General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default What is the best ssd hard drive available today? - 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM

which company out there makes the fastest and best 2.5 ssd hard drive today? i am looking for a 128-200 max hard drive.

thanks
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM

There are frequent reviews of SSDs on sites such as anandtech.com. Certainly those will tell you which are fastest based on various benchmarks. "Best" is an ambiguous term. There are many good choices. The Intel X25-M is still very popular, even though some newer drives have better overall performance. Long-term performance is also important as many SSDs slow down over time.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 10-28-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
There are frequent reviews of SSDs on sites such as anandtech.com. Certainly those will tell you which are fastest based on various benchmarks. "Best" is an ambiguous term. There are many good choices. The Intel X25-M is still very popular, even though some newer drives have better overall performance. Long-term performance is also important as many SSDs slow down over time.

thanks holmes. i guess i am not the only one who is thinking SSD are slows over time. my runcore 64gig on my mini 9 got so slow i had to switch over to my stock dell 16gig and i don't even use this netbook on anything but surf the net and save pictures onto it.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 10-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Some SSDs slow over time due to the way they allocate blocks. But pretty much all "standard" (not specialized card) SSDs support mechanisms to avoid this, either supporting the ATA TRIM command, or doing their own "garbage collection".

It is unclear to me if any of the RunCore SSDs for the Mini 9 support TRIM. I know the early ones did not.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 10-29-2010, 11:40 AM

The OWC Mercury Extreme RE with 28% over provisioning gets my vote.

« Watch flash in full screen with no lag | New iPad Clones with Android 2.2 OS »