General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Dell mini in New York ? - 06-12-2011, 07:13 AM

Im not american but im going to be in New York next week and im trying to find somewhere to buy a Dell mini.

The only place I have found that have Dell mini and also have stores in Manhattan are Best Buy, they have 2 models of the Dell mini 1012: one of them is only available online and the other only available in stores - and no best buy store in new york have them in stock (no store pickup available)

Im loooking for the Dell mini 1012 with 1366x768 screen and would prefer an available wwan port. (the models at Best But are both 1024x600)

Since Im stying at hostel I guess I cant order online and expect one to get shipped to the hostel adress (?)

Dell in my country does not carry the model with 1366x768 HD-screen.

Any suggestions or hints ?
  (#2) Old

Default 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulver View Post
Since Im stying at hostel I guess I cant order online and expect one to get shipped to the hostel adress (?)
That is exactly what I would do, ship it to the hotel with your name in the address. Be careful & check Dell's projected shipping date so that it will be there when you arrive. You might also email the hotel & let them know a package is on the way for you.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 06-13-2011, 01:57 PM

I BEST way I find is to order from Dell is over the phone....I ordered mine that way...spec'd it out EXACTLY the way I wanted it and it worked out fine...this way you get what you want and there are no mistakes as mentioned above just check the shipping date, you might have to pay extra for next day delivery but it can be done....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old

Default 06-13-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks for your answers.

Problem is that its not possible to buy from the American Dell store if you don't have an American credit card, not even paypal works - believe me, I have tried.

The credit card or paypal account most be registered to a us-address, otherwise the payment is not accepted.

I have only tried this with the Dell online store - not over telephone.

However, I have found an online store that carry the 1012 model with 1366x768 screen and mobile broadband that is located in Brooklyn - I am waiting for an answer on mail if it possible to pick up an order locally.
  (#5) Old

Default 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Problem is that its not possible to buy from the American Dell store if you don't have an American credit card, not even paypal works - believe me, I have tried.

The credit card or paypal account most be registered to a us-address, otherwise the payment is not accepted.
I didn't know that . Why does it have to be so hard for you to just to buy a Dell Mini? Maybe it is a tax issue of some sort. I do hope that the store you found has it in stock when you arrive. Maybe you can just pick it up there or they will send it to you hotel if it is too far away. I'm sure you don't want to spend most of a day just trying to pickup your new Mini.

(#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 06-13-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
I'm sure you don't want to spend most of a day just trying to pickup your new Mini.
why not I would.......lol

figure it this way...new in town...nothing to do.....trapped in a hotel room (which probably has wi-fi) what else to do?...playing with a brand new Mini would be an ideal thing to do.........or you could just get a hooker too......both probably cost about the same.....lol

but you get to take the Mini home with ya and the wife wont care........the hooker may give ya something to bring home too...but the wife would care about that

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 06-13-2011 at 11:19 PM.
  (#7) Old

Default 06-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Who knew that it could be so hard...

The online company based in Brooklyn was not able to let me pick up a package locally, and when the hostel said it was OK to ship a package to the hostel-adress where Im staying - the online company would not accept my payment since the shipping address was not the same as the address connected to my credit card... Sigh...
  (#8) Old

Default 06-17-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Who knew that it could be so hard...

The online company based in Brooklyn was not able to let me pick up a package locally, and when the hostel said it was OK to ship a package to the hostel-adress where Im staying - the online company would not accept my payment since the shipping address was not the same as the address connected to my credit card... Sigh...
If they won't let you pick it up, they probably don't have a store, it is online sales only, or worse, going to rip you off (steal your money & no Mini). Maybe you could email them, tell them what you want to do (include how long you will be in New York) & ask them if they have any ideas how you could buy a Mini from them.

How long will you be in the US & are you going anyplace besides New York?

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

I just checked Dell's web site & the Dell mini 1012 with 1366x768 is not for sale as a new Mini. There is a 1018 & 1012 but both are 1024x600. I did find what you are looking for in the Dell Factory Outlet for $259. See below.

Certified Refurbished

* Ice Blue
10.1 inch HD WideScreen Anti Glare Laptop Screen (1366x768)
* 6 Cell, 56WHr Lithium-Ion Primary Battery
HB 95 802.11n Wireless Network Card
* Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Internal English Single Pointing Keyboard
* No TV Tuner Option
30W AC Adapter
* 32BIT Operating System DVD
32BIT Operating System CD
Microsoft Office Starter

Price........ $259.00

These come & go quickly though.

« Dell Launches New Cloud-Based Services for Hospitals and Physician Practices | My Dell Downloads Stuck at "Examining my computer please wait" (Fixed) »