General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 02-25-2009, 09:48 PM

I am a tennis blogger, and I watch a lot of matches. I have a subscription to Tennis TV, which is high-def. The screen it watchable, but kind of small. If I enlarge it on our huge desktop monitor, it looks terrible, and it also doesn't look so hot enlarged on our 15-inch notebook. But on the Mini, the enlarged screen preserves most of the high-def quality. I can now watch matches on a reasonable screen and still get sharp video. I can also watch in my office, etc. For me, this is a real plus, and one of the things I'm enjoying most about the Mini 9.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM

so I guess bigger ISN'T always better! hahaha

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 03:34 AM

Well said!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 07:34 AM

Years ago I decided to convert my entire DVD collection to XviD videos so that it'd be easy to load them up on a laptop or stream them over my network anytime I had the inkling. However, with all the HD content I've experienced in the years since, I'm turned off to the idea of watching the relatively low-quality XviDs on large screens (I compressed most down to 700mb for a 2-hour movie, which isn't awful but it's not great) so they've mostly sat unwatched... If I want to watch one I load the actual DVD into an upconverting player... But I loaded some of them on my Mini 9 last night and they look GREAT. I'm thinking I'll probably take an old laptop HDD in an enclosure and put them all on there so I can slip it in my case if I'm ever travelling. It worked out beautifully. I can even fit all of my real favorites on a 16GB SDHC card and they'll run fine from there.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Thats a fantastic idea and since they look good that small I think I may do the same thing! I don't know why I didn't think about it before!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-01-2009, 03:38 AM

I would love to put a movie or two on a SDHC for travel but have no idea how. What software is needed? What formats are there to choose from and what makes sense (I haven't heard of xvid) in terms of quality and file size? Are there types of dvd or anti-piracy software that can't be copied? A tutorial would be awesome.

g
  (#7) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-01-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-nome
I would love to put a movie or two on a SDHC for travel but have no idea how. What software is needed? What formats are there to choose from and what makes sense (I haven't heard of xvid) in terms of quality and file size? Are there types of dvd or anti-piracy software that can't be copied? A tutorial would be awesome.
There are entire forums and websites devoted to video conversion, and plenty of software (freeware/shareware and commercial) to accomplish what you're looking for. Check out http://www.videohelp.com as a good starting point.

Getting an iPad
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-01-2009, 04:58 AM

A brief look at that site looks to me like it's geared more towards advanced video people than beginners with this stuff. I see suggestions on having 4 or 5 different applications installed on a system just to convert one file type - a bit extreme for most people. I also note they talk a lot about downloading/converting files from YouTube. To the bext of my knowledge and experience - YT videos are now disabled for downloading. I use both the fact Video Download and FlashGot add-ons for Firefox and neither will download a video anymore. There is a file of approximate size, but opening it gives nothing but a black screen. Same thing with the installed app FLV Downloader.

Damn YouTube!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-01-2009, 05:20 AM

Thank you Wolfkeeper, I will continue to peruse the site you linked, but I agree with Brewster as to the advanced nature of that site.

Phrased a different way, I would like to know my fellow Mini users' preferences in their experiences ripping video from dvd to their mini for personal/travel uses. What software do you use and why, what methods, what formats make sense for limited disk space and our smaller screen sizes, are there pitfalls to storing and viewing video on ssd or sdhc, how large are 2 hour movies in various formats.....etc.

For example....I know Blockbuster allows single view downloads for a nominal fee (approx. $3), but I haven't tried this and netflicks allows over the internet viewing (which doesn't help on an airplane)....it would be nice to have a favorite movie or two that I already own as a choice of entertainment on my sdhc while on my travels.

I have never tried ripping a dvd, and don't know anything about video formats.

sincerely ignorant,
g
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-01-2009, 07:20 AM

It's been a long time since I've done it, but back then I believe I used DVD Decrypter to copy and decrypt the files from the DVD onto my hard drive, followed by AutoGK to compress it into a smaller format (XviD usually, DivX can be used as well). It should be a pretty straightforward process, though it will take a number of hours for the compression to complete, depending on the speed of your computer. There's tons of help out there if you run into any problems.

EDIT: I shouldn't need to mention this, but I will anyway. Don't do this with DVDs you don't own (i.e. Rentals or Netflix or your friends' DVDs), and don't distribute the digital copy to others, for obvious reasons of copyright law.

« Mini 9 featured in New York Times | Good Deal »