General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 03-06-2009, 05:40 AM

not just Dell that has bad reps.. it's every where. united states needs to have u.s reps not some guy from india or brazil
  (#12) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 03-08-2009, 04:27 AM

It isn't the fact that they are outsourced. It's just the fact that they are improperly trained and are told to read verbatim off a script. It's annoying when you call and they sound like they are speaking in monotone and giving you generic answers you would find in dell support articles. It's annoying and as much as I try not to be rude I just hang up. Today I was on a Dell Chat and the guy was a total retard.

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#13) Old

Default Re: terrible dell service reps - 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Interesting.

1. My speakers are shorting out and clicking right from pressing the 'on' button. Ergo: hardware problem. Wednesday, an hour on the phone with someone in India who's going through a script. "Look. I've been on the phone with you for an hour, I *know* this is a hardware issue, can we just do some hardware diagnostics, please. I'm at work and I have to leave soon before the building gets shut down." [Mild panic as he tries to read the script even faster and, no, still on the software stuff]. "OK. I can't do this anymore. I have to be out of the building in the next five minutes. I'm leaving. I just need a CRA number to return this unit." [Higher level of panic as he's still reading the script and calling me 'M'am' and trying to keep me on the phone for some reason and just not getting that I. HAVE. TO. GO.]. I finally end up having to hang up on him because, man, he just wasn't getting it.

2. I get home and think, "you know, I've spent over $500CAN on this thing and I've had it less than two weeks and, you know, I shouldn't have to be on the phone with anyone for more than an hour to 'fix' this thing. I want to return it and get a new one." Jump through any number of hoops at the Dell.ca support site (at least twice it bounced me over to the US site and I got half way through filling out an email form before it spit back at me that I'm at the wrong site). I *finally* get the right Canadian site. I'm half-way through the 'brief description' text box and the page suddenly refreshes. Which means, of course, I've just lost all the information. So I redo the 'description box' info in an email and cut'n'paste it into the box before that happens again.

3. The next day, I get an email from someone. No CRA number attached to start the return process. Just an email saying someone will contact me in 24-48 hours. Why? I have no idea. In the meantime, the replacement US-Intl keyboard I'd ordered (after telling the Dell guy in India numberous times it wasn't the stock keyboard and clearly telling him it was the US-INTL one) arrives. It's the stock keyboard. It's going back, too.

4. Friday, 3:30PM PST. No call, no email. So I call Dell.ca support and try to get this thing moving. Bounced around phone hell. I finally get a live Indian. She won't help me without a customer number or order number. "You're kidding, right?" You won't find my record BY MY NAME?" "No." "Can you at least transfer me to the department that sold me my keyboard so I can get the right part number this time?" I get passed and wait and finally end up with "this department is now closed." It's not even 4PM PST... .

5. Saturday, I may as well try again. Dell.ca support page bounces me over to some phone numbers. So I call. At 2:11PM PST I get 'Phil' (in India). I give him my customer number. "You don't exist in the system." "I exist." "I can not help you if you don't exist in the system." "I'm reading my customer number right from the invoice you guys sent me." "I can't help you." "This *is* Dell Canada, right?" "No. I'll give you two numbers you can try for them."

6. Saturday, 2:14PM PST. I try the first - 1-800-847-4096. I get through that to the choice for 'other'. It won't recognize my voice. "Other". "I'm sorry...". "OTHER". "I'm sorry...". Then, instead of just automatically redirecting me to a human, I get dropped.

7. Saturday, 2:16PM PST. I try the number again, this time choosing another option. I finally end up with a 'customer service' option and press it. "This is a non-working number." How can it be non-working? I got there by using Dell.ca's own call tree.

8. Saturday, 2:18PM PST. I call the other number 'Phil' gave me, 1-800-387-5759. More hoops. I finally get 'customer support'. "I'm sorry. We are closed. Please call us on our first business day."

That doesn't make sense. How can I get LIVE people when I was calling Dell US and I'm pretty damned sure they're answering calls from Dell.ca, too, and NOT GET a Dell.ca person?

