General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 02:03 AM

I bought a mini off the Outlet store, 64GB SSD, 2GB ram, 1.3 webcam and bluetooth for $389. This was a deal...all in with tax, overnight shipping and fees was $446. I recieved it a few hours ago and it had 4GB SSD, 512 Meg RAM, 0.3 webcam and BT. took almost 2 hours of talking with customer service and tech support to finally get people that don't know what they are doing. This is why apple rulez, and the premium is so worth it. In the end they are just building me the proper computer that I won't get for another 9 days. Dell customer service is so bad.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 02:05 AM

Wow...haven't seen anything >32GB SSD at the outlet yet and they are usually gone fast!

Sucks that Dell pulled a bait and switch on you... :cry:

(#3) Old

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 04:07 AM

Did you get them to refund the overnight shipping charges? If they would do that, and then give you free overnight shipping when the new one is ready, I would say you lucked out. New Mini, at Outlet prices.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD 1GB memory 1.3mp Web Cam
  (#4) Old

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 05:20 AM

apple rulez??nolite te *******es carborundorum.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#5) Old

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 05:44 AM

Actually Apple makes mistakes too, when my girlfriend bought her Macbook, we went to the store, told them everything she wanted, were quoted a price, agreed and paid. Then when she brought it out we left. After getting to the car we noticed that it was a 17" and not the 15" we asked for, she even charged us different than we agreed (oversight on our part as well as we didn't catch it when signing) They did happily exchange it and reverse the charges, then re-charge her for the one she wanted, when half the backlights died a few weeks later, because of the way the charges were reversed, her warranty was not in the computer, and we she had to make an extra 60 mile round trip to get the receipt on a day when she had other stuff to do before leaving for school out of state (the one in the state she was going to was even further away).

Wow, that was really long winded, sorry, just want to say that as much as I love Apple, and yes at times I am a fanboy, but they make mistakes too, and just the same as everyone else these days, now 4 or 5 years ago, they were a completely different company, imho.

Oh and the mix up would totally be worth it to be upgraded to a new unit from a referb for the price you paid in my oppinion, now lets just hope they send me the exact opposite of the red 512, 4gb, no webcam, no bluetooth I just got for $189 no coupon yesterday
  (#6) Old

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 09:58 AM

I should clarify, the worst part of the situation was not getting the wrong gear, sure it was annoying though, but having to spend 2 hours on the phone getting transferred between 8 indians to finally get someone who could do something. Apple at least you speak with 1 dude in colorado and they handle things. BTW, apple once made a mistake where i ended up getting a free laptop.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 11:55 AM

When I bought my first Dell desktop, some 16 years ago, PCs for the UK were assembled in Ireland. And technical support were in Ireland too. They were very helpful, knew what they were talking about and were generally great to deal with. Now their call centre is another place beginning with "I" dealing with them over the 'phone is just painful.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 12:35 PM

Ok, you got me on the India thing and Apple being in Colorado, it is very annoying to talk to someone named Abraham Lincoln (no joke, one time the guy stated that was his name) who could barely speak english. When I bought my first Powerbook, I was browsing online and kept putting different ones in my cart, Apple called me to see if I needed help deciding, and even offered a coupon to seal the deal.... But I don't think they do that anymore.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM

When is Dell going to start that tiered premium support thing. I myself detest paying extra for things like that, but I must admit paying the extra cash to talk to John in Milwaukee instead of Hodgie from Bangladesh for tech support is a pretty appealing offer.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD 1GB memory 1.3mp Web Cam
  (#10) Old

Default Re: dell shipped me the wrong mini. - 02-14-2009, 04:49 PM

They've already got it, but it's only available when you price out a Windows model.

[attachment=0:1q5jd9xq]dell.JPG[/attachment:1q5jd9xq]

Note on the left where it says, "Dell's best trained North American techs."

... so I guess they could be Canadian or Mexican. :lol:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dell.JPG (57.4 KB, 26 views)

« Hi I'm new | multitrack audio recording with mini 9 »