General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#41) Old

Default 10-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Um, no, it's not. OS X is derived from BSD Unix, not Linux. That also ignores the "presentation layer" and system API that is uniquely Apple's.
Lineage...
Okay not Linux,"Technically" since it was around before Linus Torvalds rebuilt Linux from Unix. I know it's Unix, but saying they are totally difference it pulling hairs.(Other then what is uniquely OS X)

I'm not saying OS X, doesn't have the "presentation layer" and the API that is unique to it as well. I would expect nothing less then that from
someone as smart as Steve Jobs...

Its just that everyone hates Bill Gates for completely creating something new, and easy to use.(I still have a 450Mhz G3 Mac, that works just fine) However, if people put the time they put into tearing apart Windows, into finding exploits in OS X they would find they exist.
(So my colleagues who study OS X at MIT Tell me)

I've been using Macs since the Apple II.
While I have more Cisco, & Windows Certs to go with my BA in Computer Sciences, I still was able to get a Linux cert, but when I looked into getting "Unix" certified I saw how close the code-base was to Linux, and knew, I could still fix them. That was long ago, before I started my own Corp. and became "the boss"

Making OS X run on other computers isn't about sticking it to Jobs, or because they cost so much. They are built exceedingly well.
Heck I could buy, as many of Todays Macs, and 1998's prices(Oh Yeah that G3 (with OS 7) cost me more then 3,000 US) it runs OS 9 just fine though.
Its about paying for the OS and seeing what you can get it to work on. Isn't that what "part" of mydellmini is about?

So what are you a Gates "basher" a MAC boy, or
just pointing out my lineage mistake?
I'm not being a dick just asking a question.

Kind Regards,

Celtic Netbooker

Mini 9| 64GB Runcore SSD |2GB Geil Low Latency DDR2 800 |Blue-tooth|1.3 webcam|Sleep|10.6.0

Studio 14z Windows 7 Ult. x64 and SL 10.6.4 (64 bit) ubuntu 10.04 (wubi Edition)| T9550 2.66Ghz| 500GB WD Black 7.200 RPM HDD | 5GB DDR3 1066 | Intel 5300 Wifi N | Nvidia 9400m |1.3mp webcam|8 cell = 8 hrs in OSX| 6 hrs in Win 7|7 in Ubuntu
  (#42) Old
Administrator

Default 10-27-2010, 05:19 PM

Just pointing out a mistake - and a common one at that. I have no particular love for either Windows or OS X, though from my perspective as a developer of developer tools, I much prefer Microsoft's open approach to Apple's closed and secretive approach that frequently causes non-Apple products to break in minor OS updates. Microsoft, at least, understands the word "compatibility".

If I had my way, we'd all be running VMS.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#43) Old

Default 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM

it's a good thing i did not purchase a macbook air when it first surface. it was at the range of 1600-2500 at that time and thinking about it, i won't either now too. there are a lot of variety out there these days.. =)
  (#44) Old

Default 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Just pointing out a mistake - and a common one at that. I have no particular love for either Windows or OS X, though from my perspective as a developer of developer tools, I much prefer Microsoft's open approach to Apple's closed and secretive approach that frequently causes non-Apple products to break in minor OS updates. Microsoft, at least, understands the word "compatibility".

If I had my way, we'd all be running VMS.
I concur VMS is a great "Virtual" OS, and beside it being the most fault tolerant, and exploit resistant, [+ when it got a GUI, not a bad looking V OS] it works well with most hardwre.
I use it spread across 3 dual itanium boxes at the same time , for database, email and file serving, within my SOHO.

I have no love for either myself, but like you said Microsoft does know compatibility. I think its a major reason some of my friends, [who are alumni at MIT] are working to create a variable open source version based on the best of OS X without infringing on patents, copyrights, or other rights, help by Apple Inc. which isn't going to be easy.

I have been a programmer(well dabbler) on & off for the last 20 or so years. Basically I got into writing programs, for use in my own corp.
One of my best, was rewriting a BIOS, for the Dell Insp. 5150, I had which always overheated. They were not to happy with me when they sent me a replacement notebook(a 6400/E1505, for the 5150, with the BIOS I'd written, only to get it back, with a Del 5150l BIOS I flashed back on.
[maybe if they offered to pay me] they wanted to know how I'd made the 5150 stop overheating, without putting in a faster Cooling Unit, after it blew 4 x P4 3.06Ghz

Anyway, I started with Fortran, Cobal, and C#, then added C++, perl, java, and VB up to VB 6, then VB.NET

I have never written developer tools, to assist developers..Seems like a lot of code to be compiled.

