General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old
Administrator

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-13-2009, 01:28 AM

Using a VPN, which I do recommend, protects the data you send and receive over the network. It locks out WiFi snoopers. Doesn't matter which OS you run as far as that risk is concerned. The other risk is attempts to break in to your PC using a network-based attack. Any decent firewall will help with that, but Linux systems aren't necessarily a harder target than Windows systems in this regard.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#12) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM

I installed Bastille and clamav from the Synaptic Repository to our Ubuntu 4Gb Mini9 to lock as much down as possible before handing it over to my wife to use. Couldn't put NoScript on Firefox because she hates clicking to allow scripts on every page she visits.

I've been kind of paranoid about security ever since we got the crappy Vista Home Basic installed along with our Inspiron 1501 some years ago. For the 1st week Vista prevented me from installing any Antivirus or Antispyware software until I was able to track down something that was compatible. When I ran my first scan on the system it picked up a keylogger....... not a reassuring experience...... been pounding keys on Linux ever since. 8-)
  (#13) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih
I installed Bastille and clamav from the Synaptic Repository to our Ubuntu 4Gb Mini9 to lock as much down as possible before handing it over to my wife to use. Couldn't put NoScript on Firefox because she hates clicking to allow scripts on every page she visits.
Thanks tmshih for suggesting those two programs and other posters for your advice.

I'm trying to setup a Low-Cost-Pretty-Secure-Mobile-Work-Station. The mini9 will be used primarily for online banking, email and any other activity that I wouldn't want to conduct on the library's public workstations. I'm aiming for a initial cost of less than $225 (dell outlet coupon sale) and minimal annual maintenance (no broadband/software) costs. Plus, I'll be exercising my elderly brain studying Linux at the same library.
edited: I forgot to add in the VPN service which costs about $9 per month.

Thanks again to all who are contributing to my project's success.

Mini9 - A04 - Dell Ubuntu 8.04 - 512 mb ram - 8 gb SSD - 16 gb SDHC
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih
Thanks tmshih for suggesting those two programs and other posters for your advice.

I'm trying to setup a Low-Cost-Pretty-Secure-Mobile-Work-Station. The mini9 will be used primarily for online banking, email and any other activity that I wouldn't want to conduct on the library's public workstations. I'm aiming for a initial cost of less than $225 (dell outlet coupon sale) and minimal annual maintenance (no broadband/software) costs. Plus, I'll be exercising my elderly brain studying Linux at the same library.
edited: I forgot to add in the VPN service which costs about $9 per month.

Thanks again to all who are contributing to my project's success.
Is there a reason why you are paying for VPN?

DD-WRT is compatible with most routers equipped w/Broadcom radios and this opensource firmware can be flashed to support OpenVPN!

(#15) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somms
Is there a reason why you are paying for VPN?

DD-WRT is compatible with most routers equipped w/Broadcom radios and this opensource firmware can be flashed to support OpenVPN!
I was planning on buying into a VPN service based on the information I've gleaned from the internets, here are a few links:

http://www.witopia.net/?page_id=25
http://www.hotspotvpn.com/
http://www.publicvpn.com/

I see your link to DD-WRT but I don't understand how that gives me access to a VPN at a public wifi hotspot unless the Public Library technician is already using DD-WRT on their router or is willing to flash their router with it and set up the configuration. Please help me out here. I can always ask them to implement the service if it's not already running.

(#16) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Same concept as the paid VPN service with the exception that the remote server you are creating a secured tunnel with is actually running on your home computer or in the case of OpenVPN thru DD-WRT, your home gateway router...

(#17) Old

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somms
Same concept as the paid VPN service with the exception that the remote server you are creating a secured tunnel with is running on your home computer or in the case of OpenVPN via DD-WRT, your home gateway router...
Aha, thanks for explaining it. In my case, the library will become my internet access home; I won't have broadband in my apartment.

I'm experimenting with the mini9 as an appliance for remaining online at the lowest possible cost. Now you've got me thinking about eliminating the paid VPN service. It seems like I need to find someone or someplace with an online home computer or router to host the OpenVPN software. The router in the office of my senior citizen apartment building might serve that purpose if the management will agree to the install.

Thanks for the suggestion and link.

(#18) Old
Administrator

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-14-2009, 08:23 PM

I use PersonalVPN from witopia.net. Very easy to set up and quite fast. They have several US servers and are adding servers in other countries.

Steve
  (#19) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Really isn't any benefit to using a paid VPN service over a free VPN solution other than the fact you are using someone elses bandwidth thats how they can get away with charging you for it!

http://www.personalvpn.com/cart/cgi-bin ... &ref=cloak

Looks like witopia.net are using the same hardware that the free DD-WRT opensource firmware runs on but are charging top $$$ for it! :evil:

Even worse...they are just using the free OpenVPN client for their advertised top tier 256-bit encryption paid service... :shock:

(#20) Old
Administrator

Default Re: "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" - 03-14-2009, 10:49 PM

The witopia.net PersonalVPN service doesn't use that CloakBox - I had never seen that before.

If you're happy setting up VPN on your own hardware, that's great. It's worth $40/year for me to have them do it and to take advantage of their better connections and higher-powered servers.

Steve

« Women and Mini 9s | VIA Creates Reference Design for 1080p Netbooks »