General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Admin password - 04-29-2012, 07:48 PM

Hi everyone. My friend gave me his old dell 1012 mini with windows 7.

He said he hasn't used it for a while, and forgotten his admin password.

I wanted to do a system recovery from F2 but it requires login and password, is there anyway to remove this with out any other accounts on the pc.

Also I don't have a DVD rom drive, just external and flash drive.

Think you for the help
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 04-30-2012, 11:38 PM

This has come up before - I don't think there is a way. If you do a web search you can find offers of utilities that can somehow figure out the password if you can mount the disk on another PC, but I don't know how trustworthy they are.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymac5 View Post
Hi everyone. My friend gave me his old dell 1012 mini with windows 7.

He said he hasn't used it for a while, and forgotten his admin password.

I wanted to do a system recovery from F2 but it requires login and password, is there anyway to remove this with out any other accounts on the pc.

Also I don't have a DVD rom drive, just external and flash drive.

Think you for the help
i have a suggestion. but it assumes a few things, and it may not work.

first assumption is that there's nothing on the drive you need to keep.

second assumption is that the admin password is prompted by the fact that there's an OS that requires it on the partition you're trying to install over. that is to say that the recovery partition isn't actually protected by this password, and would run fine except for the fact it's finding a protected partition...

my suggestion simply is to attempt to format the OS partition first, and run the recovery after.

as to how to go about it without running into the admin password request, i believe linux is the answer. also, you'll need to set the recovery partition to boot from. and you could do that with linux as well.

for this type of thing i generally recommend parted magic live usb.

specifically, run the disk utility in parted magic (i forget what it's actually called, but it's on the parted magic desktop).

delete, and format the partition containing the current version of windows you're trying to install over.

once that partition is reformatted, flag the recovery partition as boot (right click on it for options).

restart the computer (without the parted magic USB) and that should bring up the installer. and, since the OS requiring the admin password is gone, it should go ahead and run fine.

i'll STRESS again that this is my last resort suggestion since you'll be wiping the drive. and i'm not 100% the recovery partition isn't modified with the admin password. but i don't think it is.

hope that was helpful..

cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup

« 1 Terabyte Drives now available in 9.5mm size (fits any Mini) except the Mini 9's | Inspiron Mini 10 (1011) BIOS Update A06 triggered password »