General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-11-2009, 04:00 PM

One has to wonder, considering the sheer number of refurbs available daily. The last few days there have been 10 PAGES full of systems for sale - most with the same configuration. Seeing as how these units are built in China - where we KNOW the words "quality control" is not in the lexicon - I'm wondering if these are a good investment or not, now. Personally - i don't like to buy anything made in China, even if I have to pay more for a product.

I'd be interested in knowing how many people have had to return their mini after purchase.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-11-2009, 04:34 PM

Over time I have had better luck with Dell refurbs than with their "new" stuff. I had sworn in the past to buy only from the outlet, and was seduced by a price during the sale at the end of Feb. Consequently, I'm waiting waiting waiting....

The refurb stuff should be just that... refurbished since it had some initial problem (and not always because it was returned from a customer, sometimes it's problems found in final test.) In general I'd think that factory refurbs are likely to be as good or better than the first-run factory output, since they're ostensibly tested for whatever sent them to the refurb process in the first place.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadGeek
Over time I have had better luck with Dell refurbs than with their "new" stuff. I had sworn in the past to buy only from the outlet, and was seduced by a price during the sale at the end of Feb. Consequently, I'm waiting waiting waiting....

The refurb stuff should be just that... refurbished since it had some initial problem (and not always because it was returned from a customer, sometimes it's problems found in final test.) In general I'd think that factory refurbs are likely to be as good or better than the first-run factory output, since they're ostensibly tested for whatever sent them to the refurb process in the first place.
Well, that's true, but the question remains ... what kind of QC do they have that so MANY have to be refurbed already? Whether it's a manufacturing problem they catch before shipping or a return - there are still way too many to not ask the question.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Have you compared it to other models available in the depot?

Without knowing any numbers (units produced, sold, returned, etc.) it's all speculation.

None of my friends who have ordered a new Mini 9 have gotten a defective one. None of the Mini 9s or 12s I've sold to clients so far have come from Dell with any defects. From my experience, their quality control is fine.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
Have you compared it to other models available in the depot? Without knowing any numbers (units produced, sold, returned, etc.) it's all speculation.
Sorry, but that is simply not so. 100 or so refurbs a day is a LOT of kickbacks, no matter what the total production numbers are - and there is no way Dell will release those numbers.
Quote:
None of my friends who have ordered a new Mini 9 have gotten a defective one. None of the Mini 9s or 12s I've sold to clients so far have come from Dell with any defects. From my experience, their quality control is fine.
Well - those refurbs are coming from somewhere

It's okay to defend a product and be loyal, but in the present economy - buying anything with a poor track record is just a non-starter for a lot of people.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Is it possible people could be getting them, deciding they don't like how small the keyboard or screen are, and returning them (or the 3G reception "isn't good enough", or it has no CD drive, or the camera isn't good enough?)

Assuming DELL had some sort of 7 or 10 day return policy (minus restocking fee?) could that explain the refurb rate?

(not counting the people who got an Ubuntu installation and complain they can't install MS Office and that it must be broken? So Dell sends out a replacement model w/ Windows installed and they send back their Ubuntu model to go to the Refurb lot?)

What does it take for a model to be sold as a Refurb?

I haven't had any problems yet (knock on plastic) but then I've only had it a short time. On the other hand lots of posters on this board seem to have multiple units, without relatively few complaints.

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#7) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM

In the present economy, these are probably selling like hotcakes. Too many people just don't know what they're getting into when they see that $249 price tag and think wow, a laptop for cheap! Then they freak out when Ubuntu is thrown into the mix, or realize just how small an 8 or 16GB SSD is under XP.

Now, I would expect returns to go back as "Previously Ordered New" into the depot, but that may be reserved for immediate returns. I don' t know, I don't work for Dell. The description in the outlet FAQ says they have "never been turned on, or never fully booted by another customer". Refurbs are listed as "May have been powered on by a customer before."

What happens when there's a mishap at the factor and a pallet of Mini 9s gets knocked over. Do they dust them off, stack them back up, and sell them as new? Or do they write them all off and turn them into instant refurbs after they're cleaned up?

Say want you want about other brands, but most people have heard of Dell and HP. Not so much when it comes to manufacturers like MSI and Asus. My guess is that Dell would be outselling the other netbook manufacturers by a large margin on reputation alone, but the return rate is far higher because they have a much broader customer base, and many just don't know what they're getting in a "netbook".

I'm on my second Mini 9 now, no problems out of the box. I bought another one to get a bigger SSD and Bluetooth, something I neglected to order the first time around. All of my co-workers want one, and two of them ordered on the last sale day (2/27.)

Getting an iPad
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-12-2009, 02:15 AM

I bought a refurb...The sticker reads: made from new, used, and refurbished parts. My interpretation: I am the 1st owner of this Dell Mini. Dell used parts from other Mini returns to put mine together. I could be wrong but this Mini works great.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-12-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
The description in the outlet FAQ says they have "never been turned on, or never fully booted by another customer".
Well ... we know that's untrue. I recall seeing at least two posts here by people who bought "previously bought new" systems that had passwords set by the persons who sent them back, so ...
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Mini9 quality control. Is there any? - 03-12-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks0me
I bought a refurb...The sticker reads: made from new, used, and refurbished parts. My interpretation: I am the 1st owner of this Dell Mini. Dell used parts from other Mini returns to put mine together. I could be wrong but this Mini works great.
Yeah, I think that's most people's experiences. My refurbished Mini had something blocking the lens of the webcam though, so that makes me slightly doubt how closely things were checked before they're sent out.

Not a big deal but pretty annoying to have to send it back when you just received it.

I've also bought a Dell Latitude XT tablet from them and again, works great, absolutely no scratches or anything of the sort. I'd bet that 99% of the time, people get perfectly good computers from the outlet.

« 24 SSDs on a RAID? | Non computer users thoughts on the Mini »