General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Keyboard size; what's it close to? - 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM

I'm looking at a 9 and I want to know how big the keyboard is. I've owned an EEE 701, EEE 1000, Aspire One and an S10. The keyboard appears to be bigger than the S10, but I can't quite tell from the pictures. Anyone who owns a 9 and has owned or used one of the above models, can you tell me which keyboard size is most closely resembles?

Thanks!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Keyboard size; what's it close to? - 02-04-2009, 02:52 AM

The keyboard is nearly the exact same length x width as my eee701. However the mini has one less row of keys, so the actual keys are larger and more square. I don't know if it's just the size, but it's way more comfortable to type on the mini compared with the eee. I wouldn't even think of typing this response on an eee unless I had no other computer available--I used it only when travelling; but with the mini I will use it even at home.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Keyboard size; what's it close to? - 02-04-2009, 06:31 AM

The alphabet keys are the same size as the those on my 1000HA (just measured them), but to get that they made some compromises elsewhere, e.g., other keys are tiny, and several of them are rearranged differently from the standard layouts, so touch typing characters like " or ] or - requires hunting and pecking. If you're a touch typist and write a lot, and regularly switch with other keyboards, it could drive you nuts. It's taking me a while, but I'm getting used to it.

check out this thread for comments on the keyboard, and an alternative:
replacement-keyboard-more-normal-t1402.html

Dell Mini 9 | Black | 2GB RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3Mp Webcam
Asus Eee 1000HA | Black | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | Dell 360 BT | dual boot: XP SP3; Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1
Dell Mini 9 | White | 2GB RAM | 4GB SSD
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Keyboard size; what's it close to? - 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind my asking, what's the width of the keyboard?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Keyboard size; what's it close to? - 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM

using a wooden ruler that I had lying nearby...

keyboard width
dell mini 9 = 8 1/8 in
asus eee 1000ha = 10 in

distance of outside edges of touchable surface of keys Q to P
mini 9 = 6 11/16 in
1000HA = 6 13/16 in

here's a youtube video comparing the mini-9 with the 1000H
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qOz3L4VFkvE

Dell Mini 9 | Black | 2GB RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3Mp Webcam
Asus Eee 1000HA | Black | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | Dell 360 BT | dual boot: XP SP3; Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1
Dell Mini 9 | White | 2GB RAM | 4GB SSD
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Keyboard size; what's it close to? - 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM

I had a 701. The keys were too small for my hands and the right shift key placement drove me crazy. The letter keys on the Mini 9 are just slightly smaller than a regular laptop while the number keys are about the same size as the 701. Somehow this corrected the right shift key placement for me but in making room they moved the " ' key down to the bottom row which is really weird for me. I bought one of the US International keyboards everyone on the Mini forums thought was so much better but it just took the key size back down to the 701 size. I kept my original keyboard and gave the other away. I may eventually remap the " ' key to where the ;: key is. The larger netbooks might have larger keys because they have room for them but the Mini is the only one of the smaller netbooks to revamp the keyboard. In my opinion the Mini keyboard is much, much better than the 701.

« Small screen size sometimes a problem | HELP WITH MINI DECISIONS, 9 or 12, GOOD DEAL? HELP ASAP »