General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old

Default Optical Vs Thumb Drive - 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM

I don't know about other people, but personally, I hate CDs, DVDs, and even Blu-Ray. USB sticks are the future. In my opinion, someone (SanDisk I hope) should make a limited-usage or one-time usage USB stick that effectively replaces an optical Disk.

So basically, instead of selling a huge CD and box, etc. Just a small USB stick would be needed, since the majority of computers nowadays have USB 2.0, but not all computers have an optical drive. Netbooks, Nettops, and cloud computing are the future. Read speeds would be a lot higher than on CDs or DVDs, although the price is a bit higher compared to optical disks. Basically, in comparison:

Benefits of Limited-Use USB sticks:
1) Smaller size.
2) Faster read times. (And even potentially faster once USB 3.0 comes out).
3) No Scratches to worry about.
4) No optical drives to worry about. (Maintenance, power, newest technology (blu-ray, for example), internal space)
5) Less power required/More efficent.
6) Multiple USB sticks possible.

Benefits of Optical Drives:
1) Cheaper
2) Industry Standard

Basically, my perfect "Software Installation Process" would either be downloaded, or Via this USB stick idea. Also, the USB sticks could potentially have a female and male connector, so that multiple USB sticks could be plugged into each other, and locked so they wouldn't be lost. Much easier than dealing with optical disks and worrying if they will get scratched.

I just wish there was a way to tell the company some suggestions!

Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Win7100, Bluetooth, 1.3MP, 8GB SDHC, German, No built in WWAN
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Optical Vs Thumb Drive - 03-17-2009, 02:37 PM

As far as the media itself, it's not likely anytime soon. With the price of blank optical media as low as it is, it's difficult to compete with it in terms of flash memory and packaging for a USB flash drive. Perhaps someday we'll have some mesh-computing data network that will allow us to get nearly all files we'd ever need from "The Cloud" nearly anywhere in the world (just before SkyNet comes alive and makes it a moot point, right?) but I think optical media will be the standard distribution format for a long while.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Optical Vs Thumb Drive - 03-18-2009, 05:39 AM

I read somewhere that they will stop selling music cds and will be selling them in memory cards as they are very cheap now.(wal mart has a 2 gig for 10-15 dllrs)

Well see what the future holds.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Optical Vs Thumb Drive - 03-18-2009, 09:45 AM

I got my 4GB for about 7€ a few months ago. That's about $10. Now if that is for a re-writeable stick, you would think a non-rewriteable would be even cheaper (if they can make those).

Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Win7100, Bluetooth, 1.3MP, 8GB SDHC, German, No built in WWAN
  (#5) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Optical Vs Thumb Drive - 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM

They would be more expensive. Fewer people would want a one-write use only stick. Basic economics.

Getting an iPad
  (#6) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Optical Vs Thumb Drive - 03-22-2009, 11:03 AM

They should just sell serial codes in shops and all software downloaded!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Shipment Delayed! | Gamespot article on Netbook gaming »