I never thought I'd say this but Dell has worse customer support than my ex-ISP and I really was convinced they were evil spawn. But Dell? Hooooooo... all new level of low.
  (#14) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM

Man, I've been using Dell laptops since '95, when I got my first one---used--in Austin, TX, and the service dept wouldn't fix my keyboard, 'cuz they said it was stolen...a friend emailed Michael Dell, and I got an email from him, and took it down there, and they treated me right...since then, I've pretty much been a fan, having gone thru several more, and always had good service, no real complaints: and I was a long haul trucker, and you know, weird phone times, etc...

But this last experience, w/my mini9 w/ubuntu, was so bitter for me, when the wireless wouldn't work, and they kept shifting me from on service rep to another, to Canonical, back to Dell, to India, to Europe Dell, finally some french speaking Dell guy (turns out it was Dell Canada) started to help me, and it didn't take but minutes to get things working...the mere mention of "linux" or "ubuntu" even factory installed put the indian guys and girls into shitfits, as they knew nothing, whether on chat, or the phone, and they kept giving me different numbers, and canonical? haha...it was long afternoon...

To bad, really, I liked the whole idea, but it really soured me on Dell, and mines up for sale on ebay right now, and moving...I'll never deal with'em again...wasn't worth the hassle...I'm a linux boy, no worries, I can install it on some used netbook and be content, and I can go to the forums when I need help, but I don't want any more to do with'Dell...if they weren't ready for support of their products, they shouldn't have sold'em...M.Dell's made enough billions: he shoulda done better by his customers...

OS Linux
4gb ssd
2gb Ram
Bluetooth
Jade Green
  (#15) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 06:22 AM

Just thought I'd post an update on my problems with Dell service reps... .

One or two days after I wrote my scree above and had another call or two go into oblivion, I went into the Dell Community forum at the Dell.ca site and blasted away in a thread called 'Customer Support Complaints, Post Here' because I just couldn't see how to get around Dell.ca India.

And, lo, someone named 'Robert' from Dell in Houston (or was it Dallas? Anyway, Texas) dropped into the thread and told me to contact him via some button... which doesn't appear in Safari as I was reading the forum on my Mac. Another forum post by me pointing this out and not knowing whether or not the forum was just incredibly un-Safari/mac-FireFoxy, I ended up posting from my work's Window machine (on a lunch break, of course).

I gave him my order number, customer number (neither of which you're allowed posting in the public forum) and I had my inevitable Kindly Canadian chat with him. Genuinely friendly (considering my frustration level), quick, decisive, over.

Next thing you know, Dell.ca India's calling me... all. The. Freakin'. Time.

The first was from the tech support department from a week or two ago (he was involved in Point #1 in the post above) saying he 'wanted to know if I wanted to continue the diagnostics because he was just following up.' And then he apologized while reading a script, by the sounds of it. Fine, I just need the CRA numbers to return these two items. 'Someone will get back to you.' H'oh, boy - Texas must have blasted Dell.ca (like they should have).

Then someone else calls to apologize profusely (while reading a script), he gets my info and he apologizes again and that's the end of the convo. Then I get back from work doing some outside business and *3* messages are waiting from me from Dell.ca. One from another Dell.ca India guy apologizing and two from the customer service rep again, apparently.

So I call him and he needs something else and he's about to issue me a UPS label and something something and I have half a page now of confirmation numbers and phone numbers and instructions and an address (and why couldn't this all have been done by email?) but I tell him I don't want to bother wiping the hard drive (because I have OS X on it for one and because I've got passwords stuff on it and there's no reason why they need *that* particular hard drive in there to repair speakers). Then he calls me back *again* to ask me if the UPS label and stuff got through and to confirm I can leave the hard drive out. Then off I go to lunch and someone else from Dell.ca calls me. I don't call back.

Stalking? Getting there... . Harrassment? Maybe... .

I've got the CRA numbers, the UPS label and the phone number for Purolator and Dell's account number with them. But, you know, it's near the end of the month and I'm swamped with work and I'm suppose to run around finding a UPS drop-box for the keyboard and call Purolotor for pick-up and Dell.ca India guy has told me specifically I have about 'x' amount of time between getting the CRA number and really having to get the Mini into be fixed and it's the freakin' weekend and I just want a stressfree few days and that includes having and using my crap-speakered Mini before I know I have to lose it for whatever time it takes for delivery to/from the repair place plus a cushion of five workdays in the shop plus probably four days of weekends during this period.

