General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to tiuno Send a message via MSN to tiuno
Default Dell Mini 10v...do I need to upgrade? - 06-07-2011, 03:21 AM

Hey guys it's been a long time since last time I posted on this forum, always nice replies though. So I now have sort of a problem and thought some of you could help me. Here's the thing I'm going to college next year, OS X Lion is gonna be out and with lots of interesting features that can be helpful for a student! So I'll be buying a whole new set of devices since I am moving to france. I'm an iPhone enthusiast though it's small screen and high prices in europe make me doubt about getting one...main reason I want one is to keep in touch with my friends over here and be able to facetime/skype with my family and have an iPod on the go. My actual laptop is a Dell Mini 10v hackintosh and as far as I know Lion is gonna be out in 64 bits only, dropping support for Dell Mini 10v and I'll be buying a new computer soon since I'm moving. My first idea was to get a desktop hackintosh/mac and a new iPhone and keep my Mini and upgrade a few thing like battery,WiFi, bluetooth, HDD and this kind of stuff. But then came others ideas along. Why not get an iPad as a replacement for my Mini and have all my notes in one tiny device? And have a powerful MacBook Pro 15" and maybe say good bye to my beloved iPhone/iPod. Or get and iPad, bottom line MacBook Pro, and iPhone? Knowing that I'm an occasional WoW player, that I like to run Aperture, Final Cut and Adobe's CS5 suite and that my computer will be my media/entertainment system. That implies big enough screen to watch movies. Am really confused and I have to solve this problem by soon so any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!! Well thanks in advance and feel free to say whatever you want about the topic!

Dell Mini 10v||Bios A06||1GB RAM||160 GB HDD ||Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz||Mac OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard||NetbookInstaller 8.4 RC1 Updated for 10.6.4|| Windows 7 Ultimate || MacBook Air SMBios.plist
PowerBook 12"||G4 1.33 GHz||1.25 GB RAM||160 GB HDD||Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard

Colin
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM

Given what you describe, an iPad replacing the 10v makes sense. I can't comment about getting an iPhone or not. Having something in your pocket that does a lot is useful. I would suggest that, based on the software you use, a Macbook Pro would make more sense.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 06-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Hey Holmes4 thanks for your quick reply. I will strongly consider your opinion, sounds really wise

Dell Mini 10v||Bios A06||1GB RAM||160 GB HDD ||Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz||Mac OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard||NetbookInstaller 8.4 RC1 Updated for 10.6.4|| Windows 7 Ultimate || MacBook Air SMBios.plist

Colin
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 06-08-2011, 12:48 AM

I will note that I own an iPhone 3GS, an iPad 2 and a Mini 9. The iPad has effectively replaced the Mini 9, though as it shows in my signature, I dual boot Windows 7 and Mac OS on the Mini. I also have an older Macbook which I inherited from my brother and haven't done anything with yet. I am primarily a Windows user but am not averse to a different platform if it does what I need.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Thumbs down 06-08-2011, 01:08 AM

That's nice I own a 3GS too . So the iPad is a good idea? Ok I guess I will get one as soon as I have the money. And for the computer I need to think because I looked at the prices for the MBP 15" amd wow it scared and erased my smile lol. I'll probably be going with a hackintosh. Don't know yet. What do you use your iPad for?

Colin
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 06-08-2011, 11:13 PM

I use it for mostly what I used the Mini for - web browsing, email, games, following news. Lots more applications on the iPad though, that I would never have considered on the Mini 9 (or simply don't work there.) It's much easier to pick up and start using, and the battery lasts much longer.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 06-08-2011, 11:58 PM

Nice, but how about taking notes or reading? Is the screen "agressive" to your eyes after a long use time? The reasons of my questions is that I'm planing to use the iPad for college and by that I mean take notes, study and read. Anyway you've heleped me a lot so far thank you!

Colin
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 06-09-2011, 12:56 AM

I have a Kindle 3, and prefer that to the iPad for reading books - the iPad is twice the weight of the Kindle and the physical holding of the iPad and using swipes or taps to change pages I find tiring. But it has got to be easier than using a netbook or notebook for that. I suppose if I were studying, I'd prop the iPad up on a table (I have the SmartCover, and a PadPivot stand is supposedly coming sometime (once manufacturing gets going - it's a Kickstarter project.)

I have not done much with taking notes, though I have tapped out forum replies and email with it and it was acceptable for that. I happen to have a Bluetooth keyboard that works with the iPad and if I were in a situation where I knew I'd be typing a lot, I'd bring it along. The iPad and the keyboard weigh less than a Mini.

Don't get me wrong - I loved my Mini 9 and it was a delightful device for its time. Perhaps a new generation of netbooks (Intel is now saying "Ultrabook") would be a great combination, but I would not buy any of today's netbooks if I were in the market for one. Also, my personal experience does not, by any means, generalize to everyone. I have done things with my Mini 9 that I could never do with an iPad, but more because I could, not because I needed to. For some people, the no-walls environment of a netbook (limited mainly by CPU power) is a requirement and an iPad would not suffice.

Steve
  (#9) Old

Default 06-09-2011, 01:16 AM

Ok this is really good to know! Well yeah the netbook has been great but if I happen to own a powerfull computer and an iPad maybe the netbook would become a Luxury device. As for taking notes on the iPad I have my doubts you know, I feel it more like a device for websurfing and stuff like this and mybe not that much of a tool. The best thing I can do is to get one in my hands and test it. I guess. I'll look at the kindle 3 it can be interesting and cheap . The mini has been great but mainly used as a computer more than a netbook lol. That's the reason why I feel I need to replace it, the CPU is cutting my wings! Moreover it hasn't been great taking note with it. I think the most perfect device for that would be a MacBook Air but it's awfully expensive and with it a main computer and iPhone? If I can afford that I may not need to study, ok joke. But of course I wouldn't buy all that stuff. Best thing I can do so far is to test the iPad for note-taking. Thank you again Holmes4!

Colin

« nettop/htpc | Dell Memory Compatibility between Mini/XPS »