General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 10-08-2012, 02:48 AM

I am using the mini in my hotel room right now. The keyboard takes a bit to get used too and I hit the touchpad with my thumb a lot, but overall I like it.

Mini 9|2GB|16GB SSD| Intel 6235AN | WinXP Pro - eBay: 9/28/2012
Mini 10v|1GB|160GB HDD|WinXP Home - eBay: 11/4/2014
  (#12) Old

Default 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM

I do the same. The keyboard is my only complaint about the Mini 9.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#13) Old

Default 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM

I put Quake II on it and did some old school FPS gaming. It works well with OpenGL.

I remember people laying out major cash on hardware to get Q2 working well enough to play online. If I remember correctly, I was one of those people. Ha!

The only real issue I have had with the machine is the person I bought it from had setup the region in WinXP to Korea. That messed with some things. I needed my WinXP disk to correct that and I was on the road at the time.

The Mini 9 fits perfectly in my tank bag and takes up very little space. The Mini 10 was pulling me pretty hard but the smaller size of the 9 is winning me over. This little guy will go with my on a two week motorcycle trip next year. Time to do the Mini 9 GPS mod, eh?

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrguy View Post
The problem is that I have Sprint and the service is very spotty. I suppose I will have to get a real GPS. If I don't have service with my phone it can't lock on me, which sucks.

What I would really like to have is a GPS that does not require a 'net connection. I have done a search for Linux GPS apps and that looks somewhat promising. Downloading the maps to the Mini in the areas I will be riding. Pull over and find out where the hell I am at and plan a new route. This is one of the many reasons I wanted a Mini. Then I found that the 1012 has an extended battery that does not create a huge bulge that makes the Mini much thicker. I am not concerned with doing a hackintosh install, so I think the 1012 would be better suited in the long run. In the mean time I will mess around with the Mini 9. =D

Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Replying to my own post here... I found that while Google maps requires phone service to work, NavFree USA does not. It uses the GPS signal and is a street nav app for my Nexus S 4G. Works pretty well I might add. Now all I have to do is add a charging system for this phone on my bike and attach a mount for the phone. Preferably waterproof or at least highly water resistant.

Mini 9|2GB|16GB SSD| Intel 6235AN | WinXP Pro - eBay: 9/28/2012
Mini 10v|1GB|160GB HDD|WinXP Home - eBay: 11/4/2014

« Server Not Found mesage | Poll: What Dell model are you using? - Guys, we need your cooperation! »