General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Default 10-22-2010, 07:04 PM

I'm glad Apple finally decided to come out with a netbook-esque unit. Like said earlier, I think $1000 is too much for a netbook-esque machine. Since I already have a mini9 running OS X, I have no need to get a second netbook. Even if I decided to upgrade my SSD to a higher capacity runcore unit I'd still be saving money in comparison. The mini9 would surely be slower, but it's not slow enough to turn it away. I use GarageBand and iMovie and such, and so far my main limitations with productivity software like that is the small 1024X600 display, which the higher res on the Macbook would be great if I needed the portability plus the screen size. Since I hardly travel with my mini9, I just use my external monitor and have no issues and everything is great.

I'd say the one ghetto thing I do is I have an external drive velcro'd to the top of my mini lol. With the 16GB SSD I'm super limited on storage, so getting by with a 250GB external drive has worked extremely well, but I can't get by with doing anything like GarageBand downloads requiring more disk space on the main volume than what I have available, etc.

But in the realm of netbook necessities, my mini9 does everything I need an OS X type netbook to do, so I'm good

mini9 w/OS X Leopard
nothing else special...
  (#22) Old

Default 10-24-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence10v View Post
Im in the same mind as you. As tempting as it is too walk into apple and walk out with the 11" today im thinking shall i go bigger. Its good to hear peoples comments that why im waiting a day or too. Views on the difference between 11" 13" and the macbook are very much appreciated.....T
I've never been interested in the 13" model, would rather just have a 13" Macbook Pro, but it really depends upon where you plan to use it. For instance, crammed in a coach seat on a long flight the thinness of it really doesn't help at all. When the guy in front of you slams his seat back you'll be watching your movie with the screen partially closed just like you would be on any other 13" machine. And more importantly there is no room left over on the tray table for your drink

I used a 12" Powerbook forever, did not want to give it up until I got involved with running OS X on the Mini. The 13" is just not ideal for hardcore travel, the Mini's are awesome and I'm sure the 11" Air is too!

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#23) Old

Default 10-24-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothtyper View Post
I've never been interested in the 13" model, would rather just have a 13" Macbook Pro, but it really depends upon where you plan to use it. For instance, crammed in a coach seat on a long flight the thinness of it really doesn't help at all. When the guy in front of you slams his seat back you'll be watching your movie with the screen partially closed just like you would be on any other 13" machine. And more importantly there is no room left over on the tray table for your drink

I used a 12" Powerbook forever, did not want to give it up until I got involved with running OS X on the Mini. The 13" is just not ideal for hardcore travel, the Mini's are awesome and I'm sure the 11" Air is too!
Totally agree with you. If you're after an ultra-portable osx machine then, well, you've already got one. However, if you need something with more power or something for travelling and a home machine then I think that the 1.4ghz CPUs are really going to limit you in the long run. I've decided against macbooks entirely, I've realised I've got my mini for travelling so I'm now eyeing up iMacs for a main home machine. Hope this helps.

Mac Mini 10v - 2gb Ram - 500GB WD SB - OS X SL 10.6.1
  (#24) Old

Default 10-24-2010, 08:49 PM

I'm sorry to admit it, but I am impressed with the new Macbook Air, its a netbook with up to 4GB of RAM, pretty much solving the main problem with netbooks. However, wasn't the entire reason that the iPad was made, because Apple (and I quote Steve Jobs here) "Netbooks are clunky, old and lacking in performance".....am I missing the point here?

To be honest, if I had the money I probably would splash out on one, except for the fact its over £1000 for a the basic model. Did nobody inform Steve that the whole point of Netbooks is that they're supposed to be cheap?

As I said, I would buy one, IF I WASN'T TYPING THIS ON A FULLY FUNCTIONAL DELL MINI 10V THAT COST UNDER £300 AND DOES EVERYTHING A NETBOOK IS SUPPOSED TO DO RATHER WELL.

Having said that, since the new MBAir has a glowing Apple on the back (oh and I have seen the Dell Mini mod) it will sell in the millions, because everyone wants to be in the "in crowd"

Not really sure how to finish this rant, and it probably sounds a little hypercritical of me, since I have and iPod, iPhone and now a Dell-Mini-Tosh, which to be honest is all I require unless I win the lottery...
  (#25) Old

Default 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM

The new 11" macbook air is not in the netbook category. With an 11" screen a core 2 duo processor,up to 4gb of ram and very high end hardware that is on the cutting edge of design.

edit:for the people only looking at the specs, apple products are very well made and you have to pay a higher price for their products.

Alpine White mini 9 | 32gb Runcore | 2gb Ram | 1.3 MP Webcam | OS X 10.5.7 | No BT (want to buy 2.1 internal module
  (#26) Old

Default 10-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
The new 11" macbook air is not in the netbook category
.....How is it not in the netbook category? its smaller than a 13" laptop and has no optical drive, thus its a netbook, the only difference is the price and RAM, but the Alienware M11X costs around the same price AND is also considered a netbook

Also, higher price for "quality" possibly, although I'd be more inclined to say higher price because of a brand name. I read an article that said an iPad costs around £150 to produce, so why sell it at such a high markup......because they can, people like the "exclusivity" of having something that their friends don't, it's a popularity contest and Apple are capitalising on it
  (#27) Old

Default 10-24-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay794 View Post
.....How is it not in the netbook category? its smaller than a 13" laptop and has no optical drive, thus its a netbook, the only difference is the price and RAM, but the Alienware M11X costs around the same price AND is also considered a netbook

Also, higher price for "quality" possibly, although I'd be more inclined to say higher price because of a brand name. I read an article that said an iPad costs around £150 to produce, so why sell it at such a high markup......because they can, people like the "exclusivity" of having something that their friends don't, it's a popularity contest and Apple are capitalising on it
Netbooks are small, inexpensive companions to a notebook usually just for surfing the web and light work. I've never heard of a netbook with a core 2 duo and high end integrated graphics. People do pay the higher price for the brand name because they know apple products are high quality, have great reviews, the highest in customer satisfaction and an os that was made to run on a few machines not tens of thousands of different machines. Yes it is a little higher priced but you get what you pay for.

Alpine White mini 9 | 32gb Runcore | 2gb Ram | 1.3 MP Webcam | OS X 10.5.7 | No BT (want to buy 2.1 internal module
  (#28) Old

Default 10-24-2010, 10:57 PM

Ive read all the posts and wondered if one of the OSX users who posted on this thread, would help me out with a thread i posted yesterday in the OSX section. I originally stated at the post at the beginning i was going to go for the mac 11. Well im now minded to to just put mac SL on my mini 10v as many of you have done. Help would be appreciated .OSX on mini 10v

Mini 10v Black. Win XP, Bluetooth.
  (#29) Old

Default 10-25-2010, 01:46 AM

First time my wife ever looked at a Mac and said "I WANT THAT!!!!" She's got one coming this week. it's 4x the price of a mini 10v, but it really is so much more...
  (#30) Old

Default 10-25-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Netbooks are small, inexpensive companions to a notebook usually just for surfing the web and light work. I've never heard of a netbook with a core 2 duo and high end integrated graphics. People do pay the higher price for the brand name because they know apple products are high quality, have great reviews, the highest in customer satisfaction and an os that was made to run on a few machines not tens of thousands of different machines. Yes it is a little higher priced but you get what you pay for.
Have you seen the Alienware M11X, it supports up to 8GB and has a Core 2 Duo, thats an expensive netbook with high end graphics

« New iPad Clones with Android 2.2 OS | Because of FF with chromifox and caption plus, IE is a gonner. »