General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Got my CR-48 Chrome-OS netbook - 12-18-2010, 12:55 AM

Well I was surprised to see a box on my doorstep the other day, and was even more surprised to find a Google ChromeOS netbook inside. I've been using my Dell mini9 religiously since I got it two years ago, but it looks like I'll be trying this out for a while. I mainly use my mini9 for web browsing, but there are a couple things I won't be able to do. One is my OBD scan tool which I run through wine, although often difficult to get setup is at least possible in Linux.

As far as hardware goes, the larger keyboard is believe it or not hard to get used to. The trackpad is large, but I'm really missing the hardware buttons on the mini9. I guess this is the direction everything is going, but I hate tapping the pad for left click. I constantly get accidental clicks and right clicks are difficult. Worst of all I miss being able to click both buttons for middle click. Battery life is great so far, but the form factor is not as nice as the mini9.

I love the OS, it is quick, easy and does most of what I need. I could really see recommending this to people. A few features are needed, and I really hope the rest of the industry picks up on software/hardware support. Having a third option(besides linux) might be the straw that will break the windows only support problem we all have. Writing your device to talk to a standard web browser would be a great way to be completely cross platform.

Anyone else get one? What do you guys think?

Tags
chrome, cr-48, cr48, google

« Bios failure | Windows Phone 7 »