General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Ethernet Port NOT working on Dell Mini! - 04-23-2012, 11:17 PM

hey

on my Dell netbook there is wireless and Ethernet. For some reason when i plug the Ethernet cable in there is no connection even though it says it is. it is noticed under network connections as "Local Area Connection-Connected,firewalled Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller" and under device manager there is no missing drivers for the Realtek network card. Normally when one plugs in a Ethernet cable that takes precedence over the wireless connection. In this case even if i disconnect from the Wireless connection, i have no internet. its not picking up the Ethernet connection. Its not disabled and it has the green light but also a amber light blinking on the port as well. please help. thanks!!
  (#2) Old

Default 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM

It is pretty rare, but I have had a bad ethernet cable. There is a nifty command in Linux to see if it is working but I have no ideas if Windows does.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM

The evidence you have shows that the cable and interface are working. From a command prompt, type:

ipconfig /all

and paste the results in z reply here. If you are on Windows 7 (or Vista) you will need to start the command prompt as an administrator to have this work.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM

An other thing to look for is dirt / fuzz / lint getting into the RJ45 socket. It's surprising how conductive some random fuzz can be. With the PC powered off, I'd usually use some of that compressed gas dust cleaner and blow out the jack, and then take a cotton swab with some fairly high strength (lower water content) alcohol and gently wipe down the eight plated wire contacts inside the RJ45 socket. Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol with a 40 or 45 % alcohol content works well, and in a pinch you can use plain unflavored vodka (you don't want any residue from sweetening or flavors after cleaning).

If still no joy, and you've either recrimped or replaced the network cable, try reinstalling the network adapter driver. I've had the occasional file get corrupted without any error other than just not working happen. Lots of years providing tech support. :-) It can happen, but it's pretty rare for the built in network interface to actually fail. Of course there are times when it does, like if it was plugged in when there was a nearby lightning strike and the wire acted like an antenna, delivering a big pulse to the NIC chip. Even worst case, you can shop carefully and find a really inexpensive USB network adapter and keep on computing. Best wishes and good luck!

« External Monitor problem | DELL Inspiron Mini 10n Wireless Problems »