General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-20-2009, 10:49 PM

i have 4 or 5 IDE hard drives that i would like to do something with. currently, 3 of them reside in an old PC in my basement that pretty much acts as a file server. 2 more just sit on a shelf. i would like to stop using my old PC because it is loud and just wastes energy when not in use. but the drives are still in good enough shape had large enough capacity that i would like to utilize them a little bit longer.

i have thought about getting some external enclosures but then i would have to deal with 5 big power bricks. i already do not have a lot of space in my computer area so i would love to keep the clutter to a minimum.

my current desktop is all sata so i can't stick them in there.

do yall have any nifty (and cheap) options or ideas?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM

sell them on ebay. not much you can do with it. you can pick up a really small portable hd for cheap now.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 12:39 AM

Well, you can get multidisk enclosures that supply their own power, and usually RAID and/or network connection as well, but these are not cheap. Also, nearly all of them nowadays are SATA-only.

There's this multidrive rack that simply provides power but then you'd still have to connect the data cables to a PC or something.

I have a stack of old IDE drives myself - mostly from TiVos. I can't think of what to do with them either.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1
  (#4) Old

Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinracer
sell them on ebay. not much you can do with it. you can pick up a really small portable hd for cheap now.
i already have 3 external hdds. one is a 500 gig 2.5" form factor to go along with my mini. it's a nice combo
  (#5) Old

Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 01:01 AM

i have an old DIY external hdd that has a small circuit board that plugs into the drive and outputs usb on the other end. i wonder if i could put my old power supply in a box, hook the drives up and power them through the molex connectors, and plug the usb outs into a 4 port hub. then plug that into my pc? i'll have to check this out tonight....
  (#6) Old

Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 01:07 AM

Kind of a different approach, but you could also see if there are any not-for-profit computer donation programs in the area. I've done some work with an organization called the DDI (digital divide initiative) that takes donated computers and puts them in the hands of low income families. You could see if you have something similar in your area.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 01:22 AM

good idea, but these drives are currently in use. all except for 2. so i would like to retain these...just in a better form factor that i currently have
  (#8) Old

Send a message via AIM to The Architect
Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 07:05 PM

You could just take it apart. you know... for fun!

Black Mini9, 1.3MP WebCam, 64GB RunCore SSD, OS X 10.5.6 via Type11 7.7
Now With not one... but TWO gigs of ram!
BT Coming Soon
Aluminum iMac 2GHz, 2gig, 10.5.6
  (#9) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect
You could just take it apart. you know... for fun!
and make some nice shurikens with the plates and post pictures of the entire mod process :mrgreen:

sory me no spiko english
  (#10) Old

Default Re: What to do with old(er) IDE hard drives? - 01-21-2009, 08:09 PM

Over the years I've picked up a few external enclosures (1 FW/USB, 1 USB, 1USB/ESATA) for my spare drives. Despite being sold by different companies, they all come from the same OEM, so they all use the same power adapter (and they stack nicely). I only have one AC adapter hooked up and just move it around between the different drives. In case you're wondering, the enclosures are all variations on this theme. That one is SATA, but there are IDE enclosures, too. If you look around you can find the right combination of internal and external connections that you need.

« Site Not Down Long | Computer Icons »