General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Airport Antics - 03-08-2009, 12:22 PM

So this morning (right now actually) I am at the airport and was waiting for the fine people at Delta to come into work. I am standing in line with God knows how many people and this older guy (prob 60's) came up to me and asked if my mini was a laptop. I told him it was and started talking about the specs, before I knew it I must have had 10 people around me just gazing at the sheer beauty that was my mini. It was pretty funny. :lol: Anyhow I just thought I would share. The mini is still ever popular with all, even the older folks!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Kudos to a great product. I always get attention everywhere I go.

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
even the older folks!
Sorry, but this is mythology. The majority of electronic equipment (in the U.S., anyway) is sold to "older folks." "Older folks" have been using computers much longer than everyone else, and we continue to buy them, and to upgrade. Age has nothing to do with what people buy or where their interests lie.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianed
Age has nothing to do with what people buy or where their interests lie.
I stand corrected. Please excuse my ignorance. ops:

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM

It's a common assumption. Now you can be part of correcting it in others!
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM

I'll be 42 this July. My parents on the other hand are in their early 60's and still refuse to recognize that the scroll wheel exists on a mouse. However, when I pulled my mini out of the box last October, my dad was online within 10 minutes ordering a mini9, bummer my mom had just spent her allowance on an inspiron 1525(because it was pink). My Scion Xb was also targeted towards the 18-35 y/o crowd but most owners in my area are 40+ y/olds. My old man even games with my nieces and nephews and kicks their @zz's most of the time. Beside that older folks are the ones that can afford the gadgets.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM

I'm 62, and have been computing since the late 80's, pre-windows DOS boxes. I ran a very successful BBS (you kids know what they were?) and was a hub for the 5 major message bases, 6 online CD drives, off a system I built myself. Moved into websites in the mid-90's and have been programming every since. You can't have had much experience doing this unless you are in my age bracket or close, since you're talking over 20 years.

That said i agree that many of my contemporaries are scared to death of computers and know next to nothing about how they work. Their talents are limited to email and web searching, and they are happy with that. I have many friends who want nothing to do with computers.

It's simply the times. The current generation grew up with computers the same way they grew up with many other things that my generation didn't have until we were adults - like color TV, CD's, digital music, etc. I had my son on a computer of his own when he was 4 (he's 23 now and has built his own last 5 systems), and he's been at it since, majoring in computer science in school.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-12-2009, 02:51 AM

The way I read the OP's comments were that the 60-yr-old guy was one of 10 people that were interested in his Mini.

I didn't see anything insinuating that 60-yr-olds were technologically challenged. Maybe he was just being overly descriptive?

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-15-2009, 03:35 AM

Must people come in here and question the OP about age? Seriously it's not even a big deal worth bringing up. He meant it in a sense that older people probably don't care too much for technology as we younger people do. Some people rather play CD on their portable CD players than buy an iPod. Chillaxx

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Airport Antics - 03-16-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gQstatus05
Must people come in here and question the OP about age? Seriously it's not even a big deal worth bringing up. He meant it in a sense that older people probably don't care too much for technology as we younger people do. Some people rather play CD on their portable CD players than buy an iPod. Chillaxx
A better question might be - why do you think older people care less for technology that you do? And why do you assume all we do is play CD's rather than buy an iPod.

Well ... I don't have an iPod because I don't subscribe to the "latest and greatest - gotta have it no matter what it costs" thinking. I simply think Apple takes advantage of that mind set and overprices every one of their gadgets. Both my son and I have Zunes. Much cheaper and much more friendly technology, imo.

Further - to the point that both you and the previous poster erroneously made ... none of us older folks complained about the OP's characterization of our generation. What we did take exception to was the equally erroneous idea that because of our ages we somehow could not grasp the idea of technology at all.

While it's true that many of our generation are not the least bit interested in computers, the web, etc. - it's equally true that many of your own generation have better things to do than play video games, surf the web, do text messaging, etc.

It has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with curiosity and learning new things. Despite what the younger generation may think, age does not stifle the need to learn new things. In fact, as we age - we realize that we are not quite as smart as we thought we were. That's something the younger crowd should keep in mind

« Just got my mini 9 | What have you got? »