General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-18-2009, 11:39 PM

to buy now or wait til the new stuff comes out... That's what is killing me right now. I'm mainly concerned with the new atom chips that are dual core and windows 7.

I really want to get one now, but I don't want to get hosed out of free windows 7 and potentially a better processor... any thoughts?
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-18-2009, 11:50 PM

windows 7 has nothing to do with the new Atom N280

anyway, windows 7 will be still beta at least 'till august 09, long wait for you man you can buy NOW a mini 9 and install windows 7 like hundred people did in this forum. or maybe wait 'till the mini 10 is released

sory me no spiko english
  (#3) Old

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-19-2009, 01:05 AM

I might be wrong, but I think dual core atoms are made specifically for Nettops (mini-desktops) not netbooks like the Mini 9.
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-19-2009, 01:54 AM

Well, they just showed off the "next generation" of netbooks at CES, and I didn't see a single one that offered a dual core atom. I'd say it'll be the next generation.. Maybe by summer at best? But nobody has even hinted at doing it yet. Hopefully when they do go dual core, they'll toss in the nVidia Ion chipset so we can get some real sweet performance out of these great CPU's. (And have a fighting chance of getting it to work with OS X, as the GMA500 is worthless for that).

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#5) Old

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-19-2009, 01:55 AM

The N280 is still single core. It only increases by ~60Mz and has a faster FSB. I dont think itl make a huge difference. Iv got the mini 9 and am mostly happy with it (im not interesting in spending extra cash to get a better SSD, second gen should fix this). Im using win xp and hopefully when win 7 beta 2 comes out it will be better optimised for the netbooks. I was reading the win 7 will have special code to config with ssd. Anywho thats my two cents.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-19-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyRhino
I might be wrong, but I think dual core atoms are made specifically for Nettops (mini-desktops) not netbooks like the Mini 9.

I believe you're correct after looking into it... That makes me less worried about that aspect! The N280 will be slightly faster, but I'd be shocked if it was more than 10% faster, not a big deal to me. For some reason I thought they had dual core atoms coming to netbooks, but it doesn't look like it at this point.

The question is now, when does the mini10 come out, and I wonder when Windows 7 will come out, because I'd hate to drop ~$300 right now and then windows 7 come out in 4 months (or the upgrade period where they let you upgrade for free right before it launches etc)
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-19-2009, 02:00 AM

The dual core Atom chip is the 330. I have one in my desktop machine.

(#8) Old

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-19-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
The dual core Atom chip is the 330. I have one in my desktop machine.

cool I guess that it means that I'll just have to mull it over on if it's worth waiting for windows 7 or jumping in head first.

Did I hear that the mini 10 won't be able to run OS-X? I was also considering getting the 9 and doing this, but the 10's keyboard looks much better for bigger hands...
  (#9) Old
Guru

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-19-2009, 02:15 AM

Yeah, no OS X with the GMA500 chipset, which the Mini10 and 12 both have. Generally, any netbook that has the n series Atom will work, and any that has the Z series atom won't.

(#10) Old

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-19-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyRhino

I believe you're correct after looking into it... That makes me less worried about that aspect! The N280 will be slightly faster, but I'd be shocked if it was more than 10% faster, not a big deal to me. For some reason I thought they had dual core atoms coming to netbooks, but it doesn't look like it at this point.

The question is now, when does the mini10 come out, and I wonder when Windows 7 will come out, because I'd hate to drop ~$300 right now and then windows 7 come out in 4 months (or the upgrade period where they let you upgrade for free right before it launches etc)
Well, Windows 7 isn't coming out in four months. As someone said above, you've got some time to wait.

« SDD with USB Port ?? | External Sound Card »