General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#51) Old

Default 10-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J400uk View Post
I've bought one to replace my old MacBook white. Although on paper the specs are not fantastic in reality it feels very very quick thanks to the blazingly fast SSD. Boot up times are speedy and applications launch fast, the whole system feels very snappy and responsive. I love the design, the super-thin aluminium unibody enclosure looks gorgeous stood next to the older MacBook. The screen is in no way cramped, and the keyboard is full size. It is to all intents and purposes a proper MacBook, just a small one.

Congratulations on your purchase :-)

I was a first iteration Macbook Air owner once . What frustrated me a lot was the sound of the fan, it used to go on hyperdrive for the simplest thing. If I was on the web with a page that had flash, it just goes crazy.

Hopefully the new ones with the 320M graphics card don't do that.

Can you please report on your experience in this regard. Thanks.
  (#52) Old

Default 10-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacken View Post
does the 11 have the keyboard back lit as well? i would like to have a keyboard lit up as i usually work in dark rooms or when i am using in the living room during night times. time to look at some reviews online...

just did my research
EDIT: no back board key lit or ethernet plug =( expensive netbook with non of that..
The air is slimmer than an ethernet port is. It's one of those things you have to do with out when getting cutting edge design and technology. There's probably only a couple people willing to add a quarter inch to have a ethernet port or a eighth of an inch for a backlit keyboard on an ultra portable notebook. You can get a usb to ethernet adapter if you don't have wifi but most people who buy apple products have wifi.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by achmeingott View Post
I read that the processors used are fairly unimpressive. I just bought an aluminum bodied HP triple core, 4gb ddr3, 15.6 led, etc, etc for around $500, I simply can't justify dropping $1k on a netbook. Then again that's why I got into the Mini 10v, I picked mine up for less than $200.
For all the people confused between a netbook (cheap parts and optimized for the internet) and a subnotebook or ultraportable.

"A subnotebook (sometimes also called ultraportable) is a class of laptop computers that are smaller and lighter than typical notebooks. They are also sometimes confused with netbooks which are a different category of devices that branched off from mini notebooks in general with the coming of the first of such devices, the EEE PC, these are most often much less expensive than Subnotebooks, and optimized for use as portable Internet capable devices." Wikepedia

Alpine White mini 9 | 32gb Runcore | 2gb Ram | 1.3 MP Webcam | OS X 10.5.7 | No BT (want to buy 2.1 internal module
  (#53) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 vs Macbook Air 11.6 (pics) - 10-30-2010, 10:19 PM

Hi there!

Here are some (Mr. Blurrycam-) pictures I took today at the Apple Store in Hamburg.
I'm really stunned HOW thin this thing is!
The Dell Mini 9 looks HUGE!

The downsides are the missing 3G-card and that Apple decided to ditch the backlit keyboard from the first Air and the recent Pros ...

Dell Mini 9 UMTS (german Vodafone-model) -- BIOS A04 -- 2GB RAM -- 32GB RunCore SSD
WWAN Dell 5530 3G-Card + SIM-Card "Alice -- HowTo-3G?
0.3 MP Webcam-- WLAN -- BT
OS X 10.6.4 online update -- NBI 201006162123512
  (#54) Old
Administrator

Default 10-31-2010, 12:23 AM

For four times the price and two years later, not surprising it's thinner. But it's clearly larger in length and width and is missing features the 9 has. Always tradeoffs.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#55) Old

Default 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM

To be honest i would prefer they made it smaller in size but fatter. And then a card reader and a few more USBs.....Everthing is a trade off....

Mini 10v Black. Win XP, Bluetooth.
  (#56) Old

Default 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM

@holms4 + terence10v
"Four times the price" - that's the problem!
With the missing internal 3G, backlit keyboard and no card reader in the 11.6"-version, it's easier for me to withstand the silent "Buy me!"-whispering I heard from this little beauty. :-)

Maybe Apple decides to do a revision 2.0 an add somefeatures ...

Dell Mini 9 UMTS (german Vodafone-model) -- BIOS A04 -- 2GB RAM -- 32GB RunCore SSD
WWAN Dell 5530 3G-Card + SIM-Card "Alice -- HowTo-3G?
0.3 MP Webcam-- WLAN -- BT
OS X 10.6.4 online update -- NBI 201006162123512
  (#57) Old

Default 11-02-2010, 05:57 PM

I'd be worried about snapping the thing in half lol
  (#58) Old

Default 11-03-2010, 01:53 AM

i don't consider the macbook air a netbook To start with, it's more than three times the price

isn't that like saying i don't consider it a netbook because it's sliver or something.

yeah wide screen 11"

the photo comparison is a Dell mini 9 ...

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#59) Old

Default 11-03-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay794 View Post
I'd be worried about snapping the thing in half lol
There's no need to worry. With the aluminum unibody construction it's one of the strongest sturdiest notebooks out there.

Alpine White mini 9 | 32gb Runcore | 2gb Ram | 1.3 MP Webcam | OS X 10.5.7 | No BT (want to buy 2.1 internal module
  (#60) Old

Default 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM

While I am no apple fanboy (only running OSX on the mini 9) you have to admit these guys know how to make a laptop sexy, their design team is amazing.

I know the internal spec's are rather low (ULV processer etc) with only 2 USB ports but basically telling the market that the SSD is not upgradeable, the market accepting this is really amazing. Mind you I hope they have great wear leveling cos if the SSD dies so does the mobo.

« New iPad Clones with Android 2.2 OS | Because of FF with chromifox and caption plus, IE is a gonner. »