General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-01-2009, 05:40 PM

Buggy

I installed it,and it ran fine the first time. I think I might've seen some better Halo performance,but need more testing using the 400 mhz option.

But now,when I go to launch the program,I get a Form1 window and a little gray box near the top left corner. The window that lets you choose what speed you want, no longer comes up.

I'm guessing its a form to fill out to register and buy the program, but it dosent seem to work.

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-01-2009, 06:09 PM

I'm installing now, will give a little update with how it works with Urban Terror.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-01-2009, 06:15 PM

I'm only trying it if the CPU is increased for applicatons like HULU. And if I did try it for the GPU, I would probably stick to no more then 100% overclock since the mini is passivly cooled I wouldn't want to break it.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-03-2009, 02:59 AM

Given my experience with overclocking (which is a quite a bit) I'm going to advise against overclocking your mini without some additional cooling capacity. The main reason the MSI Wind can put up with that sort of abuse is that it has a thermal solution with good headroom, whereas the mini is lacking in additional cooling capacity due to the fact that it has no fan to just spin faster.

Maybe, just maybe I'll pull my mini apart and see if I think anything can be done. I just wish Radio Shack still had the phone book sized catalog. Ugh.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-03-2009, 03:41 AM

It only raised the temps on my mini a few degrees. It worked alright for urban terror. Expect a full write up in a few days.
  (#16) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circs
Maybe, just maybe I'll pull my mini apart and see if I think anything can be done. I just wish Radio Shack still had the phone book sized catalog. Ugh.
If you could come up with something workable it might help with the efforts to overclock this thing. :ugeek:

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#17) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to thcrw739
Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Question,

I didnt know that the gpu was actully underclocked to only a little over a 4th of what it can actully run at, after reading about the program the thread is about.

with the supposed 128mb of video memory after bios reset i was wondering, if possible can someone test with this program clocked @ 400mhz & 64mb & 128mb then see if there is any improvment between the 2 ram amounts?

Just somthing going around in my head.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM

Installed and tested with GL XS 1.2 which is a dated OpenGL benchmark but it works fine for comparison considering these are exactly blazing fast GPU chipsets.

I'll keep it simple here....between 166 and 200mhz there was negligible performance increase. Between 166 and 400mhz there was a 500 point increase in the scores. On average there was a 30fps increase in video tests, with one of the tests showing closer to 50 FPS increase.

It does not affect CPU performance however as shown by the Cpu sections of GL XS and running Super Pi it turned it the same time as the default setting. This program only affects the GPU chipset. I did not notice any additional heat coming from the unit and the temps shown everst show roughly the same cpu/cpu diode temps as usual.

I would advise people to check the placement of their heatsink interface pads to make sure they are actually aligned properly and covering their chips correctly. The pad covering my northbridge was slightly off and making only 70% contact with the pad....I realigned this before performing the increase.

Program seems to do what it advertises to do. Might help out those wanting a little extra if you are actually playing games on your mini. Hopefully when the Ion platform comes out Dell will offer it as a higher end option rather than this dated combo.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Sounds like a winner for upping frame rates in a few of the games that the mini struggles with.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#20) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Overclock Your Mini, It's Here - 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Does it help with HD Hulu?

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« Dell recomendation | Download Picture-stripped Wikipedia »