General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default New Macbook Range - 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM

The over-hyped new macbook range was released today, basically everything has just gotten a bit more expensive and theres no mouse buttons :!:

Also, no netbook, so the clsoest thing Apple has to such a device is the Air, but that will cost you literally an arm and a leg.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: New Macbook Range - 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM

they are very nice looking...but they do cost quite a bit.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: New Macbook Range - 10-15-2008, 06:11 AM

too little to late, I think. Looks that kill but no BIG bump in specs, plus you have to reboot to switch between discreet graphics and full on...
  (#4) Old

Default Re: New Macbook Range - 10-15-2008, 10:02 AM

It feels a lot like Apple have hit their stride in terms of their industry position. Market share is way up, and with it hits standard consumer expectation. For Apple, that basically means they have to scale back the big, game-changing hardware changes to some extent and act more like a traditional OEM to stabilise any large changes in consumer movement. Knocking specs up to match current tech as opposed to large changes in hardware, testing designs with single Rev A hardware releases then standardising the look across the line if it takes off etc.

The NetBook is an awkward product for them at the moment because of where it would sit in their existing product line-up. One thing the big OEM's currently aren't afraid to do is to use a diverse range of hardware across their systems - Dell for instance will go up as far as Core 2 Quads/Xeons in their top end stuff, right down to Atom's and Celeron's at the low-end. This experience allows them to slap pretty much any random cheap hardware in their NetBook's without fear. Not so for Apple - they extensively test and select a particular CPU/GPU line for their systems, and pretty much stick to it across all products. NetBook's are quite a price-driven product; they're importance is in their low-cost, which means for Apple to compete (even though they'd still likely be £100-£200 more expensive) and retain their oh-so-important profit margins they'd have to look at using a completely revised spec in terms of hardware, which is gonna take some R&D time and spending to get the balance right. I think for the time being, they'd be looking at their iPhone as their NetBook competitor and developing that to compete.

"If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
  (#5) Old

Default Re: New Macbook Range - 10-25-2008, 12:29 AM

I've played with them twice. Nice, but so is a Rolex. A huge guess on my part is that if Apple did have a netbook there would be no physical keyboard and would have to cost $800.00 or more. Heck the original 16GB iPod Touch came out at $400.00 did it not? Would I want one. Yes. Would my spouse kill me yes :lol:

« Medion Akoya mini netbook | Appearance: HP or Dell? »