General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default terrible dell service reps - 02-13-2009, 08:59 PM

I ordered a new dell mini myself. I asked some questions on the live chat. the service person on the live chat answered the questions poorly, but told me he could place orders. I asked him if he could give me a discount. he said yes. what follows is an actual cut and paste of the conversation:

10:16:33 AM
(me) that includes shipping?
10:16:44 AM
CBQ_SL_Jered yep
10:17:00 AM
(me) sounds good, lets go over the specs again to make sure
10:19:24 AM
CBQ_SL_Jered white, XP, 1gb RAM, 16gb Hard drive, it comes with mcaffe for 30 (trail)
10:19:44 AM
CBQ_SL_Jered **Trial

we went over this 3 times. anyway he process the order we say goodbye and i check my email. my email says i am getting a black, xp, 512meg,8 gig mini 9. pretty much the exact opposite of what i ordered. i immediatley called their customer service number and explained how just 5 minutes ago i a service rep placed an inncorrect order for me. the new person said the order could not be canceled. i would have to send back the mini 9 once i got it. I argued some but she kept telling me there was no way to cancel the order or change it. i tried to make sure "Jared" got in trouble, but i doubt it. i thought dell was good, but i was weong. this mini 9 better kick a** to make up for the terrible service.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 02-13-2009, 09:37 PM

Whoever said that you cannot cancel the order must be mistaken. I ordered my first Mini 9 (Cherry Red, Win XP, 1 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD) via Dell's website on Dec. 5. After not receiving an email confirming the order for 3 days, I called the customer service center and was informed that the order had not gone through. They proceeded to place the order again and stayed on the phone with me to make sure that I received a confirmation email. The very next day I got ANOTHER order confirmation for my original online order. I called the customer service center again and they were very friendly and helpful. They immediately canceled the duplicate order and even knocked a few dollars off the correct order for my trouble.

While speaking with the cancellation department, I was told that orders can be canceled up to the time they enter production (ie. they start building the machine). I highly doubt that your order entered production so quickly, so there should be no reason that you can't cancel the order. I would call back and try for a different customer service rep. Based on my own experience and what I've read here, it seems very possible that you would get a different answer if you try again.

Good luck! FWIW, the Mini 9 is a great machine. In fact, I like mine so much that I just ordered another one (an outlet refurb this time).

Mini 9 (910): Cherry Red, N270, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB STEC SSD, XP Home
Mini 10v (1011): Passion Purple, N270, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, XP Home
Inspiron 11z (1110): Passion Purple, SU4100, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Win7
Alienware M11x R1: Cosmic Black, SU7300, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Win7
Latitude 2110: Blue Ribbon, N470, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Touchscreen, Win7
Zino HD (400): True Blue, Athlon X2 3250e, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Win7
Plus a few others not discussed here...
  (#3) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 02-15-2009, 07:45 AM

Dell's service is pretty terrible. In fact, I've never encountered worse. I bought a monitor through them and tried to swap it for a replacement because the monitor was bad. After figuring out (a week later) that the replacement order didn't go through, I was on the phone for over an hour and talked with 11 different people (all reps from India who didn't bother taking any time to actually help me) trying to get it sorted out. I eventually got mad and asked for a supervisor, who hung up on me while connecting me to "someone who could help." I ended up just outright returning the original monitor, and then I ordered another one. I was on hold for another 45 mins before being connected with returns. The refund also took over two weeks after they received it.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM

My experience with Dell support has been good, but I suppose it depends, as it usually does, on whom you get.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM

I've never had a problem with Dell support. Then again, all of my experience has to do with Optiplex desktops, Latitude laptops and server support, all of which is North America-based :mrgreen:

You get what you pay for unfortunately.

Getting an iPad
  (#6) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 02-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Anytime I order something from DELL and do it by myself EVERYTHING goes perfect. Anytime a service agent is involved, my order gets screwed up. Anytime. This ranges from consistently sending orders to my billing address and not my shipping address, to sending me the wrong video card twice after having DELL rep look up part number on chat.(and sending it to wrong address both times after confirming ship-to address was correct.) Lets not even go into their rebate policies/tactics.

