General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Small screen size sometimes a problem - 01-31-2009, 05:33 PM

I just got my Mini 2 days ago and I have been pretty busy getting it going. I got the referb and upgraded to 2gb crucial memory and the Runcore 32gb. So it's seems pretty fast. I did need to install a few things on the Mini that I need. And had some trouble with the installations in that on several of the installs, you can't see the bottom of the dialog boxes to select options. I had to use the tab and kinda of guess at selectiong the OK or NEXT button. I suppose that this is something that you have to live with with a Mini.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 01-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Alt + space, then hit m

You should then be able to move the window up with the cursor keys without the mouse hitting the top of screen.

Unfortunately the vertical screen resolution is a limitation

HTH
Josh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 02-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Resize windows where you can, and also for that extra little bit hide your task bar.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 02-02-2009, 12:30 AM

I hide my task bar too. I don't like doing that on my desktop but it works well on the Mini 9, since space is a premium.

Obsidian black Mini 9: 1GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, bluetooth, no cam, XP. Dell Outlet.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 02-02-2009, 03:50 PM

something that helped me out a ton was customizing the start menu. you can make the icons small so you don't keep getting that annoying balloon about your icons not showing up
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM

XP is designed to run fine on a display with 800x600 resolution, well within the 1024x600 resolution of the Mini. The "problem" is that Dell ships these machines running at 120dpi instead of the usual 96dpi. This means that text and graphic elements are a bit larger (and easier to read), with the downside being that some things no longer fully fit on the screen. You can change the dpi setting back to the regular 96dpi following the directions here (I chose that site because it has easy-to-follow pictures).
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 02-03-2009, 02:14 PM

I believe he is talking about when you do a fresh install and the display drivers are not installed yet. The default resolution makes it so the system properties screen is larger than the display. I can see how it would be difficult for a novice, most computer people know you can tab and install the display adapter and everything will work itself out. This actually has nothing to do with Dell, just the odd display resolution and Windows XP being so dated. I don't recall having the problem when I installed Win7.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 02-03-2009, 04:44 PM

If it is the install of the OS itself where you can't see the OK and next button then make sure you have the latest bios which correct the screen display issue before the driver is loaded. However I would be surprised as Abecedary is correct that XP is designed to run on a display with 800 x 600 resolution, which would imply that the XP installation screens would be stretched horizontally a bit but well within the capabilities of the Mini 9 screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 02-03-2009, 08:18 PM

It is not an installation problem. With my Ubuntu-Mini,several times I noticed that applications which open windows (for example, asking to input parameters) taller than 600 pixel do not allow to move the window higher than the upper side of the display; a thing that is commonly performed by my XP-desktop. May be it is an Ubuntu problem to fix.

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
Website: http://sites.google.com/site/dggatetocyberspace/Home
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Small screen size sometimes a problem - 02-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
Website: http://sites.google.com/site/dggatetocyberspace/Home

« Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? | Keyboard size; what's it close to? »