General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Lottery information - 01-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Hi everyone.

I am just posting this so that everyone will know what is going on. We have made a new sub-forum under the "miscellaneous" section. It is titled MyDellMini Lottery. What?. . .Did you think it would be named something else. :lol:

Anyway, this is the new official place where the lotteries will be posted. There is a new sticky there, PLEASE READ IT. You can also post questions or anything else in this forum EXCEPT for asking me when I will hold the next lottery. Suggestions, requests(within reason) and generally anything else regarding the lottery are welcome.

Just thought I would give a heads up. Good luck to all and keep an eye out for the next lottery.

On a side note: I am a little disappointed in the amount of people that were involved in the last lottery. I expected there to be more people involved. I really want to get as many people involved in this so that everyone has a chance to win. I am currently rethinking a different time strategy on when to hold the lottery.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-25-2009, 04:33 PM

No clue it even existed. That USb thing is cool...
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3mach
WOW. It is on the front page news. Anyway. Good luck
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix.stu
Quote:
WOW. It is on the front page news. Anyway. Good luck

I never saw that setion. I read the new blog post when it was first done. I rarely visit the mainpage. I too wish this forum had more traffic, I like the subject matter but the forum is so slow. Not very technical either.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-25-2009, 10:38 PM

Explain what exactly you would like to see as far as more technical.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-25-2009, 11:59 PM

I was bummed that I didn't get to post for either lottery. They were both during my work hours, so I was too busy to notice they were up. Maybe you can leave them open for a longer period of time?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-26-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:

Not to be rude, but the user base here isn't what I would call tech-savvy. I see threads arguing things that just blow my mind. People arguing against the limitations of the chipset. Case in point 4GB SODIMM. Yeah it fits. No it won't work. The chipset doesn't support it. I can understand how someone might not know this, but to say after it has been pointed out, that another 4GB stick might be more compatiable is just ubsurd. How about people arguing that the 800MHz ram is better than the 533MHz. Newsflash it is only better if it has a lower CAS. The extra MHz will not be used with the N270. I am not saying their is no such thing as changing voltages and possibly getting a higher multiplier, but no one around here is discussing that. I don't see topics about pin-modding a Banias core to operate at 533MHz instead of 400MHz and squeezing out those few hundred extra MHz. We aren't talking about getting a 7800GTX into an i9300.

As I said, I really like this forum and its subject matter. I just wish there was more matter on the subject being discussed.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-26-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
As I said, I really like this forum and its subject matter. I just wish there was more matter on the subject being discussed.
Alas - so would I. However this is a netbook we are talking about here. The only thing that is user configurable is the memory, ssd, WWAN and Wifi - and all of those are plug and play without room to generally mod. Everything else is soldered hard to the motherboard or otherwise not cross compatable - or we'd be seeing people trying to solder down a Z series Atom to get 5 more minutes of runtime out of their battery.

Laptops, and their newest sibling, netbooks, just don't lend themselves very well to the modders mindset. That's why I also frequent http://www.silentpcreview.com (talk about some hardware modders!) and HardOCP - to get my hardware geek fix. I come here to help people figure out how to use Linux actually, and hope I pick up a few things myself, which I already have (like mounting /temp and firefox /cache into a tempfs to save ssd writes)

There are actually a lot of really technically savvy members on this forum (Type11 comes to mind). But when a company pushes bleeding edge technology into the mainstream you are bound to see droves of "clueless" new members. Remember though that at some point in your life you were new to this crap too! Yet somehow you learned!

EDIT: Oh, and I think you misunderstood the question - What kinds of technical aspects of the Mini's would you like to see covered?

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-26-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper

EDIT: Oh, and I think you misunderstood the question - What kinds of technical aspects of the Mini's would you like to see covered?
That was my question exactly.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Lottery information - 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helius
I was bummed that I didn't get to post for either lottery. They were both during my work hours, so I was too busy to notice they were up. Maybe you can leave them open for a longer period of time?
I was visiting the site during both lotteries... I just never saw the thread. Ha!

Also, stu, I know you're doing this to encourage (meaningful) traffic, but what about when people already have 25 posts? More new members? If the contest is an incentive to get more people talking, those who have been here longer, and contributed more, won't need to do anything other than enter. Get me? I don't have a solution, but maybe you (or others) can think of something.

« Price Cuts. | How to buy mini 9 in Canada? »