General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

View Poll Results: USB unrecognized?
Have you received this error message since April 25, 2011? 0 0%
Have you received this error message on all USB ports? 0 0%
Are your USB ports slowly giving this message? 0 0%
Are all your DELL drivers and BIOS up to date? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old

Send a message via ICQ to belindaloo
Default USB not recognized april 2011 - 05-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Hello Dell 11z users,
This is my situation and I need some help!
My wonderful Dell 11z is not recognizing the USB ports - for external drives or for my external (bluetooth) mouse, etc.... not one of the 3 drives works any differently.
A Win 7 update was installed on April 29, 2011 and really since then everything started going haywire.
My Dell 11z was a 64-bit which I did a clean re-install to a 32-bit because 2 of my most important (and expensive) programs were not working on 64-bit. I did this from the very beginning of ownership (March 2010).
I made sure all the Dell updates were done but no change in this error messaging.
I checked online about the same error and tried unplugging, removing battery, waiting 5 minutes and starting up again - no change.
I'm not sure how to remove the most recent Win7 updates but can try if someone walks me through it... I guess I'm suspecting this as the problem?

Does anyone else get a similar error reading? Any advice or answers?

Sincerely,
Belinda
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-01-2011, 01:35 PM

You can remove individual Windows Updates through the Programs and Features applet in Control Panel - click on "Installed Updates" for a list. You would need to know which specific update was the problem.

I think that first I'd go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel, open Computer Management and then Device Manager. Look to see if any of the devices have a yellow warning triangle next to them indicating a driver problem.

However, an easier solution may be to do a System Restore to a date before when you noticed a problem. Just type System Restore in the start menu to get going.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 05-01-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks. I didn't see any errors in the device manager so I did a System Restore to April 24th. When I did the SysRestore I received an error (0xc0000022) message that it did not complete successfully.
Even tho I got that message, it seems like it did restore to an earlier time.
Now my usb port for my bluetooth dongle works again.
Thanks.
I'm not sure that I should allow the windows update to happen tho? WHat do you suggest?
Belinda
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 05-01-2011, 07:31 PM

you can download them and pick and chose which to install after reveiwing what they actually are..chose go into your windows uodate and chose the option to 'download but let me chose when to install' option

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM

You can also right click on a suggested update and select "hide", which will prevent it from being shown again. But can you figure out which update it was?

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default 05-01-2011, 08:28 PM

I have no clue which update it was!
So far my bluetooth dongle is still working.
I have always had Windows update set to wait until I install, and I'll keep it that way.
But how on earth do I find out which update short-circuits my usb ports (all of them, and anything I plug in would suddenly become unrecognized).
Any tips on how to find out the update I don't need?
Belinda
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 05-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Well, you could run Windows Update, let it give you the list of updates, and install only one. Reboot and see if the problem returns. If it does, uninstall that update only (you can do that through Programs and Features.) If not, try the next. There were about five or six released in the last few days. You could speed up this process by taking them two at a time.

Steve
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 05-02-2011, 02:09 AM

to tell ya the truth I have never really seen a Windows Update do anything like this before, it have a feeling it is probably some other piece of software that is giving you the conflict/problem...but try what Steve said and see what happens

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#9) Old

Default 05-06-2011, 01:14 PM

I've delayed the update and so far things are working. I'm trying today by installing one update at a time and we'll see how long my usb ports keep functioning.
Stay tuned!

« Dell Mini 9 (910) No LEDs, No battery charge, won't run off AC either | Runcore SSD problem »