General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM

Huh, well I'll definitely be here regardless. I don't want it sitting around on my front porch all day or going back on the truck. Either option is terrible, though if I had to choose, I'd rather have to wait for it another day than have it stolen. It boggles the mind that anything above 100$ wouldn't require a signature. It will be interesting to see if they require a sig tomorrow.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-25-2009, 01:52 AM

it might also be the cheapy shipping too that doesnt req a sig?
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-25-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
it might also be the cheapy shipping too that doesnt req a sig?
Could be. It has tracking and everything- currently in Griffith Indiana (yay, so close!) I'll be very interested to see whether I'm required to sign for it.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM

lol i can imagine you sitting on your porch chasing down the delivery person as he/she is walking to the WRONG house with your box. hhah i'm sure it wont come to that though
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
lol i can imagine you sitting on your porch chasing down the delivery person as he/she is walking to the WRONG house with your box. hhah i'm sure it wont come to that though
Oh my gosh, it's the stuff of nightmares. Get back here you! That's MY mini! :lol:

Well it's almost three and my mini should be here any time. By seven I should be holding it in my hot little hands!

Jessica, who is deeply, deeply excited to finally have her mini.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-25-2009, 08:48 PM

Well all, my 319 dollar mini came today at 10am or so and dropped it off at the door, rang the door bell, then hot tailed it back into his truck. No signature required for this one. Happy this little baby is here though!!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM

I've had several issues with Dell in the past month. I bought a M1318 for my wife on Outlet and didn't get a tracking number within a couple days of shipment, so I e-mailed Dell and they sent me someone else's tracking information. I pointed this out and they insisted that it was the right one, but after noticing that the Reference number on the tracking site looked CLOSE to my order number, I was able to figure out my actual tracking number on my own, using FedEx's track by reference number page.

Then I ordered my Mini 9, and I never got a confirmation or acknowledgement or shipping email. The order didn't show up in my account under recent orders (but they pulled the funds from my checking account so I know I placed the order), so I had no idea what my order number or transaction number were, and e-mailing a CSR got me absolutely no help, so after some fiddling around their site, I found a way to look up my order info easily.

To look up your order number (Using Billing information):
https://support.dell.com/support/order/ ... ation.aspx

To look up your tracking information based on your order (Reference) number:
FedEx: https://www.fedex.com/AltRefTracking?cntry_code=us
UPS: http://www.ups.com/WebTracking/reference

Just use your Order Number as the reference number, and put in your ship-to Zip Code and it should come right up if it's been shipped.

(I've only tried this with FedEx since I haven't gotten any Dell orders via UPS recently)
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM

Yay! It came last night. They keyboard isn't bad, I can type about 85% of my normal speed with around 75% of my former accuracy. I expect both numbers will rise as I become accustomed to the keys.

One thing though, the mini I ordered was supposed to have a web cam and this one doesn't. All the other specs are the same, except the web cam. I'm not sure what to do. If I send it back and get the right one, if that's even possible, seems more likely I'd get a refund and have to start the whole darn process over again. I know how long that would take and I'm not entirely sure it is worth it. Also, mine was supposed to be a scratch and dent, but I can't find a single scratch on it. There's a little refurbished sticker on the bottom. Does that mean it was refurbished instead? Or do all the dell outlet models, except the previously ordered new, ones come with a refurbished sticker?

Other than Dells screw up, I love the Mini. It's so small, and so quiet! You just don't understand how small and quiet its going to be before you hold it in your hands.

Oh, and the FexEx guy just tossed it up on my porch too.... Insanity!

Reynwrap, thanks for the info! That will be really useful to people know as it seems Dell's shipping notification system is still on the fritz.

Jessica
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-26-2009, 07:55 PM

I vaguely remember a thread recently where the OP received an Outlet Mini that didn't match the specs of the one he/she ordered. I think Dell ended up sending him/her a newly built laptop with the right specs as a replacement because there weren't any matching refurbs available at the time (it was one of the elusive Ubuntu models with a 32 GB SSD). Anyway, if you search you could probably find the thread with more details. In your case, if the only thing missing is the webcam, they could probably find you a replacement refurb without much trouble.

If the webcam is really important to you, I would give Dell a call to see about an exchange. If not, it might still be worth a call to see if you could get a few dollars knocked off the price since you technically paid for something you didn't get, even if it was at a discount because it came from the Outlet.

It's great that your scratch & dent isn't showing much damage. Honestly, I don't quite understand how Dell classifies the Outlet stock. I personally have received "Certified Refurbished" models that probably could have been called "Previously Ordered New" because there was still plastic on the screen and the unit had obviously never been booted. However, I've also heard of cases where "Previously Ordered New" units were sent out with the previous owner's information still intact. I guess you should just consider yourself lucky to have gotten such a good deal!

Mini 9 (910): Cherry Red, N270, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB STEC SSD, XP Home
Mini 10v (1011): Passion Purple, N270, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, XP Home
Inspiron 11z (1110): Passion Purple, SU4100, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Win7
Alienware M11x R1: Cosmic Black, SU7300, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Win7
Latitude 2110: Blue Ribbon, N470, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Touchscreen, Win7
Zino HD (400): True Blue, Athlon X2 3250e, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Win7
Plus a few others not discussed here...
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Dell Shipping LOLZ... - 02-26-2009, 10:14 PM

A couple years back I ordered a Scratch & Dent XPS M1210. It was in absolutely perfect shape, not a single cosmetic flaw (and believe me, I looked). It also had the red Refurb label on the bottom, so I think that's just standard fare for all Refurb/Scratch and Dent models..

I suspect that they're classified as this:

Previously Ordered New: Computers that were either canceled or refused after being built, and were never opened or used by the customer.

Certified Refurbished: Returned with a suspected problem and repaired/rebuilt and resold on Outlet.

Scratch & Dent: Computer that was sent to the customer, opened, and used, and then returned, but not with a problem that needed physical repair.

This is why, I think, there are so many Scratch & Dent Mini's on the Outlet site. People are ordering the Mini 9 because of the low price and attractive size, not realizing that it's not a form factor that they would actually like (or they ordered it with Ubuntu and didn't like it), so after using it a little they return it to Dell, and since there's no problem with it, Dell puts it up on the Outlet site.

I've ordered 6 computers from Dell Outlet in the past (The Mini 9 was the only computer I purchased built, because it was on sale on Pres Day for less than it was available on the Outlet, and I had just sold my M1210), and all of them have been perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any computer on Outlet.

As for the Webcam thing, it just depends on how important it is to you. If you'd rather get a bit of cash back to put towards a bigger SDHC card or SSD or RAM, I say see how much money you could get back for it. Don't let them get away with just refunding the price difference though, you'd only get maybe $10.

Personally, a webcam was a feature I decided I HAD to have. I plan on installing software on it that takes a picture every X seconds and quietly uploads it to my private FTP, so that if my Mini9 gets snagged, hopefully the thief will end up with his mugshot uploaded to the internet the next time he connects. I haven't decided on the software yet but I know there are a few products out there. If I integrate a GPS module into the laptop I'll use that for tracking as well. Plus, you never know what cool facial recognition security software will be out there next. Logging into my VPN by just smiling at the camera? Yes plz.

« Is this a 12V car adaptor? | Rocketdock setup »