General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Dell Memory Compatibility between Mini/XPS - 06-14-2011, 02:42 AM

Hi all,

after no luck and no research into upgrading my 1010, my girl is letting me trick out her XPS M1210 (with the new mobo thanks to the class-action lawsuit). I ordered a memory upgrade from Dell prior to trying the upgrade, and still have it.

The manufacturer part numbers are the same, but the Dell part # is different. Would this work in the XPS just as easily? I checked under "parts and upgrades" for both computers, and as stated, the same manufacturer number came up in for the XPS and the Mini 10.

Just trying to save money, because going to 3GB from 1GB is a HUGE difference

Thanks!
Khaos
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 06-14-2011, 04:18 PM

What Mini 10 do you have? The 10v/1011 and 1012 take standard DDR2 laptop memory. It should work in just about any DDR2 laptop with a free memory slot. The 1018 takes DDR3. Same situation.

The 1010 is largely unupgradeable. Any one who sold you memory for the 1010 is probably mistaken or lying.

So, the question again is "which Mini do you have?". Or do you know that you have a DDR2 laptop module? A quick Google suggests that the XPS M1210 takes up to two DDR2 modules, each up to 2GB.

Be aware that you might not see the full 4GB, I have a similarly old Intel laptop, which is limited to roughly 3.3GB, even with a 64bit OS.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Dell Mini 10v...do I need to upgrade? | Dell Launches New Cloud-Based Services for Hospitals and Physician Practices »