General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-25-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
she probably already has..but dell's production's so slow, they're still filling her giveaway orders.

Oh my gosh! I actually laughed out loud when I read this. It would be so true! I love dell but maybe they need to put a few more workers on the assembly line!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Oh come on guys fess up. If we had a woman President the US wouldn't be in the mess we are in. :P
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles
Oh come on guys fess up. If we had a woman President the US wouldn't be in the mess we are in. :P
I don't think this is the place for a political discussion, but whatever.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-25-2009, 03:38 PM

yeah I have to agree with jdizzle. Politics and religion tends to get peoples feathers ruffled up. Lets save that for another forum so we can all be happy!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-25-2009, 09:39 PM

Wasn't thinking politics but you are so right. Thank you.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure the reason women don't participate more in tech forums is because we have been told we are technically ignorant--unfortunately, many women buy into that. Also, a lot of Web forums of all types are extremely sexist in tone, and it does no good to complain about it. I have left forums for that reason. But it's good that women are getting more involved in the discussion.

I also don't think women would buy netbooks for reasons other than men buy them. Netbooks are just really convenient.
  (#17) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-25-2009, 11:03 PM

case in point right here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4132&start=20
"Aunt Myrtle" :?

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-26-2009, 12:52 AM

Hmmm, more women are involved in the computer world than some may think. I just retired from a government agency after 29 years, and there were many, many, women involved in all aspects of our computer systems. It''s a great field for a woman to get into and they probable don't get on many forums because they have other things to do.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles
Hmmm, more women are involved in the computer world than some may think. I just retired from a government agency after 29 years, and there were many, many, women involved in all aspects of our computer systems. It''s a great field for a woman to get into and they probable don't get on many forums because they have other things to do.
This is probably a good chunk of the reason. I participate in several science and technology forums, but my involvement is sporadic at best. When research picks up and school gets hectic- there just isn't a lot of time left over, between my work and home obligations. I also have many hobbies, so each takes a chunk out of my online time. I'm able to justify my time spent on this forum because I needed to research the mini 9 and decide if I wanted to buy one.

(I love mine, btw)

Jessica
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Women and Mini 9s - 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM

I think there are a lot more women on tech forums than people realize, it's just that if they reveal their gender, they're hounded after, either by keyboard misogynists or overgrown boys who think that the internet is a one-way avenue to sex. If it weren't for these populations, there would likely be fare more women actively participating in tech forums. I have seen very mature and intelligent forums go completely nuts when a female member was revealed or joined. I've personally suspended and banned people for sexual harassment of female members. The real world equivalent would be a multi-car pileup accident because there was a woman walking on the sidewalk...That's how ridiculous it gets. I sit there wondering, how many primates figured out how to use a computer, and why did they all end up on my forums?!

The real unfortunate side effect of this, of course, is that tech forums are great resources for information, news, discussion that furthers knowledge, etc., and women who are often turned off to the whole idea, either because they're personally harassed or constantly have to read posts dripping with sexism, are being deprived of these fantastic resources because they're constantly being told they're not welcome, they're inferior, or they should have other, "more appropriate" interests. This is probably why you see so many more women in "gender-appropriate" forums, because they've been forced out by the misogyny in the rest of the forums.

Smaller communities such as this one probably tend to be a bit more attractive to women because the general maturity level is higher. Maturity tends to drop off the more people you have, the petty squabbles increase, and those with sexist attitudes are suddenly more able to shovel their BS all over the whole mess. It only really takes one person harboring some pretty sexist beliefs to spread that all over the forums, because they have a lot of relatively normal people who tend to silently think the same way suddenly backing them up, or at the least, not arguing against them or giving them a pass. Once it gets a bit out of hand, there's little you can do to correct it if you don't really start cracking down (and unfortunately, you'll find that admins and moderators often have the same beliefs or feelings).

As for why women might like the Mini 9 and netbooks in general? Well, they're lightweight, smaller and easier to transport, provide more than enough power and battery life for browsing/writing/media on the go, are low-cost, and are pretty damn cute. Oddly enough, the EXACT same reasons I like the Mini 9 and netbooks in general, and I'm a big ol' manly man. Imagine that!

« RunCore 64gb SSD? | "Netbooks Offer Hackers Easy Access to Data" »