General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Thats the exact dilemma im going through. As computers get new models so quickly nowadays they become dated too quick. on this occasion im going for it though, as want OSX but dont feel confident enough to put it on my mini10 and keep it running stable as knowledge is not as good as some on here. Must say im impressed with people who get all the dual booting with OSX & Windows.

Mini 10v Black. Win XP, Bluetooth.
  (#12) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 10-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Could get a pretty tasty [url=http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m11x/pd]Alienware M11x[/ul] for that price.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#13) Old

Default 10-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
It may well satisfy some people looking for a Mac netbook. The price is certainly better than before, but I'm disappointed at the now-"ancient" Core 2 Duo processors they're using. Couldn't they have stuck a Core i3 in that thing? Graphics are rather old too, though more capable than the Mini 9, to be sure. Prices are still too high in my opinion.
I believe the nvidia geforce 320m used in the new macbook air is the fastest integrated graphics on the market. You can actually play some of the better games at decent frame rates.

Alpine White mini 9 | 32gb Runcore | 2gb Ram | 1.3 MP Webcam | OS X 10.5.7 | No BT (want to buy 2.1 internal module
  (#14) Old

Default 10-21-2010, 11:19 PM

well yeah it's about 3x as expensive as a 'new' 10v hmm but the biggest draw for me is OSX I love it and want one.. can I also say I totally agree with the concept that touch screen doesn't belong with laptop desktop design M$ have got that wrong, you may hate Mac and many do but they are always on the money..

people want quite and flash gives them that..

I see the ipad v netbook war as a form factor thing more than anything and the netbook form just feels more natural, technologies change of course ergonomics don't..

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 10-22-2010, 12:10 AM

I read some more. No SD slot, only two USB ports. Yes, the 320m graphics are good and for many people that may make the difference. But the processor is relatively pokey, especially in the smaller model, and the storage is not upgradeable with standard parts. Does look like a nice package, though.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#16) Old

Default 10-22-2010, 04:31 AM

I wouldn't consider the new small MacBook Air as a "Mac Netbook" at all.
To start with, it's more than three times the price - the main attribute of a netbook is a low price and even in Appleland, the price would have had to come in at around $450 to $500 for the small Makbook Air to compete in that market segment.
Lack of SD slot doesn't really bother me - it's something I use so seldom that I can live with a 99 cent SD-to-USB adapter for the times I do need to read an SD card; I would much rather have an extra USB slot instead (which is what I opted for on the Mac Mini).
The three USB ports on the Dell 10v are nice, but what really impressed me was that the right USB port on the 10v can drive up to 2 amps (at least it's spec'd that way.
I can plug any 2.5-inch external USB drive in there and run it - with the MacMini I often have to use two USB ports to get the extra power.
Biggest problem in the 10v I find is the display resolution which won't let you run certain programs like iMovie for instance. That was rather unexpected but I'm not complaining - the Mini 10v runs SL extremely well - beyond my expectations.

Mini 10V, OSX 10.6.4, 1GB RAM, 320GB/7200 HD, BT, WiFi
  (#17) Old

Default 10-22-2010, 07:02 AM

Good comments and points both for and against the mac 11....Im going to go for one as i said before as i want something very small that runs OSX well. Im aware that people put OSX on there minis. But there is a lot of things that need patching after, and im not that advanced a user to feel comfortable if i had problems with it. The thing is now 11" or 13" maybe i should ask the wife her opinion on that one...
The comments on the processor was interesting? Im presuming the Mac 11 one is better than the atom in a mini, but not as good as what could be in it.

(#18) Old

Default 10-22-2010, 09:09 AM

I'm serioiusly considering this new air too. At the moment I'm using my mini as my main machine because I love OSX so much. Got it hooked up to a 22" monitor with mouse and keyboard and I'm actually pretty happy with it for day-to-day tasks. I just need some more power for multitasking where the mini lacks. Thing is, once you get up to the £850 mark for the base air you can get yourself the macbook. Which is far more powerful, gigabit ethernet, faster frontside bus, optical drive, standard 2.5" drive bay (nice and easy for upgrading), plus upgradeable ram to 4gb, 13" screen, plus a battery which lasts twice as long (up to 10 hours!!). It just seems like the more logical option. The cons are the look/feel, thickness, weight and flash memory standard.

Mac Mini 10v - 2gb Ram - 500GB WD SB - OS X SL 10.6.1
  (#19) Old

Default 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Im in the same mind as you. As tempting as it is too walk into apple and walk out with the 11" today im thinking shall i go bigger. Its good to hear peoples comments that why im waiting a day or too. Views on the difference between 11" 13" and the macbook are very much appreciated.....T

(#20) Old

Default 10-22-2010, 11:30 AM

MacBook Air (13-inch) first hands-on! (update: video!) -- Engadget

Here's a 'first hands-on' video and pictures. Gives you a very good idea of just how small and thin these macbooks are. It certainly does look amazing.

As for differences between the 11" and the 13" the only differences are more storage and slight cpu speed bumps. The high end 13" which will set you back about £1300 gives you an option to bump the 1.86 ghz up to 2.13 ghz for around £80. They both can only have 2gb ram and neither have a backlit keyboard.

In all honesty, in my eyes, £850 is a hell of a lot of money to be buying a macbook which is aimed towards the travelling consumers. For that money, I'd be expecting far more power e.g. core i3 cpus and 4gb ram. In my situation, I have my mini for the travelling and i'm looking at getting a machine which has more power and will be upgradeable in the years to come. Tell me what you think.

Mac Mini 10v - 2gb Ram - 500GB WD SB - OS X SL 10.6.1

« New iPad Clones with Android 2.2 OS | Because of FF with chromifox and caption plus, IE is a gonner. »