General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Ubuntu Awesomeness! - 03-01-2009, 03:43 AM

Hey everyone, new poster. Just got my dell mini 9 yesterday from the outlet(Upgraded to 2GB Ram, 8GBSSD, Obisidian Black, Ubuntu OS), and I have to say I love ubuntu, especially being able to make and use multiple desktops with the screen size. I was looking into trying to install leopard but it seemed like a huge pain in the butt, so I ended up finding this tutorial http://www.howtoforge.com/mac4lin_make_ ... like_a_mac on how to make ubuntu look like leopard. Seems like it bogs down my system a little bit, but I'll deal with it for the looks I'll get. Heres a pic of what it looks like. Hopefully will get some more people on to ubuntu :lol:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot.png (613.3 KB, 38 views)
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Awesomeness! - 03-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Yeah I wonder if you can make the cube work on the dell mini 9. I like Ubuntu too but I screwed up yesterday and loaded ubuntu on my desktop. It erased my XP partition and now I can't connect to the internet even if I'm connected directyly.. That's another issue. The screenshot looks nice. What else do you plan to do to it.

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Awesomeness! - 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gQstatus05
Yeah I wonder if you can make the cube work on the dell mini 9. I like Ubuntu too but I screwed up yesterday and loaded ubuntu on my desktop. It erased my XP partition and now I can't connect to the internet even if I'm connected directyly.. That's another issue. The screenshot looks nice. What else do you plan to do to it.
The cube and almost all of the other Compiz effects work just dandy on the Mini 9 - I use them every day! Remember though that the GMA 950 doesn't support and Alpha buffer - this means no transparency and/or blurring effects, otherwise it works just as good as my Geforce 6200.

Are you sure it deleted your XP partition? It may still be there but lost reference to it on the partition table. If you boot from the LiveCD and browse the HDD it might still show up.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Awesomeness! - 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm not planning on doing anything else to it right now as I'm waiting on a replacement mini 9 due to some issues i had out of the box. But there is a site/tutorial called mac4lin that has a loader that changes up the windows and etc to completely look like mac and the tutorial helps you with the rest. Looked pretty cool and wasnt too bad performance wise, so i'd recommend it to anyone not wanting to take the chance with a full mac osx install.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Awesomeness! - 03-03-2009, 02:53 AM

Dude I'm getting a Dell!!! (missed that guy). Getting mines tomorrow in the mail. It was SUPPOSED to come today but UPS is slacking. I'm putting oSX on mines and I already did all the prep work just need to load it when I get it.

The cube is sweet and I imagined some effects wouldn't work on it. Only reason I won't keep linux on my mini is because I have an iPhone and need itunes and all the stuff I use with my iPhone such as SSH programs, WinSCP, etc.

As for the windows xp, it's completely lost. I screwed up big time and the weird thing is that I was under the impression that when you directly connect to the router that the internet should work! It doesn't. I ran the terminal command and it does detect my ethernet hardware but it doesn't work. I'll figure that out later and plus I don't use my dell desktop that much because I'm always on my inspiron laptop or my macbook.

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Awesomeness! - 04-05-2009, 11:20 PM

Here's a video of my Dell Mini 9 that I got yesterday and installed Mac4Lin. It will have to do until I get my Runcore and 2 Gigs of RAM so I can install the real thing.

http://vimeo.com/4019499

« Icon Names on Desktop | An Out Of This World Netbook »