / 4G | Default Ubuntu install | $200
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Hotspots and Clearwire - 03-21-2009, 08:37 PM

There's definitely no place on the Mini9 for a PCMCIA card. I'm presently using free wireless at the library because I needed to come pick up a book and thought I'd bring the mini along to look like the geek I am... there is free wireless around, but its availability varies widely by city. I'd be surprised if there is any functional difference between the PCMCIA Clearwire device and the USB one, but getting your local office to put the one from the Portland area on your account might be a pain. Hopefully someday the WiMax stuff will roam/interoperate like cell phones do.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hotspots and Clearwire - 03-21-2009, 11:10 PM

You can get the Intel WiFi Link 5350 which will replace the WiFi card in the Mini and give you wireless a/b/g/n and WiMax. You will have to add a third antenna (easily done.)

My coworkers in the Portland area who have been trying Clearwire have mixed reports - the coverage is not as good as claimed, but when it works, it works well.

A PCMCIA card cannot be used in the Mini.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Hotspots and Clearwire - 03-22-2009, 02:03 AM

Thanks all for the information.

I was reading some interesting articles that says that Wifi can reach as far away as 100 km !!

I'm thinking if I sign up for a hotspot service, even if I'm 2 miles from a McDonald's I should be able to use it.

Mini 9 | 512M / 4G | Default Ubuntu install | $200
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hotspots and Clearwire - 03-22-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabailo
Thanks all for the information.

I was reading some interesting articles that says that Wifi can reach as far away as 100 km !!

I'm thinking if I sign up for a hotspot service, even if I'm 2 miles from a McDonald's I should be able to use it.
The only way you'll get 100 km from wifi would involve at least one mountain and a couple of highly directional antennas. You shouldn't bet on more than 150 feet or so from normal wifi without at least one directional antenna.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hotspots and Clearwire - 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM

A more practical alternative is cellular wireless, the "WWAN" option. This works most anywhere you can get a cell signal (from your carrier) and while the speeds are lower, the availability is higher.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Hotspots and Clearwire - 03-26-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
A PCMCIA card cannot be used in the Mini.
If your PCMCIA card use only USB lines of PCMCIA connector you can use a PCMCIA to USB adapter. Just search for it on eBay, its cheap.

Dell Inspiron Mini 12, 1.6 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD, 3 cell battery, MS Windows Vista.
Want to install internal WWAN modem, replace HDD with SSD or CompactFlash.
P.S. English it is not my native language, so, please, excuse me for its poor quality.

« Adsense bot browsing? | How Long Did It Take For Your Runcore to Arrive? »