General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-05-2009, 04:56 AM

I would like to experiment with different OS'es (and OS configurations) on my Mini9. Can anyone recommend a program for cloning/imaging/ghosting the Mini9's SSD? Generally these programs work by booting from an external source and then mounting the main PC drive. I have access to both USB thumb-drives and external USB Cd-Rom drives. I also have an external USB-IDE drive, that I would use to store the SSD images.

Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-05-2009, 06:59 AM

Quite a number of people here have used Acronis True Image to clone their installs to an upgraded SSD. The Runcore drives have an integrated micro USB port for just this purpose.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM

I used Acronis and it's pretty idiot proof. Easy to use and it just does what it's meant to do. Good bit of software really.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-06-2009, 04:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Acronis is commercial software. I was hoping for a free/Open Source solution.

I found some candidates:

"Disk Copy"
http://lifehacker.com/400615/easeus-dis ... hard-drive

"Clonezilla"
http://lifehacker.com/5078397/clonezill ... your-disks

"HDClone"
http://lifehacker.com/157428/download-o ... ay-hdclone

I'm about to travel, so I can't try these out right away. If anyone wants to give any of these a spin, please share your experiences. When I get back I will try them out (well until I find one that works), and I'll share my experience.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-08-2009, 01:01 AM

I would like to include the free cloning software from Seagate. Although you do need at least one seagate/maxtor HDD in the procedure. Id recommend getting as large a drive as you can and use that.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

My apologies for the large link but the disc wizard tool/program is there. Support for Microsoft and Mac OS 10.x but no linux.

Dr Some-what Evil

~~EDIT~~

As I have reciently discovered, The Discwizard will not clone anything in a RAID array. However they will offer you a 40% discount on the "upgraded" version of Acronis 2009 home. Kinda sucks as I really want to clone my set-up on my desktop and then restore it to another RAID array of newer and slightly larger disc's. Ive already submitted a support request to Seagate to fix the problem but I have very little hope of any response in my lifetime. In their own forum are 3 other cases just like mine and the only support given was to "un-install then re-install a fresh copy downloaded from the site" Very poor and hardly worthy of the term "support". I will check out some of the other suggestions posted here to try to solve my problem. BTW I think the trial version of Acronis home is quite worthy of making the clone of your SSD when going from the original drive to one made by Runcore.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-08-2009, 01:15 AM

I have a question concerning os software that is similar to this. Am I able to take a licensed copy of XP from my old Dell Inspiron 1200 and put it on to my mini???? :idea: :?:

1994 Mustang GT - Offroad H-pipe, Flowmaster 40s w/ dumps, K&n intake, stock

|
---------
|
|
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-08-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94FiveOhGT
I have a question concerning os software that is similar to this. Am I able to take a licensed copy of XP from my old Dell Inspiron 1200 and put it on to my mini???? :idea: :?:
By the terms of the Windows license agreement, no.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-08-2009, 01:20 AM

What about doing it on my own terms? Any way to rip/pull it off? Screw microsoft :lol: If not I know people who can get me XP, but just figured I would ask

1994 Mustang GT - Offroad H-pipe, Flowmaster 40s w/ dumps, K&n intake, stock

|
---------
|
|
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-08-2009, 01:22 AM

Do you have the install CD from the other Dell? From what I've read, it should work as an install on another Dell system.

As a professional software developer, however, I can't condone theft, which is what you are proposing.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Cloning/Ghosting software - 02-08-2009, 01:37 AM

I agree with Holmes4. This is why I use what I use as long as there is a existing XP license key on the hardware. My install disc is marked OEM, bought retail. I use that key on my desktop install. On another XP install disc marked OEM, I use that key as a back-up since the disc never had SP2 included. Basicly I make sure the key I am using is compleatly wiped off the HDD before attempting to reinstall it onto the same machine or another. As for the Mini-9, I used the key thats on the bottom of the device. No problems with getting it Activated through Microsoft.

Try Ubuntu or linux Mint for free Operating systems from people that dont care what you use it for or how you hack it.

Good Luck!

Dr Some-what Evil

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid

« Music | Sync/Backup/Cloud Options »