My advice to the world, AVOID talking to anybody at DELL unless absolutely necessary. And if you have to, make them confirm ALL info(order,ship-to, config,whatever it is) before letting the rep go. From personal experiance, even this is not enough- My very first order with them- 2 Diminsion 4200+1 Diminsion 4600- we recieved 1-4200 as promised, the other 4200 and the 4600 were *mysteriously* shipped to someone in Ohio(I live in Cali) and reflected as being delivered to me.
Took about a month to straighten that one out, they even said they would remove shipping charges for my hassle even though it was free shipping to begin with.lol

Like a crackhead in need of rock- I keep coming back, but in their defense- I have NEVER had a problem with any system I have received from them, regardless of the hoops I had to jump through to get it.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#7) Old

Send a message via MSN to 273BeLow
Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM

I had a rather odd problem when ordering mine, did everything online and got a call later in day from someone obviously calling from India asking me to call back, well was claling back for an hour with no luck (some advantages of being bored in work). After that I called the general number and ended up getting through to someone, again in India who started going on about the first person had stopped my order as the shipping/billing addresses did not match, at this point I was a bit confused as I'm 99% sure the web site had a "click here if shipping and billing address is the same" button so you only need to fill out your address once.

They told me they could not find any record of them even though I had their extension.. at this point I hung up, not exactly great but anyone who has had to deal with that kind of things knows you probably wont get any further, rang back again and got someone who I explained the situation to, they seemed to have half a clue and told me the first person had made a mistake (how do you mistake the same address twice being different?!) and told me everything was going through now and had a new order number.

Was a pain at the time especially not being able to get through to person who left me the message at first although given what looks like their mistake probably for the best!

Just don't understand why they can't have a set up to wait for a specific person when you have their extension and are supposed to speak to them!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 03-03-2009, 02:47 AM

No offense but you should call and speak to someone from America. Sometimes the call centers that are outsourced are poorly trained. I remember calling dell for an issue on my wireless and I spent like 3 hours on the phone with some people from india. I kept asking them to escalate me to a higher tech dept and they said none existed. After the 3 hours they transferred me to a call center in America. The guy fixed my problem in like 5 minutes tops (not including the reboot). It's annoying to have to call and explain your issue all over again etc.

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#9) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 03-04-2009, 07:38 AM

Dealing with Dell (at least sales) reminds me a lot of dealing with my old cable/high-speed provider, Rogers Cable. Whenever I had a problem with my service and would call up support, invariably you'd get someone that could barely speak English (fair enough) and would ask you the most inane questions ever. Usually their scripts go on about making sure the modem is plugged in, which eventually progresses to, "you need to reinstall your TCP/IP stack". The best is when they don't realize that you have more than one computer and they try and to tell you your network card is defective. Uh huh. :lol:

My experience with trying to buy my Mini 9 from Dell was so frustrating that I ended up just buying it from Best Buy. All I wanted them to do was match the price at Best Buy so that I could upgrade the unit with additional features (webcam, BT, etc). I could tell the person I was speaking with was probably helping more than one person and he seemed completely indifferent and oblivious to what I was asking. The only reason I didn't completely drop the idea of buying the Mini 9 was that I've had nothing but good experiences with Dell Latitudes. I usually got to deal with the corporate care side of Dell, which is apparently a whole different ballgame as the techs were knowledgeable, well-spoken, and genuinely seemed to care about your concerns.

These netbooks seem to be about as disposable as cell phones, so If I get at least two trouble-free years out of my Mini 9, I'll be happy.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 03-05-2009, 03:26 AM

I had a bunch of problems dealing with Dell a few years back when I bought a Demension 4600 for my son and an Inspiron 2650 for myself. I flat refuse anymore to TRY and speak to someone in India. Sorry, but that's just the way it is, and if these companies don't stop outsourcing to places where English is a second (or third) language and you spend an hour trying to tell them your problem - they are going to loose business, and should. Now after reading this forum I see the Mini9 is produced in China. You have to wonder if this is the reason there are so many refurbs for re-sale.

I'm gun shy at this moment - how could they possibly have that many defective units in such a short production run? I may wind up going to Acer One.

« $35.00 16GB SDHC at Staples | These ION Mothboards have Mini PCI-E Slots »