General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-03-2009, 05:16 AM

That is the title of a feature on eWeek.com, distributed by Reuters. According to the author(s), there is a security problem with netbooks because: 1. manufacturers do not include security software as part of the package, 2. many netbooks do not have the power to handle good security software, and 3. there is a "relative lack of sophistication among their users" (one expert says that "many netbook users are relative Internet newcomers").

http://tinyurl.com/c4ytum
  (#2) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Price tags as low as $300 mean that netbooks often lack such standard gear as firewalls and other anti-virus software typically found in other computers, leaving them highly vulnerable to attacks.
False.

Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?
  (#3) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianed
That is the title of a feature on eWeek.com, distributed by Reuters. According to the author(s), there is a security problem with netbooks because: 1. manufacturers do not include security software as part of the package, 2. many netbooks do not have the power to handle good security software, and 3. there is a "relative lack of sophistication among their users" (one expert says that "many netbook users are relative Internet newcomers").

http://tinyurl.com/c4ytum
Only partially true. Netbooks were originally designed to run Linux. It was the ignorance of the relative newcomer that forced the manufacturers to replace Linux with the far more vulnerable XP that requires some level of firewall, antispam and antivirus to safely browse the net. Had these relative newcomers actually tried Linux, or opened their expectations to something other than "Why doesn't this Linux thing look like Windows?" we might be in a different netbook world.

Remember, these were intended to be internet appliances, exactly as the author claims. It was the foundering expectations of the end user that forced the move to Windows. Even Microsoft begrudgingly admits this in their ever extending licensing of XP for netbooks.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#4) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-03-2009, 05:27 PM

The reasoning behind the article is distorted precisely because the authors omit the fact that the netbook was intended as a Linux tool, yes. Also, I am curious as to the evidence that netbook users are--as a whole--more ignorant than other users. The reason I say this is because--and this is just anecdotal experience--I have yet to see familiarity with the Internet create more interest in security. People who have used the Internet for years have no clue as to how to keep their browsing secure. I just think it is a false correlation.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-05-2009, 03:28 PM

Hmmm... the headline is misleading in my opinion. But I can see where they are coming from.

ANY unsecured computer used in public settings makes things vulnerable to hackers. And since Netbooks are so small and easy to tote around, you could argue that they are highly likely to be used in public settings.

But they still need to be unsecure, and I don't think there is any reason to think that a Netbook user is more likely than anyone else to have a vulnerable computer.

Certainly on this forum -- which I admit is not a fair sample of Netbook users -- the "computer savviness" is way above average.

- Matt

Matt Garvin
http://www.redfrogconsulting.com
Red Mini 10v, WinXP, BT 2.1, 120GB HD
  (#6) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-09-2009, 09:53 AM

1. True but easily remedied.
2. Patently false. Haven't found anything, "within reason" software wise that I can not run on my mini 9.
3. Partially true. Sure, the barrier to entry is now lower so a lot of people can now afford a notebook when they may not have in the past. Does that mean they are any more or less savvy than a person buying a more expensive computer? I don't believe so.

-Alpha0ero-
MINI 9 Blk:2GB:64GB:Windows 7 (Lab)
MINI 9 Blk:1GB:16GB:Windows 7
MINI 9 Blk:1GB:8GB:Fedora 10/Ubuntu (Lab)
VAIO UX180:512MB:40GB:Windows XP Tablet (Lab)
VAIO FZ190:4GB:200GB:Windows Vista (Main)
VAIO FE790:2GB:160GB:Windows XP SP3
  (#7) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-09-2009, 10:13 AM

This is one of the biggest reasons Linux makes sense on the mini. Antivirus programs are resource hogs. When my mother bought a cheap dell a couple of years ago, I had to uninstall Mcafee in order to make it work. Thankfully there are others that don't use as much resources, but not everyone knows about them.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Wow, this is a bold headline huh? I am going to have to agree with some and disagree with some others. Especially as a security professional. I do not agree that netbooks offer less security. I for one definitely have a firewall and antivirus on my computer along with a HIDS. I also believe that I am an exception, there probably isn't another sole on this forums running an IDS for there mini. Furthermore, I don't believe for a second that people don't care about the security of there computer. In addition to that, most people that this ad is targeting more than likely doesn't use there netbook for anything more than checking email and browsing the internet. I am not saying that it is impossible for hackers to get any information from them but I don't believe its any easier because they are on a netbook.

Now, the fine subject of Linux has come up a couple of times. First, I am a fan of Linux. It has its place in the world and I definitely use it, but not as my primary OS. The accusation that Linux is more secure than Windows is a huge crock of horse manure, at least in my opinion. Does it get attacked as much as Windows? Definitely not. Linux is much easier to get in and around though. For God's sake, its open source software. When something gets patched (most Linux users in my experience don't do that) it only takes a little more time to surf the code to find another vulnerability. Linux users use primarily open source software, each with there own vulnerabilities. I can easily hack a Linux machine faster with more accuracy than I ever could with a Windows box. The reason people feel Linux is more secure is just because no one has an interest in hacking them.

Anyway, I won't go into anymore than that. I think I am heading off in a direction not intended by the OP. I am tired too!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-09-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith
This is one of the biggest reasons Linux makes sense on the mini. Antivirus programs are resource hogs. When my mother bought a cheap dell a couple of years ago, I had to uninstall Mcafee in order to make it work. Thankfully there are others that don't use as much resources, but not everyone knows about them.
McAfee is indeed a resource hog, and unfortunately comes preinstalled on a lot of PCs, but as you say, there are other choices that have no noticeable impact on performance (Norton for one).

I don't think that this alone is a reason to choose Linux, and there are security issues on Linux that are harder to deal with. People should choose the OS that does what they need and which they're comfortable with.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-13-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
The reason people feel Linux is more secure is just because no one has an interest in hacking them.
I chose Ubuntu on a mini9 hoping to be more secure when I use a public wifi hotspot at the local library. My plan was to subscribe to one of the VPN services and log in to that before doing online banking.

Based on your post, I think I need to start reading about Linux security. If you have any suggestions for introductory texts on security, please share them.

Thanks WarMachine for the headsup.

Mini9 - A04 - Dell Ubuntu 8.04 - 512 mb ram - 8 gb SSD - 16 gb SDHC

« Women and Mini 9s | VIA Creates Reference Design for 1080p Netbooks »