A couple more calls from Dell.ca India on Monday. Two more, actually. The first came while I was out. Did I send everything in? Do I have everything I need? When am I planning on actually sending the stuff in? Mind if I go over (again) the details of the incoming order. The second caller didn't leave a phone number. Even if he did, I wouldn't call back.

Day eight after the issuing of the UPS label I get a call (again): the label's only good for 10 days. If I try to send it in after that, it won't work. Day 10 is a Sunday. Fine. I'll bring in the Mini on Monday and am assured the label should work even on that day and the keyboard and call everyone I'm suppose to to get this stuff out the door. Satisfied?

Monday, call Purolator. Guy tells me they have a pickup arrangement with UPS and the drive'll take both packages. Great! In the meantime, I email UPS and simply ask them to issue me a new label. They respond with one in less than an hour. Now *that's* efficient!

Except the Purolator guy doesn't show up on Monday. Or Tuesday. When I call afterhours from work on Tuesday, I tell them they'd better be there Wednesday or Dell should at least get a whopping big discount. Oh, and suddenly I get the 'driver will not pick up UPS packages'. Fan-freakin'-Tastic.

Wednesday morning, I get yet another call from Dell.ca India; did I send everything in? Was the UPS label issue resolved? Is there time to issue me a new one and put it on the USP package that was still sitting on the counter in reception 72 hours after the initial call? "Yeah. Strangely enough, one email to UPS solved everything. One. Email. Fancy that."

Finally, at 3:30 and with half an hour before the office closed, the Purolator guy finally shows up. Of course he doesn't take the UPS package and I end up running around on a hot sweltering (for Vancouver) day trying to figure out by the address given on the UPS site where the supposedly nearest drop box off is (near a basement mail room in a building I've never been to).

Now, obviously all this courier stuff is completely tangential and has it's own separate hell but the receptionist at work and I figured Dell.ca was calling me on average three times a day for four days and in clumps over the next few.

And the whole time we're wondering how this could possibly be efficient? 'Cause, you know, I really want less scripted courtesy when they're blowing a simple request and a hella lot less scripted and numerous contacts when they're just running around in circles trying to fix their problem. We figured the *entire* return process should have resulted in one email requesting really basic information like my name, address and client number (and they should have figured out the rest) and one email detailing the UPS and Purolator details and, maybe, one phone call to say that it was fine to pull the hard drive out and they'd put that note on my file for when the repair shop looks at it.

That was it; two emails and a call... two at the most.

So now I have no wrong keyboard (at one point, Dell.ca India guy told me what they'd credit me and I told him I fully expected to have all shipping charges credited back to me, too, since *I* wasn't the one who ordered the wrong thing. I think that resulted in at least one of the many phone calls to confirm that they'll credit me that, too). I also don't have the Mini and don't expect it back for at least two weeks.

So the hell hasn't ended... .

Oh, I forgot. Today I got home to an email from the Dell.ca India rep - can he have the UPS tracking number I used. I told him no. I don't have it with me and I'll track it on my own and if it doesn't arrive by early next week, I'll contact UPS directly. Just. Go. Awwwwaaaaaaay.
  (#16) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 06:55 AM

Yep: sounds a lot like my experience...and the trouble with *every* indian person, was that you could tell so well that they were reading from a script...and computers *aren't* scripts: there are always 100's of different things that can be the problem, and this, trying to follow some piece of paper in front of the, is rediculous...and yes, they were unfailingly polite...but I didn't want "polite," what I actually needed was just some savvy techie who could spend a minute of his time--like the *Canadian* Dell guy did, and help me set a bit of hardware right....

We aren't idiots, and when we have problems, we need someone who is computer literate, and has some technical knowledge and just overall *computer* (not windows, necessarily) competence...

