General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#61) Old

Default Re: What Dell stuff do you own? - 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Ellen
My first computer was a Dell Dimension from like 10 years ago... It was a big heavy thing... with a big 19" CRT. haha!
After that thing finally pooped out about 5-6 years ago, I went with custom built computers for a while before I purchased a new laptop last year, the XPS M1210. I still have it and use it frequently. My work uses Dell computers from the Optiplex and Latitude series. And I'm currently awaiting for my Dell Mini to arrive... :P
My first computer was a dimension of the same vintage too, complete with 19" crt. Dimension 8100 if I remember correctly, with a black case right when black cases were starting to show up. I was in middle school, and babysat for a few years to afford that thing. It had a pentium 4 @ 1.3ghz, 256mb of ram, 40gigs of storage, and I splurged on an nvidia geforce 2mx. Funny that the mini I'm about to buy is almost more powerful. I loved that machine to death despite the fact that it ran Windows Me :| Unlike yours, mine still lives on; I brought it to college with me as an ubuntu file server. It sees light surfing/movie watching duty while at home over breaks too.

Other than that, the only dell product I own is a plain jane ps/2 keyboard. Actually, now that I think about it, it's a replacement for the keyboard that came with the above mentioned dimension; when my roommate spilled on the old one, I managed to snag one that was exactly the same from school. I build my own desktops, and the last time I got a laptop, a gateway happened to be on sale that offered the best specs. I'm not brand preferential in the least, I shop for the best value for what I need (or irrationally decide I need :lol: ). That's what makes the mini 9 so impressive. ~$300 for an osx netbook
  (#62) Old

Default Re: What Dell stuff do you own? - 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM

I work at Illinois State University in Systems Support and spent 10 years as a one man support team for a sub-department that consisted of 5 buildings with 120 desktops, 12 servers, 10 laptops, and 85 (Hp Printers). Problems were nil which enabled me to be a one man support team. I got to play with many areas of Dell hardware (except printers...sorry I like HP). I started my computing life with a TRS-80 of all flavors, moved up to a Northgate PC, built many of my own and then jumped into the Dell Dimension line and trade up every so often. Now I own 3 Optiplex GX620 Desktops (1 for DJ'ing, 1 for my weather station, 1 that has no real purpose ..yet) and 1 GX620 Tower for web and music editing and soon to host a Boltek Lightning Detection card. Also I have an Inspiron 1150 for DJ'ing (replaced an 1150 with dead USB ports...now for sale) which just got joined by a Mini 9 Onyx. The weather station desktop collects data from a Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless weather station which updates its weather page every 15 minutes (www.weatherbuzz.net - weather in central Illinois). I just recently got a 16 gb STEC SSD for the Mini 9 and loaded Win Xp on it (I kept the 8gb Ubuntu SSD as a backup). I installed my DJ program AutoMix and am testing the Mini 9 to see how responsive it is to cue'ing tracks, beat matching and library searching. If I use it in an DJ session I would probably bring a 15" monitor with me. All of the computers are networked through my Belkin N wireless network. Now if I could get my wireless webcam to work you could see a view of the computer room. Anyway, you can see that I do a bit more than just surf.
  (#63) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 07:43 AM

if it weren't for the mini 9, i'd never buy a dell anything. i've owned a dell desktop and a laptop prior to my two mini 9s and they were garbage, horrible overheating, terrible form factor-- i'd swear they put no effort into design.

with the mini 9s and having to deal with tech support, i am reminded why i previously decided to not purchase from dell again. my first mini 9 had a bad lcd and it is currently being fixed, so i got to use it for 1 entire day-- half of which i spent on the phone with support. the 2nd mini 9 i only purchased because it was so cheap and who knows when i'd get the first one back from repair.
  (#64) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-15-2009, 12:40 PM

You know, it's interesting.. I keep swapping back and forth when it comes to laptops: Dell or HP. I hate most desktop designs, so it's all about the laptops. I've been pretty impressed with the quality of the Mini 9, which has prompted me to buy the Studio XPS 13 that I have (love it) and now the Mini 10v. Before these, I had an HP Pavilion dv1300 (even though it said dv1000 on the case), and that was a rock solid laptop, probably one of the best designs. I got an HP Compaq 6910p and got rid of the dv1000, and I honestly think it was a mistake. It had the power that I needed, but there were issues with it that drove me nuts. Makes me wonder how it got past QC.

When it comes to servers, it really is a tossup for me with Dell and HP. I have bought and used both, and enjoy both.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#65) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 02:33 PM

I have a new 19" widescreen as well as my Mini9 from Dell. I've always liked their LCD's and laptops.

Since I used to work in computer repair, I absolutely HATE their old desktops though. The ones you had to split down the middle were always a pain to work on.
  (#66) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM

First Dell desktop (Dimension) was back in 1996 -- an ugly beast of a machine. 64MB RAM, 6GB HDD, 15" CRT, Win95. That served me quite well until 2001 (when lightning decided it had to die). I still have it though (and the monitor still works).

2nd Dell was 2003 (after 2 years living off a Toshiba laptop), and I still use it. Original: 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 17" CRT, WinXP. Pretty much still stock except I upped the RAM to 1GB, popped in an ancient 30GB HDD in D: and got a 19" Samsung LCD for it (and wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse).

The Mini9 is my first laptop from Dell, but the rest of my family has used Dell laptops before -- when they still weighed a ton and looked even worse.
  (#67) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 04:32 PM

I have some really old Dimension box, my Mini 9 and; although it is not Dell branded, I have a "Sharp Zaurus," which I purchased from Dell a few years back.
  (#68) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 04:53 PM

Along with my Mini 9, I have a Dell Studio Hybrid 140G that is now my main pc (sits on my breakfast bar with a 20" Samsung Syncmaster.)

Chris
  (#69) Old

Send a message via AIM to KimChee
Default 05-18-2009, 01:17 AM

Desktop
Dell Dimension 5100 (got from work)

Laptops
Dell Inspiron 1501
Dell Mini 9

PDAs
Dell Axim x51v
Dell Axim x30

Dell Mini 9 8gb Obsidian Black XP SP3 Performance Edition..more to come..
UMPC: Fujitsu Lifebook 1120 Touchscreen, ext battery
PPC: Dell Axim X51v Lenny's wm 6.5 Alpha 2 Innopocket Mag Case, Dell Axim X30 624 mhz,
Smartphone: Nokia E61
  (#70) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprobableMiniUser View Post
Dimension 8100 if I remember correctly, with a black case right when black cases were starting to show up. I was in middle school, and babysat for a few years to afford that thing. It had a pentium 4 @ 1.3ghz, 256mb of ram, 40gigs of storage, and I splurged on an nvidia geforce 2mx. Funny that the mini I'm about to buy is almost more powerful. I loved that machine to death despite the fact that it ran Windows Me :| Unlike yours, mine still lives on;
I have the same one. I've had such amazing good luck with Windows 7 that I fired up the ol' 8100 last week and installed W7 RC. It took a couple tries getting the sound card working but overall it runs fairly well.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7

« My (possible) return to mini 9 community | Dell wireless 1510 Help »