General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-20-2009, 12:04 AM

No text.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-20-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroxic
Has anyone seen what kind of heat the dual core atoms are putting out? I have a feeling those wouldn't be to friendly in a fanless netbook configuration
The single core n270 has a TDP of 2.5 , whilst the 330 is 8. I think that means it would be considerably hotter. That means a small and unreliable fan. My mini gets considerably hot just surfing the net(i use it as a heating device for my lap, no kiddin, when I'm in my garage forcing carcinogenic smoke into my lungs). That being said, I don't think Intel will ever sell the 330 as a notebook/netbook CPU when the Celeron and Core 2 duo already does a swell job of covering the area the Atom doesn't/can't. That doesn't mean however, that you can't send your favorite chip maker an email with what you would like to see in the future regarding their CPU's in portable devices. keep in mind they can only pull so much processing power out of a chip without sacrificing power consumption/heat. I think as it sits now, the Atom is dead on for light computing tasks in netbooks. once Nvidia gets on board and irons out the graphics issues, you'll have a nice little CPU/GPU combo that will be able to handle most peoples computing needs. I, like UnaClocker, use the 330 in my desktop and don't see the need to have one in my mini but who knows, maybe you or someone else could use the extra horsepower.
p.s. Windows 7 does a pretty bang-up job on both the 270 and 330, i'll probably shell out the money for it when it goes RTM.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#13) Old

Default Re: When will dual core Atoms be in minis? Windows 7? - 01-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Thats assuming the ION platform reaches Netbooks as well, from what I've seen of it, its currently only proved to be in a desktop platform (IE- Mac Mini).

If the Ion does reach Netbooks, you can expect me to do a trade in

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*

« SDD with USB Port ?? | External Sound Card »