Regards in Programming, common ground for both of us,

Celtic Netbooker

Mini 9| 64GB Runcore SSD |2GB Geil Low Latency DDR2 800 |Blue-tooth|1.3 webcam|Sleep|10.6.0

Studio 14z Windows 7 Ult. x64 and SL 10.6.4 (64 bit) ubuntu 10.04 (wubi Edition)| T9550 2.66Ghz| 500GB WD Black 7.200 RPM HDD | 5GB DDR3 1066 | Intel 5300 Wifi N | Nvidia 9400m |1.3mp webcam|8 cell = 8 hrs in OSX| 6 hrs in Win 7|7 in Ubuntu
  (#45) Old

Default 10-27-2010, 10:49 PM

I've bought one to replace my old MacBook white. Although on paper the specs are not fantastic in reality it feels very very quick thanks to the blazingly fast SSD. Boot up times are speedy and applications launch fast, the whole system feels very snappy and responsive. I love the design, the super-thin aluminium unibody enclosure looks gorgeous stood next to the older MacBook. The screen is in no way cramped, and the keyboard is full size. It is to all intents and purposes a proper MacBook, just a small one.

It is however not a Netbook, and it won't replace the Dell 10v. I see the Air more as a proper laptop but one that is very lightweight. Its role for me will be taking on short breaks and for using around my home. It won't replace the Dell, which is clearly a cheap low cost machine that you can just chuck in the bag and forget about and use out and about. The battery on the Dell is also better, it easily gets 6 - 7 hours whereas the Air gets just 5 hours.

Dell Inspiron Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | Atom N270 | 1GB DDR2 | 32GB SSD | Bluetooth | 6-Cell | OS X 10.6.5 SOLD
  (#46) Old

Default 10-27-2010, 10:58 PM

Yeah the new baby Air looks great and secretly I want one. But in reality it is too much money for too little function. It really could not replace my Macbook Pro.

And as for having a second computer/netbook to carry around i'm happy with my OSX mini9 that is a third of the price and therefore I can take it all over the place without worrying at all about it. Plus, this mini 9 of mine can take some knocks! Dropped it so many times with no damage at all.

Mini 9 - 10.5.7 - 2GB Ram - BiosA05 - DellEFI 1.1 - 64GB runcore (installed using 'Runcore on a Mac' method)
  (#47) Old

Default 10-27-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay794 View Post
.....How is it not in the netbook category? its smaller than a 13" laptop and has no optical drive, thus its a netbook
A netbook is a small and low cost PC, and they use cheap components such as the Atom processor that you simply would not find in a proper laptop.

A MacBook Air 11" is noticeably larger than any netbook I've ever seen and is very much just a slightly smaller version of the MacBook, sharing the same components such as the core 2 duo processor and nvidia geforce 320m graphics.

Ultraportable laptops like this where available for years before netbooks came onto the market.

Dell Inspiron Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | Atom N270 | 1GB DDR2 | 32GB SSD | Bluetooth | 6-Cell | OS X 10.6.5 SOLD
  (#48) Old

Default 10-28-2010, 06:56 AM

Whether I'm right or wrong, IMO a netbook is any small "laptop" without a optical drive, regardless of cost or components, but as I said before that is just my definition of a netbook, thus the M11X and the MBAir fall into that category.
  (#49) Old

Default 10-28-2010, 05:57 PM

does the 11 have the keyboard back lit as well? i would like to have a keyboard lit up as i usually work in dark rooms or when i am using in the living room during night times. time to look at some reviews online...

just did my research
EDIT: no back board key lit or ethernet plug =( expensive netbook with non of that..
  (#50) Old

Default 10-29-2010, 07:36 AM

I read that the processors used are fairly unimpressive. I just bought an aluminum bodied HP triple core, 4gb ddr3, 15.6 led, etc, etc for around $500, I simply can't justify dropping $1k on a netbook. Then again that's why I got into the Mini 10v, I picked mine up for less than $200.

mini 10v | osx 10.6.8 on 106gb | win8 dev preview on 106gb | ubuntu 11.10 alpha on 106gb | nbi 0.8.4(modified) | 320gb | 2 gigs ram

« New iPad Clones with Android 2.2 OS | Because of FF with chromifox and caption plus, IE is a gonner. »