General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 11:06 AM

whew...single..double..it's all greek to me.
What interests me here is that while the perfect netbook(Falcon Mach V performance in 9-10 inches of plastic and polished titanium weighing 1.6 lbs) is far from reality I think we are slowly -whatever the millimeter equivalent is for- inching our way there, barring lack of development for economic reasons. Being that this is just a 'niche' market it's hard to justify MY wants(see below) to what the public is buying.
I really think there are two routes to go here and it breaks down to intended use i.e. surfing/communications or portable office/game system/media center. Kinda like an Inspiron vs. XPS scenario. I personally know 10 people with dell minis and 13 more with HP/Acer/ASUS netbooks. at least 8 including myself would pay up to US$500 for a *XPS* netbook maybe even $600 if thats what it meant to *ULTRA* portable.

Ultimately, my ideal netbook would be 'simular' to the adamo in style but preferably a little thicker in the body to accommodate the heat , I'm not a brainiac on the nuances of processors but is there any reason Intel couldn't do to the N270 or N280 what it did with the 230 and make them *dual core*? if not I guess the 330 would do, and have at least a 32gb *sata* SSD with options up to 256gb for those who are too clausterphobic with the smaller drives. For a GPU , I could live with anything that allowed decent gaming and and 1080p vid. I could live with a 8.9 screen but would prefer 9.5". Wouldn't even bother with speakers(plug some in or headphones. And of course BT,wi-fi,GPS....all the bells and whistles. Then we would start to get close to *The Swiss Army knife of PC's*. I'm pretty sure we're still at finger nail clipper stage. Oh and don't forget the HDMI- preferably wireless so I can beam to my 47"LCDTV. I don't think I'm asking too much.
The 1000HE could be lightened with a SSD but again there, until the price drops for the larger Capacity drives we're stuck with heavy HDD's or SSD's that cost more than the netbook itself.....but if ya gotta have the space....
You could also sacrifice some battery life to lighten it but that doesn't seem like a reasonable tradeoff since there will be increased energy use presumably with better video and gaming options.
I'm anxious to see what Holmes4 has to say when he gets his.
sorry for rambling

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#12) Old
Administrator

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Hmm. Not quite as interesting as I had thought. The only bit that I like is the keyboard layout, but perhaps I'll stick with the Mini 9 a bit longer.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#13) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM

The ASUS 1000HE appears vastly superior to my Mini 9, especially with the larger keyboard, screen and battery. But the Mini 9 fills my needs better. The whole point of the Mini 9, for me, is its suitability for traveling, having the smallest and lightest practical netbook. If I got a larger keyboard, screen and battery, it would defeat the whole purpose of a netbook.

Obsidian black Mini 9: 1GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, bluetooth, no cam, XP. Dell Outlet.
  (#14) Old
Administrator

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Well, if you want to take that approach, a 15 inch notebook with an extended battery is even better. The 1000HE does have a larger battery, but the whole case is larger than the Mini 9. The keyboard looks better in terms of layout, but I don't know what it feels like to use. (Reports are that it is better than the 100HA.)

I also bought the Mini 9 for its portability. I canceled my 1000HE order.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#15) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-09-2009, 07:52 AM

I have 3 Mini 9s and couldn't be happier. The only thing I want now is a tablet notebook with good battery life and multitouch so it can be my new "main" notebook.

There is always something new on the horizon...

-Alpha0ero-
MINI 9 Blk:2GB:64GB:Windows 7 (Lab)
MINI 9 Blk:1GB:16GB:Windows 7
MINI 9 Blk:1GB:8GB:Fedora 10/Ubuntu (Lab)
VAIO UX180:512MB:40GB:Windows XP Tablet (Lab)
VAIO FZ190:4GB:200GB:Windows Vista (Main)
VAIO FE790:2GB:160GB:Windows XP SP3
  (#16) Old

Default Re: ASUS up's the ante...does Dell call,raise, or fold? - 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle
I personally know 10 people with dell minis and 13 more with HP/Acer/ASUS netbooks. at least 8 including myself would pay up to US$500 for a *XPS* netbook maybe even $600 if thats what it meant to *ULTRA* portable.
You don't know me personally or at all, but I would be #9 for the xps style netbook. I absolutely love my mini 9 but I have stated a few times how awesome it would be for a 9-10" netbook to come with the same design of the xps. Even though the mini 9 is already hugely popular and I am a 100% supporter of it (I have had an eee pc and aspire one and sold both for the mini 9 and don't regret it one bit.), I think that Dell would enter a new "category" with all of the netbooks our that are huge chunks of plastic.

.... Just realized I got off the subject of the original post. Sorry. haha. I will stick with my mini 9 vs. the Asus 1000he due to the fact that I have a flawless running os X netbook so why mess with it.

Red Dell Mini 9, 64GB Runcore ssd, 2GB ram, os X 10.5.6, bluetooth, camera. The Dell mini is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

« EVERYONE PLEASE READ REGARDING SPAM | m1330 hdmi out »