General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM

I don't understand watching movies on a netbook. I will watch one on my 15" notebook only if I feel I have no other choice. But then...I think movies look terrible on a television screen.
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianed
I don't understand watching movies on a netbook.
There is no doubt about it, the mini screen is small. The resolution that you get though is very very good!! I thoroughly enjoy watching movies on my mini when traveling. Of course before my mini I would watch movies on my IPod while traveling. So the screen is significantly better. I definitely believe that the resolution is very good though. I do like watching movies on my tv though, but only in Blu-Ray.

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#23) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-07-2009, 09:59 PM

It's got to be better than watching movies on an iPod.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Most definitely! I am flying out in the morning so I am sure I will have plenty of compliments on it....again!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM

I agree with all of you who said how good the resolution is. Yesterday, I had another good Mini 9 tennis experience. It was my day off, and I was watching Indian Wells. But I had to see my doctor, and since she was sneaking me in at the end of the day, I knew I'd had to wait a long time. So I took my Mini with me, watched the tournament with earbuds in the waiting room, then went to the exam room and removed them. I got to see a lot of a match, and when my doctor finally appeared, she sat down and watched it with me for a while. I watch Tennis TV exclusively on my Mini because the enlarged screen still looks good on it.
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-18-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianed
I don't understand watching movies on a netbook. I will watch one on my 15" notebook only if I feel I have no other choice. But then...I think movies look terrible on a television screen.
How is watching tennis on a DVD player size screen different than watching a movie on the same size screen? Objectively speaking?

I believe the intent is to be able to be distracted from one's immediate environment with something that may be less than perfect, however more palatable. To this degree the mini9 does well with a portable devise. IMHO.

Pun & Fun aside, I'm interested in this thread for some of the same reasons as others.

I do have a couple of the options available to me, such as the USB DVD-RW portable and a USB Western Digital 500 Gig portable drive.
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-21-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
How is watching tennis on a DVD player size screen different than watching a movie on the same size screen? Objectively speaking?
It's very different. There is no background context in a tennis match; it is just a tennis match. But a film contains characters, props, action, and physical background, which is often metaphorical or allegorical. Think of John Ford--the rugged western landscape was practically a character in each of his Westerns. Manhattan was--for a long time--a "character" in Woody Allen's films.

If you watch a DVD in letterbox format, it isn't very good, but it's a lot better than watching it in the chopped-up format you see on TV. Scenery, props, and even characters are cut out if the DVD is not in letterbox format. But even a letterbox-format DVD does not give you scenic context. Though all films look better on a very large screen, some "big" films require a large space in order to exist the way they were created.
  (#28) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-21-2009, 04:37 AM

DVD Fab Platinum is THE best DVD movie ripper/conversion to highly portable compressed formats. All of user interface is totally user friendly and processes are automated. Not free, but VERY few ripping programs work with latest DVD protection schemes (such as new added for Dark Knight and Walle) anymore. If you bought the movie, it's your right to make copy for personal use.

Black Mini 9 (free with DSL package) | 2GB Patriot RAM | 32GB RunCore | 16GB Transcend 6 SDHC | TWO internal 16GB microSDHC on USB controller | EETI Touchscreen | Windows XP
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM

Watching videos on the Mini9 is mainly a matter of picture quality. Size is a less relevant issue due to perspective. In the home, the general rule of thumb is to view your TV at a distance of appx 2.5x the size of your screen (give or take). On a 9" screen, that would be about two feet. And I open my eyes like this: :shock:

Mini9, Obsidian, 1.3Mp, 1Gb, 32Gb SSD, 8Gb SDHC, Bluetooth, Ibex 8.10
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmojo
Watching videos on the Mini9 is mainly a matter of picture quality. Size is a less relevant issue due to perspective. In the home, the general rule of thumb is to view your TV at a distance of appx 2.5x the size of your screen (give or take). On a 9" screen, that would be about two feet. And I open my eyes like this: :shock:
Right -- Any time Ive watched some TV show or videos on the Mini, I'm pretty close. Its not bad at all. Much better than watching it on my iPhone! :lol:

« Mini 9 featured in New York Times | Good Deal »