I've gotten more help working on computers in my house, calling *Cox* for crying out loud...and yeah, most of the stuff I could eventually plow thru on some computer forum or another, and I've always done that, w/homebuilt computers, linux or windows....but since I'd bought this brand new, and had unbuntu installed at the factory, I figured they could at least tell me why wireless didn't work...probably it's why I've always had a soft spot for Apple: they've got stores handy, and friendly people that can help...my problem w/macs, and their software, is that it never breaks, and I get bored...too bad they don't make a cheapo netbook... ;-)

OS Linux
4gb ssd
2gb Ram
Bluetooth
Jade Green
  (#17) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfeet View Post
Yep: sounds a lot like my experience...and the trouble with *every* indian person, was that you could tell so well that they were reading from a script...and computers *aren't* scripts: there are always 100's of different things that can be the problem, and this, trying to follow some piece of paper in front of the, is rediculous...and yes, they were unfailingly polite...but I didn't want "polite," what I actually needed was just some savvy techie who could spend a minute of his time--like the *Canadian* Dell guy did, and help me set a bit of hardware right....

We aren't idiots, and when we have problems, we need someone who is computer literate, and has some technical knowledge and just overall *computer* (not windows, necessarily) competence...

I've gotten more help working on computers in my house, calling *Cox* for crying out loud...and yeah, most of the stuff I could eventually plow thru on some computer forum or another, and I've always done that, w/homebuilt computers, linux or windows....but since I'd bought this brand new, and had unbuntu installed at the factory, I figured they could at least tell me why wireless didn't work...probably it's why I've always had a soft spot for Apple: they've got stores handy, and friendly people that can help...my problem w/macs, and their software, is that it never breaks, and I get bored...too bad they don't make a cheapo netbook... ;-)
I really think this is a case of business and social culture. My impression with dealing with Indians within India (and I work with a lot of Indians, most of whom are happily not there partially because of this cultural aspect) is that in India, a 'successful interaction' is all about the process, not the outcome.

So calling and being exceedingly polite and showing this politeness and doing one thing but doing it with as much politeness and within a narrow range and basically overcompensating to show politeness and respect is considered a 'successful interaction'. The giver and receiver expects that because that's the process and it's successful if all this is done.

But this is suppose to be Dell CANADA and in North America we're much more about the outcome. We want acknowledgement - negotiation - resolution - completion and it's a 'success' when it's done with efficiency and conciseness. Which seems to be anathema to what happens in a broad spectrum of Indian practices.

But this is suppose to be Dell CANADA and absolutely should be run according to North American cultural standards. And it's obviously not.

Which means either Dell is lousy at training their call centre personnel in North American cultural expectations or they haven't thought of this at all or they aren't following up on the training. They sure as hell aren't listening to feedback by having some calls routed at least to whatever US customer service centres are left.

It comes down to not being the fault of the call centre personnel - they're only doing what they're either told to do or what they expect customer service is all about through their own interpretation. It's entirely Dell's fault for putting customers and call centre staff on such divergent planes and someone thinking that customers aren't going to notice this.

I'm not a fool and I wish the company would stop thinking I am. And I'd really just like to get back my lovely Dell Mini - the only Dell I will EVER own after this fiasco.
  (#18) Old

Default 06-10-2009, 04:52 AM

Update: I got the Mini back today. That was fast. No doubt because UPS and Flextronic Global Services are in Canada and the package wasn't routed through Dell.ca (India) <- bitter much?

So far, so good. No clicking on the speakers.

The Dell.ca (India) guy has left me two emails and a phone call but I'm just completely avoiding him for the moment.

Tomorrow, I'll check the status of the Purolator tracking number to see where the wrong keyboard is. If it's hit the Dell warehouse in Newmarket, ON, I'll send one email to the service rep, give him a simple update, thank him and hope I never hear from him again.

Now all I need is the full refund for the keyboard... .
  (#19) Old

Default 06-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
I've never had a problem with Dell support. Then again, all of my experience has to do with Optiplex desktops, Latitude laptops and server support, all of which is North America-based :mrgreen:

You get what you pay for unfortunately.
Yepyep. I recommend Latitudes and Optiplexes to people wanting to buy from Dell. I see far more satisfied Opti/Lat customers than Inspiron owners. Optiplexes and Latitudes don't have to be expensive either.

Funfact: Optiplex and Latitude owners get free phone North American support even if the warranty is expired. Inspiron and XPS owners pay to talk to Indian/Philippines support after the warranty is up.

Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent
  (#20) Old

Default 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM

this is why i like garmin gps, u always get someone in olathe, ks.

« $35.00 16GB SDHC at Staples | These ION Mothboards have Mini PCI-E Slots »