General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 01-17-2009, 12:06 AM

I am trying out a bunch of sync/backup/cloud options. I have a couple requirements. 1) I want many or most of my important docs on the drive 2) I want the docs on the SD card not the SSD, 3) I choice of which files get saved to which computer-so I can backup more docs on my large laptop and less on the mini.

What I have tried:

Dropbox. I really like dropbox. It is very fast, large files are updating nearly instantly. Cost is ok, but I wish there were more gradients, free or $99 a year are the only options. If you do a backdoor install you can get it installed on the SD card. What it doesn't do it have choice of folder per computer. So it is either all or nothing.

Syncplicity. I probably should have given this one more time. It allowed for choice of folders. It allowed for install on SD card. But it seemed VERY slow. Price was same as Dropbox. There also seemed to be some kind of conflict and about 4000 files were deleted. I am not sure that was syncplicity but I think it was. I had a backup so nothing was lost.

ZumaDrive. Just trying this one now so I can't say much more its ad. But it is trying to be a smart cache system that puts actively used files on the drive and less used files in the cloud. Does not allow for install on the SD card (where I could have a larger cache). Can't say much about the speed yet. It does have more price gradients so I like that. Another knock against it is that I use Carbonite.com as a backup system. Zuma installs itself as a Z:\ drive and the files are on this virutal z:\ drive. Carbonite doesn't recognize it as a drive so it won't back anything up. This shouldn't be a problem because Zuma should be backing up, but I still would like a secondary backup.

Anyone else have ideas or suggestions on what they use.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 01-20-2009, 08:35 PM

I use Goodsync:
http://www.goodsync.com/

Free version limits number of jobs, but if you use one folder between devices, you don't need the paid version.
I have the paid version because I am moving data from Passport USB drive to Mini9,Laptop and PDAPhone.

Mini 9,16gig,2Meg,Bluetooth
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM

Carbonite is a backup solution, not sync. I use it on my desktop.

For sync (and also backup) of docs, I use SugarSync.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 01-21-2009, 12:29 AM

i am using mesh. microsofts cloud solution.... well worth a look, but no linux client (not counting the browser.)
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 01-22-2009, 05:07 AM

I have dropped Zumo and Syncplicity. I am trying Mesh. Still like dropbox best so far, but still don't want to pay for their 50GB account when I really only need 10 or maybe 20 GB.

My ISP is going to ban me for trying out all these services. I upload 5 to 10 GB with each service and then download twice as much as I upload. Mesh will be the four service I tried this month.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM

I dropped mesh and am back to dropbox. Mesh seems to work well but not for my purposes. I couldn't get it to put the files on an removable drive. Right now only dropbox and syncplicity will allow for data on the removable drive.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 02-07-2009, 08:17 PM

My drive crashed and I had to send my mini back to Dell. I, of course, got a newly formated computer back. So I tried to recreate what I was doing before. I couldn't get dropbox to load on the sd card like I did before until I tried to mount it as a volume instead. I found these directions on another site and thought they might help someone. Should help with programs that won't run on removable drives.

You might be able to trick it by mounting it as a volume instead of a drive letter. Go into disk management (right mouse click "Computer" in explorer or on your desktop). Select "Disk Management" and then right click on your removable disk.
Select "Change drive letters and paths" and then the "Remove" button. Click OK to the warning.
You can then select "Change drive letters and paths" and mount the disk under a folder of your C:\ drive.

(Note I did this on a windows 7 beta machine)
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 02-13-2009, 06:35 AM

I've got my Mini setup with a VPN back to my home network with drive mappings to my NAS device with 3TB of total storage.

Not a cheap solution, but lots of storage!

Mine: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC | Carbon Fiber Skin
Hers: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC
Test: Black Mini 9 - 16GB STEC | 1GB RAM | 16GB SDHC | OSX
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Sync/Backup/Cloud Options - 02-17-2009, 04:51 AM

I like to separate my file sync and backup solutions. They're not the same thing so you should find solutions that are optimized for each task. Think of file sync as your inbox and active work folder while backup is the storage shed of banker boxes.

I use Dropbox for file sync because it lets me keep a set of up-to-date files across multiple machines - current work files, images, and reading material. Since it's just actively used files, I keep it under the 2GB limit. Big working files get copied to flash drives for transport.

For backup, I use Backblaze. This is for files on the home desktop that need to be archived but not regularly accessed like my photos, important personal records, and old work files. The Dropbox folder gets archived to Backblaze regularly. Backblaze is $5/month for unlimited storage.

« Cloning/Ghosting software | Toms Hardware reviews 13 SD cards »