General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 01:11 AM

I've successfully used a program named Magic DVDCopy, which creates a CD sized movie by deleting everything except the movie itself (menu, options, etc) ... but the resulting image is still too large to fit on a mini9. I would guess an option would be to:
1- copy the movie from the CD it creates to HD and try to compress it, or
2- just use an external cd/dvd player.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynwrap582
It's been a long time since I've done it, but back then I believe I used DVD Decrypter to copy and decrypt the files from the DVD onto my hard drive, followed by AutoGK to compress it into a smaller format (XviD usually, DivX can be used as well). It should be a pretty straightforward process, though it will take a number of hours for the compression to complete, depending on the speed of your computer. There's tons of help out there if you run into any problems.
No kidding! The docs mention conversion times of 12 hours for the average computer! To me - that is just not worth it, so plan B is in effect - external drive
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 03:15 AM

What I use for my IPOD touch and what I am sure I will use for my mini (since it has a bigger screen and all) is a program called Handbrake. I used this to convert the DVDs that I OWN so that I can watch them when I travel. There are several different formats that you can convert to and you can choose the level of compression. With the latest update you can convert files other than DVD to whatever file you feel you want. Occasionally you can see a little audio lag with the video on extreme compression. I am talking about 400-500mb 2hr movies. on mp4 which is a pretty crappy format in my opinion but thats what my IPOD will take. Anyhow you can find it at handbrake.fr if you are interested!

Oh this program can be used on Windows or Linux so it is suitable for all types!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#14) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 03:18 AM

+1 on Handbrake from what I've seen of it running on friend's machines.

I use RipBot264 on my Vista rig to convert hockey games that I capture live to MP4 files. An 18GB capture file turns into about 800MB in about five hours.

DVD Shrink can be used to pull a movie off a DVD and give you the base MPEG2 file, free of commercials, menus, extras, and additional dialog tracks.

Getting an iPad
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 03:20 AM

I don't know about it taking 12 hours, I could usually convert 2 movies a night while I was sleeping if I queued them up, so 3-4 hours a piece. The long tutorials on doom9 and videohelp seem to be aimed at people who are looking for the best possible conversion for the space...generally audio & videophiles, hence the complicated set up and customizing settings for every single movie. They're probably tweaking a lot of things and running several encoding passes per film, which will take substantially longer. Using AutoGK, the video quality is great, if maybe not quite as great as they would demand. I'd set two or three (if I was sleeping in) up right before I logged off for the night and was able to get nearly 40 of my movies done in 2-3 weeks with barely any effort (The actual ripping of the DVDs only takes a couple minutes, then you just set AutoGK up to process the queue and you're done, with two freshly compressed movies waiting for you in the 'morn).

This was on a fairly slow PC several years ago, as well. I suggest giving it a try to see how much of an effort it actually is. You may be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: I haven't tried Handbrake yet, but I've heard very good things about it (I think it got voted best dvd ripper on Lifehacker's Hive Five). I totally forgot until the previous poster mentioned it. It's definitely worth a try.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 03:23 AM

+1 on DVD Shrink too. Fantastic program but not quite sure that is what we are looking for as most mini 9 owners probably don't have that much extra space. I have been known to use DVD Shrink to rip the movie then another program for compression, but I wanted to keep it simple. Good call on DVD Shrink though!

-WarMachine
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Reynwrap582, Warmachine, Brewster, and Wolfkeeper,

Thanks for the spirited discussion. It sounds like besides the obvious large file sizes, the sheer amount of time it requires is an obstacle to ripping dvds onto flash or HD for ease of travel with the Mini. Lugging an external dvd drive defeats the purpose of my light travel rig. I might try ripping, still (I like the idea of recording hockey, too), but the time factor makes the nominal price to download a movie from blockbuster not seem to extravagent.

You guys rock to put the effort into making this forum so useful. It is just not people complaining about Dell's service and what they purchased.
  (#18) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM

I guess it also depends on where I'm going to be watching those movies. If I was in a situation where I'd be sitting in my hotel room, I would probably rip them to an external hard drive and use that to carry them around, since power wouldn't be an issue, rather than keeping them on an SD card or the actual SSD.

Getting an iPad
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM

That is a notion too Wolfkeeper. The movies could be stored on an external hard drive then if you need them for a flight or something then you could transfer them to the SSD or an SDHC card. That way if you travel (like me) and will probably watch several movies in your hotel room over the course of your stay then you still have the movies on you and while on the flight you can just transfer 1 or 2 of the movies over so you don't have to have the external plugged in.

-WarMachine
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Yet another good thing about the Mini 9 - 03-06-2009, 05:55 AM

Add another vote or Handbreak (http://handbrake.fr/).

Its a nifty free program. I've used it to convert video to lots of different target formats (iPod, PSP, PS3).

They've got lots of "common profiles" that set all the conversion choices (very newbie friendly which helped me ), but they let you go in and tweak the output settings (as well as I understood them).

I've only used it on OS X, but I understand the Windows and Linux version is equally good.

(lets hear it for good GPL tools)

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )

« Mini 9 featured in New York Times | Good Deal »