General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to PDADoc Send a message via MSN to PDADoc Send a message via Yahoo to PDADoc Send a message via Skype™ to PDADoc
Default Dell is REALLY starting to piss me off! - 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM

While I like my Mini 1012, dealing with Dell has become an exercise in frustration and futility!

I remember there was a time that I could call customer support and get an American in the U.S. on the phone. Now when I call about a problem I get an automated system and then a transfer to a call center in INDIA!!! That's where the REAL fun begins as I struggle to either understand or make myself understood. Last I checked, Dell was still a U.S. company, based in Texas.

I still have a couple of unresolved issues and they can't be resolved by a CS rep in India (believe me, I tried, MANY, MANY times!).

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get through to someone in the U.S.?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-12-2011, 01:25 AM

Buy a business PC. Really - consumer support is all in India. Some of them are good, though.

You may also want to try the Dell chat service (also India but at least you don't have accents to worry about) or Dell on Facebook, which has a support feature.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 03-12-2011, 01:47 AM

I recently had the same issue with Western Digital.....I finally got to a level 2 person (in the US) and they told me anytime I have an issue to escalate the call to a level 2 person (they are all in the US)....maybe Dell has the same structure

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to PDADoc Send a message via MSN to PDADoc Send a message via Yahoo to PDADoc Send a message via Skype™ to PDADoc
Default 03-12-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Buy a business PC. Really - consumer support is all in India. Some of them are good, though.

You may also want to try the Dell chat service (also India but at least you don't have accents to worry about) or Dell on Facebook, which has a support feature.
Buying a business PC no longer insulates you from the "globalization" that's going on, not anymore.

As for the other avenues you've suggested, I've tried them all subsequent to my results via phone.

One of my patients managed to get me a contact at Dell so I'll try that on Monday and see how it shakes out. I don't want to get them in trouble, so I'll have to figure out how to approach how I came to have their direct extension.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
I recently had the same issue with Western Digital.....I finally got to a level 2 person (in the US) and they told me anytime I have an issue to escalate the call to a level 2 person (they are all in the US)....maybe Dell has the same structure
I'm right there with you on this, and I agree. However, whenever I've politely but firmly requested this, I'm placed on hold for an interminable period of time and BAM! Disconnected! And this happens every time without exception. At one point, I could even HEAR the annoyance in the representative's voice when I requested to be escalated to level 2 support. I guess they figure they're in India and therefore have less of an accountability quotient than if they were here.

I'm really beginning to grow tired of India for this reason.
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Dell did return it's business support to the US.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM

This thread reminds me of the sitcom Outsourced.

I tend to use the chat option for support as well. Not only is there less of a language barrier problem, you also get an automated email with a transcript of the session when done, so it's easier to follow-up on later if there are still issues.

KuoH
  (#7) Old

Default 04-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Outsourced is a great show. Trying to overcome language barriers when you need help can be very frustrating.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-14-2011, 04:04 PM

I've had a few similar problems with Dell Support India, but often they are very helpful. But I like the Chat suggestion, and will try that next time.
  (#9) Old

Thumbs down 05-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrmin View Post
I've had a few similar problems with Dell Support India, but often they are very helpful. But I like the Chat suggestion, and will try that next time.
I found the chat session for sales was extremely misleading and totally uninformative--I was quoted a price for a Dell 5 Streak and noone would honor it--they said the Chat rep has no authority to quote a sales price--I didn't even ask for the price--they just volunteered it, but was misinformation and very frustrating.
  (#10) Old

Default 05-15-2011, 10:02 PM

I work for a very large food service company and I know the problems dealing with tech reps that do not speak the same language as most of its customers. Almost all of our units use Dell equipment and the service we receive is very poor in the last few years.

As the dollar crunch goes on do not expect things to get much better. We have learned to rely on our local reps and avoid the Indian connection. I have nothing against them; its just a problem. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« DELL Streak 5 Unlocked 225-0059 vs 225-1465 | DropVox iPhone App - Recordings Uploaded Straight to Dropbox! »