General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-27-2009, 12:56 AM

reynwrap582, thank you for what you said in your post. It is all--sadly--true. And some of the most terrible sexism exists on boards people would think would be against that sort of thing. It's the one type of bigotry that almost always gets a pass.
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-28-2009, 12:34 AM

I've been a female geek for a long time, but often hid my gender so as not to provoke comments from the less-enlightened males on various forums and lists. Now I'm starting to "come out" more. That being said, I think women are indeed attracted by beautiful design in any manifestation, whether it be an iPhone, a 24" iMac, or the Dell Mini (especially in colors). I'm not afraid to say, "It is SO cute!" And yes, I own Kindles (1 and 2).

The last frontier, I find now, is age. You can't imagine how many people who talk to me but have never seen me claim they can't get computers to work because they (the operators) are too old. And how many young folk seem to think anyone over 50 cannot possibly understand computers. So I'm proud to announce on this, my first post to this forum, that I am female and 62. I wrote my first software review for The Book of Apple Software (yes, it was a book) in 1980. Switched from Apples to PC's along the way, back to the Mac fold in 2007, and now learning Ubuntu in preparation for the arrival of my Dell Mini 9.
  (#23) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-28-2009, 12:41 AM

Good for you, gracels. My mom, who is 75, has built her own web site and replaced parts in her PC. She teaches others in her area how to use computers.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-28-2009, 07:22 PM

i'm just glad my wife is not interested in these kind of stuff or else i would be spending double the money on computers saved me another 500 bucks!
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 03-16-2009, 12:40 AM

A gender-neutral nick is a beautiful thing. Almost as beautiful as having a Medicare card.

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair.

My Mini, arriving tomorrow, is, as I told Dell sales, "for play". For me learning Ubuntu will be play!

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian - Ubuntu - 1 gig - 8 gig SSD - other stuff when I have a clue what I'm doing!

« RunCore 64gb SSD? | "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" »