General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-07-2009, 06:02 AM

Now that ASUS is coming out with the 1000HE it will be interesting to see what Dell will have to offer in the future.
I'm still holding my breath for an Atom/Ion combo, but guess we'll have to wait and see.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-07-2009, 02:43 PM

I decided to place an order for the 1000HE - I will see what it is like. No idea when it will actually be available, though.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-07-2009, 03:02 PM

When best Buy carries these, I wil be all over it because of my coupons! Finally, a 10 inch netbook with a bog keyboard and long battery be a trussted and common brand... What do you guys think about Acer's New 10 inch netbook they have coming out? Im slightly disappointed that the base model is a 3 cell battery, but comes wtih a 6 celll upgrade option.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-07-2009, 08:01 PM

with the news of the Ion platform, I wouldnt buy a netbook untill it is seen whether or not netbooks are made out of that or not.

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#5) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Ion will be interesting. Single chip design saves lots of space, can run 1080p flawlessly and uses about 40% more energy to operate than the current trend of 270's. With the reduced mainboard footprint manufacturers have more room to include larger batteries in the same footprint. However - larger batteries mean more weight which kills the ultra-portability of a netbook.

It's a tough balancing act, to be sure. I know I would be totally interested in a 9" Ion based 720p netbook if the price is reasonably comparable to the current $280 base model. When you consider Ion adding (quoted from Nvidia) $50-$75 on top of current platform pricing, plus the added cost of the additional battery cells to get the same net run time, I don't see anyone hitting anything less than $450 for a base model - which knocks it out of my range.

I really don't see Dell going to the Ion platform as they are way too far in bed with Intel, but I could totally envision Acer or HP making one.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 01:21 AM

Ion is not a single-chip design. It is a chipset for Atom processors that has better graphics performance than the 945GSE. But Intel has higher-performance graphics in the works too - supposedly the GN40 that the Asus 1000HE will have is much better. I'll admit that Intel does not have a sterling reputation when it comes to integrated graphics, so we shall see.

Intel has said that a single-chip design is in the works.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 01:38 AM

I don't know but the 9.5 hr battery sure sounds good to me. As far as I'm concerned a 3.5 is not that portable IMO for for the reason I got mine. I would much rather pay a little more for the larger battery without all the other bells and whistles. I would buy a larger battery in a heart beat for my mini9 if it wasn't going to jack it up and look like the battle of the buldge. :|
  (#8) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Ion is not a single-chip design.
Intel has said that a single-chip design is in the works.
The current 945 is a two-chip design - the 945 runs video (GMA 950) and northbridge tasks (processor I/O, memory). Also on the motherboard is the ICH 700 which runs southbridge tasks (drives, usb, peripeherals). The Ion combines video, north and southbridge into a single chip - the GeForce 9400 - this is why it is referred to as a single chip design.

Intel's upcoming "single chip" design you are referring too is more commonly referred to as "system on a chip" and integrates the processor and ALL controllers on a single piece of silicone. It appears as though it will be a "downgraded" Larrabee processor if I am not mistaken.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#9) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 05:12 AM

The new 1000HE does not use the GN40, as reported here http://blog.laptopmag.com/eee-pc-1000he ... 720p-video
  (#10) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Hell yeah! And it's still using GMA950! Rock on! That would be one heck of a nice OS X candidate. That price is unbelievably good! Wow! N280 Atom, hadn't heard of that one before.. 1.66GHz.. Must be on a faster bus, wonder how much that helps performance.
I'm exceptionally happy with my Mini9 still, so I won't be getting that 1000HE.. But I will definitely recommend it and keep track of it's OSX progress.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« EVERYONE PLEASE READ REGARDING SPAM | m1330 hdmi out »